The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old May 25, 2021, 04:28 PM   #1
FITASC

quoting post with author's name in it?

How to you quote a post with the author's name as well as the post?

Example:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
Very rare to see inertia guns on a sporting course during serious competition mostly because they are typically lighter than a gas or O/U and they do not like to function with low recoil ammo(factory or handloads). It isn't that they can't be used; and if that is what you have, then go ahead and use it. That said, if I am shooting a semi, it will be my Beretta smurf gun with a little added weight
That first part that shows name and View Post.........thanks!
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 25, 2021, 06:16 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I do it manually, since the auto quote feature is turned off for this site.

First, I highlight what I want to quote and hit CTRL+C to copy it to the clipboard.

Then I open a reply window and click the icon for a quote. That leaves me with a place to insert the cursor and paste the quote, like this:

[quote][/quote]

I put the cursor between the two sets of quote tags and hit CTRL+V to paste the quote. Now I have this:

[quote]Quoted text goes here[/quote]

Now ... go to the opening quote tag. Enter an equal sign after "quote" and then type the screen name of the person you are quoting:

[quote=FITASC]Quoted text goes here[/quote]

I'm sure there's an easier way to do it, but I've been doing it that way for years and it always works.
Jeepaholic
Old May 25, 2021, 06:19 PM   #3
FITASC

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC
Quoted text goes here
That's the part I was missing. Thanks!
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 26, 2021, 12:03 AM   #4
Mal H
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITASC View Post
How to you quote a post with the author's name as well as the post?

Example:

That first part that shows name and View Post.........thanks!
See the icon that looks like a quill pen on a sheet of paper in the lower right of a post? Click on that. Then you will be taken to the "Quick Reply" screen at the bottom of the thread. Check off "Quote message in reply?" in the Options box below the Message composition box. Enter your reply in the composition box, and press "Post Quick Reply".

Doing all that (it's far easier to do than to describe) will accomplish what you want to do. I have done that with your first post as an example. The small icon to the immediate right of the quoted member's name is a link to the original post.

I would suggest editing the resultant post to remove any of the quoted post that isn't pertinent to your reply. It's sometimes annoying to see a long post quoted just so the member can add a one liner.
Old May 26, 2021, 08:39 AM   #5
FITASC

Thanks!