The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 19, 2021, 12:16 PM   #26
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezerbiker
I wish I could post pix right now.
Geezer, you can post pics right here on the forum.
When you're typing a post, use the button underneath the post window that says "Manage Extensions".
Upload the image there, close that window and in the same area as that button will be a link to your image. Right click the link, choose "Copy Link"
Then in the post window, click the button that looks like this and paste the link there.

If you need to resize it to fit the window, I use Adobe's online image resizer
Old April 19, 2021, 05:31 PM   #27
Geezerbiker

If this picture posts OK, I'll get a couple close ups showing the problem.

Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg K-Hornet_1sm.jpg (221.5 KB, 56 views)
Old April 19, 2021, 09:28 PM   #28
Colorado Redneck

She's a beauty!
Old April 19, 2021, 11:47 PM   #29
Geezerbiker

Well here goes. These 2 pics show the chamber and rounds catching on the way in. The standard .22 Hornet rounds were some very old Winchester cases from some rounds that I thought were too old to shoot so I pulled them down ages ago. I only had 4 but that was enough for making some dummy rounds for testing.

The second fail to feed pix is with my fire-formed but much later production Winchester brass.

I'm going to split this up over a few posts so all the pix don't all end up in one post...

BTW, that's a factory Ruger stock and part of the reason I fell in love with it on first sight... Now to only get her shooting as good as she looks.

Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg K-Hornet_chamber.jpg (218.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg KH_loadfail1.jpg (121.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg KH_loadfail2.jpg (105.2 KB, 47 views)
Old April 19, 2021, 11:50 PM   #30
Geezerbiker

These next 2 pics are close ups of the mag loaded. The fist pic has my standard Hornet dummy rounds and the second pic is with my K-Hornet rounds.

In my opinion the H Hornet rounds actually point up a little higher but that could be the more pointed bullets. Either way it's a no go...

At one point I was able to poke at it with my finger enough to make the round pop out of the mag and it still wouldn't feed.

I think it's safe to say the problem is with the rifle and not the magazine.

I have 2 mags for this rifle and one has a problem. Even with standard Hornet rounds it will stick after feeding a couple rounds and I have to shake or slap the side of the rifle to jar it loose. I think that one has a weak spring but I haven't done due diligence for finding a new spring for it. I've also forgotten out to take these mags apart.

Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LoadedMag1.jpg (174.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg LoadedMag2.jpg (168.9 KB, 38 views)
Old April 20, 2021, 12:07 AM   #31
Geezerbiker

I eMailed all these same pix to the gunsmith and I told him as politely as I could that I think he failed to radius the edges of the chamber mouth and that's why it won't feed.

What say all of you, am I right or crazy? Well probably both but that's another story...

Tony
Old April 20, 2021, 08:06 PM   #32
ATCDoktor

Geezerbiker,

I have a Ruger 77/22 that Randy at CPC rechambered to 22k Hornet.

Here’s a pic of the chamber area and you can see that the lip/edge of the chamber is ever so slightly radiused/broken.

I also have a Ruger Model Ruger Model 77/17 chambered in 17 Hornet and as you can see the chamber lip/edge is chamfered as well (more heavily than my Model 77/22).

IMHO (as you’ve surmised) your barrels chamber needs to have that edge chamfered/radiused/broken as well.

Reference magazines, both my magazines feed and eject 22K Hornet with no problems. Problem is that I can’t remember if I had Randy at CPC fix my 77/22 mag to feed the K’s or not (most probably he did).

Magazine from my 77/17 is on the right, 77/22 on the left.

Reference my rifles, both are fairly unremarkable in the looks.

My 77/22H is a first year gun I bought brand new from a small gunshop in Cypress California in 1995 for the princely sum of $200.00 (it had sat there for a year with no one interested in it and the gunshop owner wanted it gone). It was converted to K Hornet back in 2008 and I had the barrel threaded for a suppressor about 6 years ago. I replaced the stock trigger with a model from Rifle Basix and it has been exceptional.

The 77/17H is fairly stock except for another Rifle Basix trigger and threaded barrel.

Both have been used fairly vigorously with the 77/22H accounting for many thousands of jackrabbits and a few coyotes; it’ll hold groups into an honest one inch with my handloads.

The 77/17H is exceptionally accurate and it’s factory performance/trajectory lives up to its advertised hype in that sighted one inch high at 100 yards, it’s dead on at 200 and 6 inches low at 300. It’ll cut half inch groups at 100 with factory ammo (when I do my part) and is devastating on jackrabbits.

It’ll knock a jackrabbits head smooth off (when the bullet is properly placed) out to 125 yards.

Old April 20, 2021, 09:35 PM   #33
Geezerbiker

Nice rifles. Thanks for going to the effort to post chamber pix. It shows for certain that the smith that installed the barrel on my rifle clearly skipped a step on cambering the barrel. He told me to ship the rifle back and I'm going to do that tomorrow and I hope he doesn't charge me any more to radiusing the back edge of the chamber.

To be honest it was the first thing I noticed when I got the rifle back (the bolt was out.) I figured or at least hoped he knew what he was doing.

I had my barrel threaded for a suppressor too but the way the economy and things are going I'm doubtful I'll get one...

BTW, Ruger made this rifle in .17 Hornady Hornet for awhile and I ordered one of those mags last night. I figure it'll be less work to get to feed K-Hornet than a standard Hornet mag...

That way I'll have 2 good mags and a 3rd if I can ever get the second one I have to stop sticking. I've had it apart a dozen times and can't find anything wrong with it. If I could find a new spring to buy, I'd order one...

BTW, I had a Handi Rifle single shot converted to .17 Hornady Hornet about 5 or 6 years ago. I haven't gotten nearly enough opportunities to shoot it as I'd like. Here's to a ground squirrel problem in my sister's garden again this year...

Tony
Old April 21, 2021, 08:48 PM   #34
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezerbiker
Thanks for going to the effort to post chamber pix. It shows for certain that the smith that installed the barrel on my rifle clearly skipped a step on cambering the barrel. He told me to ship the rifle back and I'm going to do that tomorrow and I hope he doesn't charge me any more to radiusing the back edge of the chamber.
You're better man than I. I wouldn't let that guy touch the gun again. I think I'd fix it with a Dremel first.
Old April 21, 2021, 10:31 PM   #35
Geezerbiker

I considered that but if I buggered it up, I'd only have myself to blame. If he makes it worse, I can hope to get him to pay for the mistake... I also hope this was just an over site and he will make it right.

Tony
Old April 22, 2021, 12:24 PM   #36
Geezerbiker

Well she's on the way back. I insured it for the full value I'm into it and I hope it has a save round trip and comes back to me fixed properly this time.

BTW, I bought a new .17 Hornet mag off eBay for not a bad price. I was pleased that it holds all 6 .22 K-Hornet rounds. I can only assume that it will feed OK since the rifle was on the way back before I collected the contents of my PO box. This mag was cheaper than most places charge to convert a standard .22 Hornet mag to K-Hornet...

Tony
Old April 23, 2021, 04:27 PM   #37
m&p45acp10+1

If I were you I would keep my eyes peeled for a CZ 527 American in .221 Fireball. I have one that was willed to me by my great uncle. With the sporter barrel it shoots like a laser beam at 100 yards. With either 40 or 55 grain bullets. I missed out on picking up one at a local shop a while back. They had it for $550 plus tax. The single set trigger is something you have to shoot to understand. Even not set the trigger is awesome. Also the rifle is still under 7 pounds even with my heavy long 6-24x44 varmint scope.
Old April 23, 2021, 09:21 PM   #38
Geezerbiker

When I bought this rifle there was also used CZ in .22 Hornet right next to it for the same price. I bought the Ruger because it had been converted to K-Hornet. I'm still kicking myself for that decision...

Tony
Old April 27, 2021, 12:29 PM   #39
Geezerbiker

Latest update. The gunsmith eMailed me and said there's nothing wrong with it and sent a video of it cycling rounds with him closing the bolt very quickly. To me it looks like he's pounding the round in.

So you've seen the pix. Could it be that by closing the bolt slowly like I typically do, could cause the rifle not to feed or is he BS'ing me...

Tony
Old April 28, 2021, 11:04 AM   #40
ATCDoktor

I’ve never heard of a bolt gun who’s action had to be operated smartly to feed.

Leverguns, sure, but not a bolt gun.

I assume he’s using factory ammo or his own handloads in his video.

Could it be that the rounds he’s using have the case mouth ever so slightly turned in not unlike a crimp to facilitate feeding?

Regardless, I’d ask him to break the chamber edge while he’s got it and pay him for his trouble.

The alternative is to have him ship it back and do it yourself.
Old April 28, 2021, 11:30 AM   #41
jetinteriorguy

What the heck is this guy’s problem? If he was a smart businessman he’d just fix your problem no questions asked. But apparently that would hurt his apparently massive ego. He made a product that isn’t working and should just fix it and be a man about it. It’s not like you are making some ridiculous request, and it would take him less time and effort to just chamfer/radius the breech than it takes to go through all this BS.
Old April 28, 2021, 12:38 PM   #42
Geezerbiker

I think you're right about it being an ego problem. I asked him to just send it back and I'd cover the cost and this morning I got an eMail saying he's sending it back "and oh by the way, I slightly radiused the chamber since you asked."

If it feeds when I get it back, I'm going to consider this thread ended and I'll start a new one about how well it shoots.

BTW, this gunsmith is in Eastern Oregon and if you really want to know PM me and I'll say who it is but I don't want to go as far as spreading sour grapes on the net about him...

Tony
Old April 28, 2021, 12:43 PM   #43
ATCDoktor

I guess you’ll never know if he radiused the chamber mouth before or after he made you a video.

Hopefully it works as it should when you get it back.

If it works as it should be sure to give us an update on how it shoots.
Old April 28, 2021, 01:11 PM   #44
Geezerbiker

I'll post once more about the work when it comes back then I'll start a new thread about how well it shoots. I've been loading ammo and it looks like the other 2 mags I have for it both need a little work. I'd like be all ready to go shooting when I get it back...

Tony
Old April 29, 2021, 07:25 AM   #45
jetinteriorguy

Well at least good on him for doing what you asked, and good on you for giving him the chance to take care of this while keeping him anonymous. Hope everything works out for you.
Old April 30, 2021, 09:02 PM   #46
Geezerbiker

Well it's back and he did chamfer the chamber but oh so lightly. However it was enough to make it feed properly. The .22 K-Hornet dummy rounds I sent came back and all of the are dented from rough cycling.

I'm tempted to use a felt polishing wheel on my Dremel with a little polishing compound to smooth it up a little more. I figure I can't screw it up with that slow of metal removal rate...

Anyway I expect to get it out and shooting pretty soon so hopefully my next report will be how well it groups.

Tony
Old May 1, 2021, 07:14 AM   #47
jetinteriorguy

I figured it wouldn’t take much. Sure can’t hurt to polish it a bit. You could even start with valve lapping compound and work up to something like Flitz.
Old May 1, 2021, 08:40 AM   #48
RGRacing

Just want to comment that this was one of the most interesting post I've read in a while - I don't have or shoot said round - I do Reload 22TCM and loved all the comments and Pics -

Thanks for this - Great read.
Old May 1, 2021, 09:21 AM   #49
jetinteriorguy

I have an RIA 1911 with a 9mm and .22TCM barrel and would love to get a rifle and reload for it. A nice light bolt gun would be fun, but the ones from RIA don’t seem to get the best reviews and are hard to find. A nice CZ would fit the bill but not much chance of that. This thread does have me yearning for a .17 Hornet though which I think would be very fun. Keeping my eyes open, it will drive me nuts waiting for dies, brass, and components to show up once this crunch gets over.
Old May 1, 2021, 05:04 PM   #50
bbqncigars

That "gunsmith" either did not learn proper machining, extremely lazy, or just incompetent. One of the first lessons taught in my early metal classes was to break all the edges when machining was complete. A chamber entrance needs to have a smooth transition for the incoming cartridge. I've had to work on a few of my guns to enhance feeding. It usually doesn't take much, and frequently only at the five to seven o'clock area at the bottom.