The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 22, 2013, 02:35 PM   #1
ZVP

Doublegun layout?

Being relativelly new to double barrel side by sides, I have a couple questions.
The right trigger (forward trigger) shoots the right bbl and the rear shoots the left. This is the way my Stoger is set up.
It stands to reaason that the right barrel is the more open choke for closer shots and the left is a tighter one for longer shots, correct?
I should always fire the gun roght then left?
ZVP
Old March 22, 2013, 02:51 PM   #2
Lucas McCain

You have a choice.

That the purpose of twin triggers or in the case of a single trigger, you have a selector button.
That is why it is advisable to pattern you shot gun and check for pattern density at various yardages and loads.
There is more than likely going to be occasions where conditions dictate all you want to use is the full choke. and firing the modified barrel is only going to waste a shell and delay and effective full choke shot.
Old March 22, 2013, 06:24 PM   #3
BigD_in_FL

Double triggers give you instant choke selection - especially useful when hunting birds that might flush close or far - and you don't know which first. For my upland, I prefer double triggers - it took me three shots on the 5-stand to get used to them and I won't have another SxS that doesn't have double triggers
Old March 23, 2013, 12:20 AM   #4
zippy13

Quote:
I should always fire the gun right then left?
Typically you'll want to fire your tighter choke second, but not always. If your targets are incoming, then you may want your tighter choke first.
Old April 4, 2013, 01:38 PM   #5
Husqvarna

think this is a point for people to debate.

some say for birds or clays they want to bigger chance of hittting the already hit bird with the second shell, hence a bigger spread becase it is further away.
Old April 4, 2013, 02:24 PM   #6
BigD_in_FL

If the birds are always going away, then you fire the open choke first, then the tight choke because the birds will be already at a distance. If they are coming towards you, then use the tighter choke first, followed by the the open choke as they get closer