The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Closed Thread

Old February 28, 2012, 02:13 PM   #26
MrAcheson

Quote:
It amazes me that so many in the SASS don't use more original guns and settle for the repros, but I'll make an exception where the USFA guns are concerned.
It doesn't amaze me at all. SASS is really hard on guns and especially on originals. You're going to break springs and other stuff. Which is why a lot of people shoot more modern guns like Rugers and why even the Italians have made subtle design changes (like coil springs where possible) in their reproductions. And that's not even touching on finish wear from all the holster use. Why would you take a beloved original and then shoot it to death in a competition? They aren't going to make more originals, but there are certainly lots of reproductions still being made.

My only complaint about the Bisley is that nobody near me stocks one. Ruger Bisleys yes, but Colt Bisleys? Nope. I'd love to try one out because the stock Colt grip just doesn't work for me.
Old February 28, 2012, 06:03 PM   #27
gunsmokeTPF

The Bisley grip is kinda odd looking. There are those that will never like it's appearance, or feel comfortable shooting it. The Ruger Bisley type grip appears more conventional and would probably be more acceptable to most shooters. The advantage of the Bisley style grip is that your hand tends to stay in position after firing the gun, unlike when firing the SAA people seem to allow their grip to slide down a bit after each shot. Plus the low profile hammer of the Bisley makes it easier to reach with your thumb to cock it. These two things help people with smaller hands a lot. I've been shooting SA Colts for over 40 years and feel comfortable with any style grip. Adapting to different guns never bothered me.

As far as the guns used by those in the SASS are concerned, when I say get an original if possible, I don't mean a $5000 gun to knock around. I have a couple that I refer to as having character where the finish is far from mint, but mechanically functions great. These old guns were meant to be fired and should be able to handle normal shooting. How many rounds do the SASS people go through each week? In over 50 years of shooting I've replaced a SAA hand spring that someone else broke and a hand in a Colt New Service made in the 1920's that was worn, which through off the timing. Maybe I'm lucky, but that's it. I'm talking guns in the neighborhood of seven to around 12, or 1300. I wouldn't gamble with damaging a family heirloom neither, which I don't have. I guess for those having money problems during these bad times may just have to settle for what they can afford. But many of these people are professionals and can well afford to go a few bucks more for an original. I don't know maybe I'm wrong, but shooting an original always made shooting more enjoyable to me.

We all have our priorities and what may seem important to one person may not be to another. I never had much to spend on this hobbie, so whatever I bought I always considered future value and possibly trading up for something better. I've let lots of guns go over the years that I wanted to keep, but sometimes you have to let things go for things you want more.
Old March 2, 2012, 02:02 AM   #28
Ideal Tool

Hello, I have a flat-top target Bisley (1902) in .32WCF. Original hard rubber grips were mint, so I removed & replaced with a nice old set of stags. Now these are really hand-filling..at first I thought they were too large for my hand, but after handling, I think they will be fine. I haven't yet had a chance to fire this old beauty. The sights are quite special. Rear is U notch with 1/16" wide ivory bars running from edge of notch to outside edges of sight. Front is a blade with the neatest 1/2 sphere of ivory set in face..about 1/16" dia. I have never before had a handgun feel so steady in my outstreatched hand ... It just seems to hang suspended, with the sights rock steady on a target. the balance is perfect. The dealer had it only a short time, before I purchased it. He said he purchased it from a very old gentleman..it was his dads..he had taken it in on trade from a Kansas farmer during the 1930's, for work done repairing a farm wagon & a well.

Last edited by Ideal Tool; March 2, 2012 at 02:07 AM.
Old March 2, 2012, 04:32 AM   #29
gunsmokeTPF

Ideal Tool now that's what I wanted to hear! The circumstances involving the way you got your gun was similar to me. Mine was from an elderly gentleman who brought it in on consignment and I saw it before anyone else did. It's possible that those sights were done by Colt. Check the front face of your cylinder as well as the grip straps for a matching series of 3 numbers. That would indicate work done at the factory. Very smart of you saving the original grips and putting on the stags. It seems that lot's of Colts and Winchesters were sent back to their factories to have work done during the 1930's, cause people didn't have much money to spare for the purchase of a new gun during the depression. It was cheaper just to have their current gun refinished, or customized to their liking.

I think your gonna love shooting that Bisley. The 32-20 was the most popular calibre in that model and for good reason, which I'm sure you'll come to realize once you shoot it. I bet your gun will be a tack driver and those sights are an indication of that. Mine has beautiful beefy stags as well, but the grips were converted to SAA. I've shot other original Bisley models as well as my .44 Cimarron Target Bisley plenty, so I know the feel of the original style grip and became very fond of it. If another original comes my way I'll grab it.

I'd recommend that one day you get a letter from Colt for that gun. The chances are they won't have info on any work done on it, unless it was military, but it's nice to know how it started out and to where it was sent. Besides, a letter will add to the value regardless of what it says. By the way, they charge an additional $50 for info on a Bisley.

Sounds like you got a nice gun and best of luck with it.

Last edited by gunsmokeTPF; March 4, 2012 at 02:29 AM.
Old July 10, 2021, 09:29 AM   #30
Dieselrock

Now i am going to revive a now 19 year old thread that was last accessed 9 years ago.

The Bisley, was actually used by Pancho Villa.

https://frontierpartisans.com/3623/f...-pancho-villa/
Old July 10, 2021, 12:44 PM   #31
bedbugbilly

An ancient post for sure . . . . but I'll add this. I purchased a Uberti 4 3/4" 357 Mag Bisley a few years ago . . . for anyone who has never handled or shot one - it is "different" from yje feel of a regular SAA - but I quickly grew to like it and it is one of my favorite SA revolvers to shoot. Hand size is probably a factor on whether a person would like the feel of a Colt or Colt clone Bisley IMHO - my hands are not huge or like hams. I have never had the opportunity to handle a Ruger Bisley to know how it compares to a Uberti, which I figure is a pretty true copy of a Colt. I find my Uberti Bisley very easy to cock and the wide trigger very comfortable. It took me a while to get used to the grip over that of my many other Uberti SAAz, but one I got used to it, it is a very easy revolver for me to point cycle and shoot accurately (as accurately as I can for my age and eyesight. I bought it knowing that I might not like it, but it took me only a couple of range sessions before I knew it was a "keeper". I have to believe that a person either loves a Bisley or hates a Bisley.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 10, 2021, 03:17 PM   #32
HighValleyRanch

This thread is as old as Poncho himself!
Old July 11, 2021, 06:54 AM   #33
Mike Irwin
Staff

Yeah... Let's just start a NEW thread and not resurrect one that's 20 years old...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread