The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 5, 2021, 03:53 PM   #1
Capt Rick Hiott

Tell me about the ATN X-Sight 4K Pro IR Scope

Tell me about the ATN X-Sight 4K Pro IR Scope.

Does any body here use one?

If so,,,,howya like it?
Old June 5, 2021, 10:45 PM   #2
ocharry

Hi Rick..

I have the 3-14 and I like it OK...I had some problems with the first one I had...it would just freeze....after it went back three times...they did pay shipping both ways...they finally sent me a new one...it seems to be OK...

If I was going to do it again I think I would get the 5-20...just because it starts at 5 power...I seem to use mine in that range....when I turn mine up 3-14 it gets kinda grainy past 5-6 maybe 7..still usable but I think the 5-20 would get you more in the 10-12 power before that happens....I'm just guessing on that

Also the ir light that comes with it is not very good past 100 yrds....again it works but at like 150 it is not to bright......but I did buy a hog light xl66 I think it is....and man that thing will light it up....200 yrds...no problem....I would give that light 5stars all the way..I bought the extra switch for the light that is a rheostat.... That way I can have what ever amount of light I need...it works like a charm. Plus the hog light runs on 18650 rechargeable batteries...if you can't tell I REALLY like that light

I like it..it works and with the hog light...them varmints and vermin can not hide...lol... Yep I own the night

Ocharry
Old June 6, 2021, 05:34 AM   #3
stagpanther

Mel 80 on this forum is an expert on them. I have the 5 x 20 pro--thing weighs a ton and is awkward to use IMO--but it does give you amazing features at a low price point. It's Chinese-made, so don't expect Nightforce reliability. It's mainly a curiosity thing for me and doesn't take the place of sharp glass.
Old June 6, 2021, 08:08 AM   #4
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
It's Chinese-made, so don't expect Nightforce reliability.
Chinese made isn't necessarily a bad thing, but customer service is and ATN does not have the reputation of being good at customer service.

I would suggest a Sightmark Wraith instead. If you have a problem with a Wraith, Sightmark will take good care of you.
Old June 6, 2021, 10:27 AM   #5
ocharry

i will say stag is right on the mark.... Mel 80 is the forum expert...for sure

and these things are NOT anywhere in the good glass class..it is NOT a target scope and i dont think it was ever intended to be, but it does do what it was intended to do fairly well, in the day light and in the darkness...like i said,they are Ok...you have to remember it is like a cell phone camera with a long tube to look through...like i said it works....what i really dont like about the thing is the wait when you turn it on..it has to boot up , i guess thats what is happening...and like stag said....it is bulky and heavy

and also like Double Naught said their service department does leave a little to be desired....not the best i have ever had to deal with

so ..... i agree with stag that it is a kind of a curiosity thing..yes it works ok..are there better, maybe but not in this price range, i dont think anyway.....it does do some things i really like...the video thing is pretty nice...and i use this one most of the time at night for pest control....it works ok for that

not sure why i jumped back in on this...clarification on my part i guess..lol

ocharry
Old June 7, 2021, 05:33 PM   #6
Capt Rick Hiott

Thanks guys!!
Old June 17, 2021, 01:32 PM   #7
MurBob

I've heard about ATN's having a lot of problems.

I have a Pulsar Thermion XP38 and I like it a lot.

Honestly, I wouldn't touch an ATN.. I'd stick to either Pulsar or go up a notch to a Trijicon.

oops.. never mind.. just realized you're looking for IR and not thermal.
Old June 18, 2021, 03:09 PM   #8
drmajor

Heavy!!
Old June 21, 2021, 12:10 AM   #9
stagpanther

Quote:
Chinese made isn't necessarily a bad thing
Not always--but very often.
Old June 21, 2021, 06:07 AM   #10
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Not always--but very often.
LOL, a response typed into a computer or phone likely made in China or made with 30% or more Chinese parts.
https://www.androidauthority.com/70-...china-1146888/
https://www.theatlantic.com/china/ar...-chart/278366/
https://blog.cheapism.com/american-p...america-16404/

China makes the vast majority of the world's semiconductors...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ication_plants

If you buy cheap stuff from China, you can expect it to be cheap, no doubt. People frequently overlook the good stuff made there, however.
Old June 22, 2021, 11:34 AM   #11
stagpanther

China does make some great things--but in my experience quality optics isn't one of them.
Old June 22, 2021, 12:57 PM   #12
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
China does make some great things--but in my experience quality optics isn't one of them.
Okay, these aren't traditional optics, but electro-optics, a different game of sorts.
Old June 23, 2021, 12:00 AM   #13
mel80

they arent the best thing out there but they are affordable specially for what u get
custmer service has been lacking in the past as ive seen( though ive never had an issue with any of my units ) , but i can say without a doubt they have goten much better with cs in the past year

i have personally used the x sight hd 2 3-14x ( old gen )
4 k pro 5-20x new gen
and have hands on experiance with the new ltv's ( most clarity, and lightwieght ) but lacking built in balistics calculator etc etc
ATN ThOR 4 640 4-40x

as ppl have seen some of my videos ive made 400-500y kill shots on racoons in the dead of night when u cant see ur hand 2 inches from ur face, ive goten a 600y coyote kill at night in a smokey enviroment.

and my daytime shooting with these scopes has me pushing the absolute limits of them, and the calibers im shooting out to 1800/1900/2000 yards , infact im supposed to be getting some custom firmware from atn to extend the ranges i can use it at

first things first dont waste urr money on the x trac and or the atn ir's , there garbage
second the apps for ur phone/tablet are buggy as hell and cause scope freezing issues when used.
Third. crappy sd cards can cause all kinds of issues , be sure to use geniune brand name class 10 cards 32gb or smaller

theese scopes take a long time to get used to and to learn how to setup and use properly yes u can get it out of the box get it zeroed and use it just fine rather quickly. but taking the time to learn everything about it and how to adjust and set it up makes a world of difference in the user experaince and what u can do with it

ps this page can save u considerable money on a setup
https://www.atncorp.com/refurbished

properly setup and knowing how to properly setup the scope u can get great results
not long range by any means btut heres a 204 yard target mid day with 10 mph winds i shot on sunday with the older gen x sight hd 2 3-14x

if u have any specific questions about the scopes and or features just ask