The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old August 11, 2020, 10:45 AM   #1
Forte S+W

Would it be permitted to post a Poll on the Civil Rights Subforum regarding Pro-2A Candidates?

I was thinking of posting a poll on the Civil Rights/Law Subforum in regards to the importance of whether or not a political candidate's stance on the Second Amendment influences their vote, but a similar poll posted on another firearms forum within their Second Amendment Subforum ended up getting me suspended because apparently it was against the rules eventhough it seemed to me that it fell within the subforum's guidelines, so I just wanted to make sure if it's okay to post a similar poll here.

Please note that the poll would be strictly dedicated to the subject of whether or not a political candidate's stance on the Second Amendment in general had any influence on individual votes. (With a simple "Yes, Maybe, or No" style of voting choices within the poll.) No specific names of political candidates, political parties/affiliates, or other such divisive subjects would be mentioned and any discussion thereof would be strictly discouraged within the thread in bold text.

Would such a poll be permitted here on The Firing Line? And if so, where should it be posted, the Law and Civil Rights Subforum or elsewhere?
Old August 11, 2020, 12:34 PM   #2
stinkeypete

Can’t we just talk about shooting and things that go “bang”? I come here to escape politics. No matter what out persuasions, we all enjoy this sport.
Old August 11, 2020, 01:02 PM   #3
Forte S+W

Believe me, I don't enjoy discussing politics at all and if the option were available, then I would just post a straight up Poll, sans discussion or even the ability to leave comments on said Poll. I'm really more interested in the results of the Poll than any discussion on the matter.

That being said, there are already plenty of discussions dedicated solely towards the topic of firearms and shooting, so assuming that I receive clearance to post such a Poll/Thread, (which I probably won't) you can always just ignore it. Assuming you haven't already done so, mastering the art of resisting the impulse to click on threads that you already know will annoy you is a valuable skill on internet forums. That's not a snarky remark either, I myself used to struggle with exercising the restraint to stay away from threads discussing subjects of annoyance, but have since learned to just ignore them and am a happier person for it. No sense in stressing over a discussion that's going on in the background.
Old August 11, 2020, 06:51 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Please refer to forum rule 5.d
Jeepaholic
Old August 14, 2020, 03:19 PM   #5
Double K

I'd like to see a poll on what percentage of shooters are democrats, that would be really interesting because I've never seen one---ever. Consequently I have no idea what that number would be.
Old August 14, 2020, 10:19 PM   #6
Mal H
Staff

If you created that poll here, you would have no clue whatsoever as to the real answer to your question. It would have to be carried out by a neutral agent, and include far more shooters from all parts of the country than frequent this board.
Old August 15, 2020, 04:13 AM   #7
Hal

Quote:
I'd like to see a poll on what percentage of shooters are democrats, that would be really interesting because I've never seen one---ever. Consequently I have no idea what that number would be.
Head on over to the liberal gun forum for starts.
Then head over to the Huey Newton Gun Club's website after that.

Those two will get you started on your journey.
Old December 4, 2020, 04:26 PM   #8
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double K View Post
There is quite a few of them.

I'd post a poll, if it is allowed. The only thing is that the poll would represent the % among The Firing Line members, not the general gun owning population.

Members of The Firing Line are gun enthusiasts, and I don't know what % of the general gun owning population could be described as such.
Old December 4, 2020, 05:02 PM   #9
Double K

If I had to guess there's 5-10% on here that would identify as democrats just because that's what I see at the local gun clubs, add another 5-10% who are "never Trumpers" or RHINO's "republican in name only".
Very few people actually identify as right wing conservatives in my opinion, but if they honestly filled out a questionnaire way more than 50% would qualify as fitting into that group imo.
As an example
Almost know one believes that abortion is the right thing to do, they may believe it's necessary but still wrong morally.
Almost know one believes our country can survive financially with open borders and welfare programs.
Almost everyone believes the government doesn't have the right to disarm it's citizens or set laws into effect that will eventually lead to that outcome.
Those are all solid conservative values that the leaders in the democratic party state they support.