The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old December 4, 2020, 02:58 PM   #1
Pistoler0

The Firing Line v The High Road

Hello,

I just read that The High Road is a "sister forum" to this one.

what is the difference between the two? Do they have different focus?
Old December 4, 2020, 10:29 PM   #2
pwc

I'm a member of both. Sometimes see the same post on both; gets wider coverage that way. Both are well moderated, and keep extraneous posts away. Good people on both sites.
Old December 4, 2020, 11:02 PM   #3
FITASC

Personally, I prefer the software upgrade on THR, more user friendly IMO. many of the Mods are either Mods or members on both.
Both have the pros and cons.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 5, 2020, 02:14 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I'm a member of both. Sometimes see the same post on both; gets wider coverage that way. Both are well moderated, and keep extraneous posts away. Good people on both sites.
That is just from people posting their questions/stories/new purchases on every forum they frequent.
The sites are not tied together in the sense of sharing a database, or anything like that.
Old December 5, 2020, 07:02 PM   #5
jmr40

I don't recall the exact details, it happened before I started posting at either place, but TFL came 1st. There was some sort of disagreement over the type of posts allowed and THR was started to be a more heavily moderated forum. That is the reason for the name "The High Road". If you post there you are expected to be polite and take the high road.

The differences were settled long ago. Both are very similar now. You get a little more freedom as to what is acceptable to post here, but even this site is well moderated.

THR gets a lot more traffic, but both are good.

Winston Churchill
Old December 5, 2020, 07:22 PM   #6
FITASC

And yet, THR started another site called NoTechTyranny where there is no censorship and topics like politics are not disallowed.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 5, 2020, 07:27 PM   #7
cslinger

The way I remember it from back then Rich was going to or did shut down TFL. I don’t remember the specifics, I just seem to remember TFL going away or potentially going away and hence THR was formed to sort of fill the gap.

TFL either didn’t go away or came back but both sites continued as their own entities.

I don’t ever remember any specific animosity at play.

Again this was a long time ago and I could have my facts wrong even though I was there.

THR has a history of spinoff sites. There was a forum called the round table early on that was sort of for the off topic stuff and that eventually spun off to its own site.
Old December 5, 2020, 08:26 PM   #8
pwc

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
And yet, THR started another site called NoTechTyranny where there is no censorship and topics like politics are not disallowed.
No Tech Tyranny....remind me to never go there. Gun forums are for gun talk. There are plenty of other forums or better yet join a social network and pick a side. Doesn't belong on THR or here.
Old December 5, 2020, 09:03 PM   #9
FITASC

NTT isn't a gun forum, so your criticism is completely off base.
Old December 5, 2020, 09:45 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I thought the Armed Polite Society was the sister site for TFL where political and non-firearms topics are allowed. I have seen multiple references on that site to being a sister site to TFL.
Jeepaholic
Old December 6, 2020, 08:12 AM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I don't recall the exact details, it happened before I started posting at either place, but TFL came 1st. There was some sort of disagreement over the type of posts allowed and THR was started to be a more heavily moderated forum."

No. No disagreements (at least nothing that would cause a schism.

The other of TFL decided to take some time off and shut TFL down to pursue other interests and actively looked at passing the mantle on to someone else by helping them establish a new forum.

That was The High Road.

After a few years, the owner here decided to reopen TFL.

No competition, nothing like that. The two forums have always (or at least for a long time) worked closely together. Many of the staff that started here served at THR; some still do, as well as serving here.

Armed Polite Society was an offshoot of THR and was started as, some have mentioned, a place for more far ranging discussions, including those about firearms, but also just about everthing else.

APS has a politics board and a culinary board, as well.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 6, 2020, 01:12 PM   #12
recoil junky

If I want to read posts/threads by ignoramouses I go over to 24 Hour Campfire.

I don't get on there much.

RJ
Old December 6, 2020, 01:43 PM   #13
pwc

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
NTT isn't a gun forum, so your criticism is completely off base.
No, not at all...if it's politics, let it stay politics, if it were about guns, let it be about all things firearms.

Political opinion is like a'holes, everyone has one, most folks keep theirs covered, others feel they have to moon any and all who have gathered together.