The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 3, 2012, 06:43 PM   #1
flintforever

Shipping a ruger old army?

I like to ask can you ship threw the USPS Priority mail registered ?
I stop by fed-ex They said maybe not sure called Untied parcel again same situation
I called a local gun shop he say it can go in the mail no need for a FFL to transfer the firearm.
I stop the post office spoke with the postmaster He was not sure so the book came out with the laws
I read some of the laws in the book but the funny part it stated at the bottom of the page percussion ignition,curio can be shipped threw the Post office
any comments on the above subject
Old December 3, 2012, 06:51 PM   #2
mykeal

Black powder firearms (long guns and hand guns) can legally be shipped using the US Post Office, Federal Express or United Parcel Service.
Old December 3, 2012, 07:00 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

BP firearms may be shipped via USPS. Go with the fixed rate Priority Mail as its probably the cheapest way to ship it. Buy insurance.
Old December 3, 2012, 07:15 PM   #4
flintforever

///

Last edited by flintforever; December 4, 2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old December 3, 2012, 08:17 PM   #5
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Put it in a box and ship it. It isn't classified as a firearms so you don't have to jump through any hoops or ask any anti-gun clerk for permission.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old December 3, 2012, 08:56 PM   #6
Captainkirk

+1 on that. Shipped plenty of BP guns USPS.
Don't ask, don't tell.
You're not breaking any laws, but some USPS employees don't know that.
Old December 3, 2012, 10:19 PM   #7
Rigmarol

I just shipped out two Dragoons and I chose FedEx because my research showed the other two, USPS and UPS, are a bit tougher to get your insurance claim paid. USPS was the worst for paying out claims.

My info came from the owner of a shipping store I know. He's a friend and wasn't just trying to get my business.

I insured my guns for $2,000 and he said that USPS wouldn't even touch it without knowing what was inside. BP handguns are not "guns" but it's still up to whoever is behind the counter and in charge that day. I went with the least possible hassle and the best probability of getting an insurance claim paid.
Old December 3, 2012, 11:25 PM   #8
mykeal

Quote:
USPS wouldn't even touch it without knowing what was inside
Not true.
Old December 4, 2012, 07:38 AM   #9
Doc Hoy

ROA.....

....will fit in an 11.00 flat rate box.

Thats a good way to go.
Old December 4, 2012, 09:17 AM   #10
Rifleman1776

I agree with others. I ship using 'click 'n ship' from my computer and home. No firearms questions are asked. You can insure with a click.
Dealing with a clerk at the P.O. can be an exercise in frustration. Right/wrong does not enter into the equation, just a brief power grab by a bureaucrat.
Old December 4, 2012, 01:02 PM   #11
mykeal

Quote:
Dealing with a clerk at the P.O. can be an exercise in frustration. Right/wrong does not enter into the equation, just a brief power grab by a bureaucrat.
Very true.
Old December 4, 2012, 09:22 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

FWIW, if someone mails an item that is banned from the mails for whatever reason, the fact that the post office clerk does not ask the contents of the package does NOT make the shipment legal.

If the shipment comes to the attention of the postal authorities, the sender could be in deep trouble and "they didn't ask me" or "I didn't know" is not an excuse that will go over big in Federal court.

Jim
Old December 4, 2012, 11:44 PM   #13
Rigmarol

Quote:
USPS wouldn't even touch it without knowing what was inside
Quote:
Not true.
Sir, with respect, You were not there when I was told that I could not insure the contents for $2,000 without showing what was inside. I did not lie, I spoke the truth and repeated what I was told.

No matter, FedEx got em out for me no problem.

Can you insure a flat rate box for $1,000? If so I could possibly have wasted some money by not going that route... Oh well.
Old December 5, 2012, 07:21 AM   #14
mykeal

Quote:
Sir, with respect, You were not there when I was told that I could not insure the contents for $2,000 without showing what was inside. I did not lie, I spoke the truth and repeated what I was told.
Apologies. I did not mean to say that didn't happen. I was wrong to say it the way I did.

What I meant to say was that a USPS clerk is not authorized to ask what is inside any package. The clerk in your instance was acting outside USPS regulations. You could have refused to answer, asked to speak to the postmaster and filed a written complaint. However, I would do the same thing you did; I've done the complaint thing and it got me nowhere.
Old December 5, 2012, 09:26 AM   #15
arcticap

We understand that it was just one postal clerk.
And sometimes even the local Post Master will make a mistake.
But one postal clerk does not speak for the entire USPS, especially if he has made a mistake.
The Post Office does have a national customer service hot line that usually gives correct information that can be used to help correct a Postal employee that makes a mistake.
Just keep saying "customer service" to the computerized prompt that answers the phone and you'll get a live person that will look up the regulations and provide the correct information.
Then the clerk or the Post Master can also call and speak to them to verify the information.
The Post Office gave me such a hard time once that they even called the BATF, but they did end up shipping the package.

Quote:
Customer Service

We're here to help. For General Information, Suggestions, and Complaints, please select the way you'd like to contact us from one of the options provided....

Call us

Call 1-800-ASK-USPSĀ® (800-275-8777)

M-F - 8:00 am - 8:30 pm ET
Sat - 8:00 am - 6:00 pm ET
Sun/Holidays* - Closed

https://www.usps.com/customer-servic...er-service.htm

Last edited by arcticap; December 5, 2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old December 5, 2012, 09:47 PM   #16
Rigmarol

Quote:
Apologies. I did not mean to say that didn't happen. I was wrong to say it the way I did.
No problems on this end sir.
Old December 10, 2012, 03:21 PM   #17
flintforever

all went well gun delivered no problems buyer very pleased
Old December 10, 2012, 05:11 PM   #18
4V50 Gary
Staff

And happiness reigned throughout land.