The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 28, 2021, 07:00 AM   #101
hounddawg

tuner 1

go to the hardware store and get a 10 cent hose clamp. Try it, it has made me a believer in tuners. Today I am ordering a real tuner for my .308 build which I want to be able to use magazine length ammo and one for my Kidd 22. Here are my results testing Remington Thunderbird bulk ammo shot at 50 yards. It has been sitting in my safe for a few year now and was purchased at Bass Pro back in 2017 on sale at $5 per 500 limit of 5 boxes. I bought five and had the wife buy five. Just used it in the handguns for plinking until last week
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2021-06-25-04-35-0001.jpg (406.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 2021-06-25-04-35-0002.jpg (423.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 2021-06-25-04-35-0003.jpg (442.4 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by hounddawg; June 28, 2021 at 07:06 AM.
Old June 28, 2021, 07:03 AM   #102
hounddawg

tuner part 2

I will make a ful post on th ereal tuners when I get them in but for ammo you can't handload or at least vary the jump on that 10 cent hose clamp has made me a believer

Position 15 and 16l gave good results
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2021-06-25-04-35-0004.jpg (429.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg barrel tuner 1.jpg (89.2 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by hounddawg; June 28, 2021 at 07:09 AM.
Old June 28, 2021, 07:49 AM   #103
stagpanther

Hounddawg--your rifle looks almost identical to mine--how's the trigger? I'm pretty much convinced I can't do much better without getting the pull down.
Old June 28, 2021, 08:09 AM   #104
hounddawg

my rifle is a 12 year old 452 model, the trigger is non adjustable but I did change the spring out with one from a ballpoint pen with a couple of coils removed, and did a very light polish on the sear. I have never bothered buying a pull gage so I have no clue.

I am a bit of a oddball and like a 1 - 3 pound pull. My least favorite trigger is on my bench rifle, a Jewel with a 4 oz pull. Just ordered a Triggertech (4oz to 2 pound) for my .308 build and have it adjusted at the maximum - 2 pounds

just practice by dry firing and putting the ball of your finger on the trigger and pulling straight back. CZ's can be dryfired safely

here is a link for a replacement spring if you want to get it lower

https://www.yodaveproducts.com/store...57_Spring.html

Last edited by hounddawg; June 28, 2021 at 08:23 AM.
Old June 28, 2021, 12:20 PM   #105
stagpanther

Already have a yodave on the way--but it takes a while coming from Canada.
Old June 28, 2021, 12:53 PM   #106
hounddawg

According to RF Central go down to the local Ace Hardware and get a Ace Hardware #144 spring.
Old June 28, 2021, 02:08 PM   #107
stagpanther

I figured probably a cheap spring at a hardware store would do it. I've got some "home improvement" components coming in this week and next.

Last edited by stagpanther; June 28, 2021 at 06:00 PM.
Old June 29, 2021, 11:53 AM   #108
stagpanther

Very surprised to find the yo Dave spring arrived from Canada this morning, I thought it would take much longer. Install videos make it seem pretty hard, but I have the advantage of having assembled dozens of AR's so I'm used to drifting tight pins in and out and have a wide selection of punches for the job. My impression is the actual "choke point" for the 457 trigger pin is the hole in the trigger itself; so keep the pin straight relative to the holes in the housing and the trigger itself and it only takes a few good whacks with a hammer. One trick I like to do when driving pins into an AR's gas block is to maintain alignment of the pin by inserting a punch in the opposite side from the one I'm driving the pin through--it works just as well with yodave's little delrin block.

The good news is the trigger pull has dropped from 2.5 lbs to 8 ounces! The bad news is that I can no longer use the trigger as an excuse for not shooting well.
Old June 29, 2021, 12:19 PM   #109
hounddawg

Quote:
The good news is the trigger pull has dropped from 2.5 lbs to 8 ounces! The bad news is that I can no longer use the trigger as an excuse for not shooting well.
lol

you may want to try a 10 cent hose clamp if all else fails. I have became a big believer in barrel tuners. So much soi I ordered an Ezell for my .308 and a Sinclair for my Kidd .22. This morning I played with CCI Std Vel. When I started I was getting a vertical stringing, using my calipers I moved the hose clamp forward .002 at a time. By the time I moved it .012 thousandths I was getting consistent bugholes at 25 yards.

here are a couple of targets I shot for the cheap ammo contest over on the CZ forums. CCI SV Four groups of four shots averaged out for .249 average at 25 yards and .423 average for 50 yards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2021-06-29-12-45-0002.jpg (168.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 2021-06-29-12-45-0001.jpg (101.8 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by hounddawg; June 29, 2021 at 12:25 PM.
Old June 29, 2021, 12:41 PM   #110
wbbh

Another try wi SK Semi-Auto ammo.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1561.jpeg (75.9 KB, 98 views)
Old June 29, 2021, 03:17 PM   #111
stagpanther

I have suffered from projectile dysfunction (PD) for much of my adult life, which has led to deep feelings of inadequacy due to not be able to perform when it counts. Cutting Edge bullets has a solution and just had a prescription filled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5184.jpg (133.7 KB, 106 views)
Old July 4, 2021, 08:34 AM   #112
stagpanther

I noticed someone has almost swept the top row--my hat is off to them! It takes me about 3 minutes to set up EACH shot; to be able to sweep all the targets in that time is a feat of absolute masterful shooting.
Old July 4, 2021, 08:40 AM   #113
MarkCO

Shot a few Friday night, but the video sucked. I did not seat the camera all the way in the holder. Will try again on Wednesday. Got a bottom row clean, but the only way I'd clean the top row is at 5' or luck.
Old July 4, 2021, 10:23 AM   #114
stagpanther

Quote:
but the only way I'd clean the top row is at 5' or luck.
Definitely need a very good scope, rig and ammo--that's for sure. I mentioned half in jest that I was going to come up with some great handloads to set a new bar--but someone would have already done that I think if it were that easy. I think you and your rifle are going to need be pretty proficient of getting .5 MOA at 50 yds to get the top row (which I guess is why Bart brought up the .5 grail). I think it can be done on a good day with the right gear (though all shots within 3 minutes would be amazing); right now I think I'm pretty consistent at around .7 MOA but getting that lower is going to be much more of a chore than I thought it might be. I can't get over how much my reticle moves around, seems much more than my bigger caliber rifles and it drives me crazy!
Old July 4, 2021, 11:36 AM   #115
Mr.RevolverGuy

It is very tough shooting outside, though on an indoor range someone has stated they have cleaned the top row twice -- I am waiting for the pictures he says feels like cheating when everyone else is shooting outdoors.
Old July 4, 2021, 11:44 AM   #116
MarkCO

My rig is 1/4 MOA capable with the $15/box match ammo indoors. But I am too cheap to buy it.

I will be shooting indoors on Wednesday, so we will see if I have a good day or a bad day. The three minutes part does not bug me. I am working on getting 5 shots off at 300 yards, all hits on a 10" gong with the same rifle. I have made 4 hits and I can get them all in the air, just end up with a miss or two. So that is 5 shots in 1 second.
Old July 4, 2021, 11:46 AM   #117
stagpanther

Quote:
My rig is 1/4 MOA capable with the $15/box match ammo indoors.
Well, you got nothing to worry about then IMO--go send it!
Old July 4, 2021, 11:52 AM   #118
stagpanther

Quote:
It is very tough shooting outside, though on an indoor range someone has stated they have cleaned the top row twice -- I am waiting for the pictures he says feels like cheating when everyone else is shooting outdoors.
Your friend is to be commended for sparing the rest of us from "not worthy PTSD."
Old July 4, 2021, 12:01 PM   #119
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Well, you got nothing to worry about then IMO--go send it!
Best I got is $5/box subsonics, but they will still be fun.
Old July 5, 2021, 01:37 PM   #120
stagpanther

Printed 10 targets and ventured out for some shooting! I decided it was time to get serious with the caldwell (un)stable table so I yanked the seat off altogether, replaced the flexible plastic table top with a stiffer wood one and brought out some braces to stabilize the wobble. Helped a lot--but did not totally eliminate the wobble. still an improvement over what it was.

Conditions were nice and challenging--a beautiful sunny day though windy with a crosswind gusting to almost 20 at times and thermal instability was prevalent. This made shooting a game of constantly adjusting the zero and never knowing for sure if could keep it at one setting. Still great fun! I think I'm starting to get a better feel for the rifle and how it likes to be shot, requires great "delicacy" in setting up the shot and pulling the trigger. For the first time I felt "I can definitely do this."

I had 4 targets that nailed 3 of 5 of the top row targets--and this one. The 22 point looks too close to call, but when I took a very close look the shot just nicks the dot, and after carefully considering the handicap of the conditions and last night's half a fifth of Bushmill's Irish whiskey--I ruled in my favor.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5216.jpg (241.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5215.jpg (234.0 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5217.jpg (202.0 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; July 5, 2021 at 01:49 PM.
Old July 5, 2021, 03:08 PM   #121
MarkCO

Outstanding!!!
Old July 5, 2021, 03:11 PM   #122
stagpanther

Thanks--your turn.
Old July 5, 2021, 03:37 PM   #123
MarkCO

Wednesday
Old July 5, 2021, 03:46 PM   #124
jdc606

barrel tuners

Quote:
Originally Posted by hounddawg View Post
... has made me a believer in tuners.
Hello hounddawg,
Have messed with an inexpensive Limbsaver brand in the past and agree they are effective. I'm sure you're already aware they need to be adjusted for each flavor ammo. I have 200rds CCI sv target I'll dial in next time out in an attempt to sweep the top row of Mr. RG's challenge. Attached an earlier damper test target to demonstrate their effectiveness.
The grid is 1/2" squares. Numbers with arrows represent scope adjustments. Numbers with " indicate tuner distance from muzzle. Supposed to cool off a bit during the coming week and this activity keeps me interested and out of trouble.

Last edited by jdc606; August 31, 2021 at 05:08 PM.
Old July 5, 2021, 04:07 PM   #125
Mr.RevolverGuy

WOW beautiful day and great shooting.

Stag email me the pictures so I can post them on the site.