The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 27, 2021, 11:30 AM   #1
tpcollins

Carlson turkey choke for 20 ga question

I have the Mossberg SA-20 semi auto shotgun with the Carlson .568" #70155 Long Beard choke that I used with #5 and #6 Winchester Long Beard shells.

I have since switched to Federal #9 TSS shells and they pattern nicely out of my 20ga.

Carlson now makes TSS choke for #9 shot at .555” (model 38018).

Would I see a significant improvement by using the Carlson .555" 38018 choke or would it be negligible? Thanks.
Old January 27, 2021, 12:49 PM   #2
Virginian

Only way to know it to pattern it, and what do you define as 'significant' ?
I would think the smaller harder shot would do okay through the smaller tube and possibly give slightly denser patterns at the center.
Old January 28, 2021, 01:33 PM   #3
bamaranger

choke

As noted, the only way to tell for sure is to buy/shoot and see. I do have some comments about choke and patterns for gobblers.

I think one reaches a point of diminishing returns with ultra tight turkey patterns. I too shoot the Winchester xR Longbeard shells in my 12 gauges and they pattern significantly tighter than any other lead load I've ever shot. They kill gobblers with authority, and I've gained a bit of range with them, possibly 10 yds or so, useful when hunting open areas like fields, ROWs, that sort of terrain. But.....

The XR loads are so significantly tighter inside 30 yds that you have to really be ON that gobbler. There is little slop (check that, NO slop) in that close range pattern. If one has to shoot in a hurry ( as I did last spring, first morning) you had better have him centered, or you'll miss (I did). Mount the gun wrong, shoot from an awkward position (it's turkey hunting you know) shoot quickly, and you may miss him up close.
All that to say that the super hard TSS space shot is just more of the same.

I'm not really sure I need the extra range the the super premium lead, or the space shot loads offer. Certainly useful out in the open, but in the woodlands, once the foliage comes out especially, it's hard to see incoming gobblers much past normal shotgun load ranges. One thing that helps is a better sighting system. I switched from beads to rifle sights on my gobbler gun thirty years ago, and I knew I was onto something. I went from rifle sights, to an optical sight called the See-All for a couple of seasons, and recently have switched to a Leupold low powered variable 1.5-5x. When that cross hair centers the wattles, he's done for at any reasonable range. I lose some versatility with the shotgun, but since it's a dedicated gobbler gun anyhow, it doesn't bother me.

What I've done the past few seasons, with the scoped gun, is to hunt the XR loads early season. Once the foilage comes out, I switch to the more affordable XX's and hunt those, I bought a large number of the XX loads when they first came out, and save the XR's for the following spring. You might do the same with the TSS fodder. I don't want to pay the high cost of space shot, lead has been working good for me, especially the new premium lead like the XR. however, hunt what you want and have confidence in, I wish you the best and a good season with lots of hunts and gobbles.

I heard my first gobbler YESTERDAY MORNING while sitting in a late season deer stand, he gobbled about 10 times at a crow!!!
Old January 28, 2021, 03:22 PM   #4
eastbank

i use 1-1/2 oz tss #9(weight same as # 5 lead) in my 20ga to give me a deadly pattern at 35 yard with a light weight shotgun and have a burris fastfire 3 on it,( extra barrel so i don,t have to shoot it in every year with the costly tss shells).