The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 28, 2021, 05:31 PM   #51
stagpanther

Quote:
I am talking about wrapping your fingers around the barrel on your foreend grip and squeezing tight.
I understand your concerns about rust. I believe you over thinking it. Those rifles become almost self cleaning. They don't get themselves "clean" but you can shoot them and shoot them and shoot them before cleaning. If it's really bugging you, thought about fire lapping it? I am not a huge fan of it, but it's about the only option.
I believe every rifle is different, some foul up worse than others, some tolerate fouling more than others etc. This is literally a one shot, one kill rifle--or else the shooter himself may possibly end up the prey. I don't know how else to treat this other than the first cold bore shot must be as close to perfect as possible. I'm confident right now that I could hit the POA within an inch or so with the rifle cold, maybe even right on the POA. A foreend grip all the way around the barrel sounds a bit extreme to me and unnecessary with this particular rifle, I suspect an adrenaline-fueled death grip could very well cause a barrel pressure point distorting the bullet's path through and out the bore. Not saying you're wrong, just what I've observed shooting this particular rifle.
Old June 28, 2021, 06:05 PM   #52
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
I believe every rifle is different, some foul up worse than others, some tolerate fouling more than others etc. This is literally a one shot, one kill rifle--or else the shooter himself may possibly end up the prey. I don't know how else to treat this other than the first cold bore shot must be as close to perfect as possible. I'm confident right now that I could hit the POA within an inch or so with the rifle cold, maybe even right on the POA. A foreend grip all the way around the barrel sounds a bit extreme to me and unnecessary with this particular rifle, I suspect an adrenaline-fueled death grip could very well cause a barrel pressure point distorting the bullet's path through and out the bore. Not saying you're wrong, just what I've observed shooting this particular rifle.
I had your exact same thoughts about accuracy/pressure. Dangerous game rifles have their own set of rules. Accuracy is not nearly as vital in them as it is in other rifles. The vital areas are huge. How accurate were the old Holland and Holland doubles that killed countless thousands of the original big 3? I used to work for a man who killed 4 elephants, 3 lions, countless cape Buffalo. 1 or 2 Rinos. His 375 H&H double would shoot 4" at 100. 458 Win was about a 3" at 100 rifle. 416 Rigby was around 4". 460 Wby would shoot 1.5" but he never took it to Africa.

By the time I got to know him, elephants, Rinos, and lions were a thing of the past. He would still go every couple years and shoot a "Nyati" and a bunch of plains game. I had the Wby at one time. Still have the Ruger #1 Rugby. He bought it for his last trip and killed a Nyati with it.