The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old December 14, 2019, 06:22 AM   #1
bill460

Cannot Quote Someone's Post ???

Is there a minimum post count before this feature becomes enabled? I'm new here, and I can't quote someone's post. Nothing regarding "Quote" shows up on the Reply page. And there is nothing in the FAQ about it.

I can't contact an administrator about it, because whatever feature they are using here for an administrative contact, ("Cloudfare" or some such), is not recognized by my computer. So in that regard I'm sorry to have to post this in the General Discussion forum. But I don't know what else to do. Thanks in advance.
Old December 14, 2019, 06:26 AM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

As far as I know, there's no minimum count. Click the "Quick Reply to this message" button (lower right of the post you want to quote), and you'll be taken to the Quick Reply box. You won't see the quote there, but if you check the "quote message in reply box" it will show up in your post. I always check the "quote message in reply box" and then "Go Advanced" to reply so that I can see what I'm quoting

Welcome to TFL!
Old December 14, 2019, 06:48 AM   #3
bill460

On my screen there is no, "Quick Reply To This Message" button that appears anywhere on your post... Or anyone else's. All I get is an Edit button that appears on the bottom right of my own posts in any thread.

There is a, "Quote Message In Reply?" box under the "Quick Reply" box where I am typing this. However it won't allow me to click on it. No check mark appears. There is also nothing if I reply by using the, "Go Advanced" page. Just ,"Preview" and "Submit".

I should add that I'm active on a few other forums that use this type of, "V Bulletin" forum software, which is very common. And I have no trouble like this.
Old December 14, 2019, 07:01 AM   #4
BBarn

It's a goofy setup. The "Quick reply to this message" is a small button in the lower right corner of each post. Using that is the easiest way to quote from someone's post.

There isn't a quick way to quote using the "Post Reply" button in the lower left below the last post.

Nor does the "Quick Reply" box at the bottom of the page let you quote someone quickly either. There is a little box to check to quote someone, but it doesn't seem to work.

Last edited by BBarn; December 14, 2019 at 07:14 AM.
Old December 14, 2019, 07:36 AM   #5
bill460

That's the problem. I have no, "Quick Reply To This Message" button on the right corner of anyone's post. It simply isn't there.

If you are having trouble checking the little box to quote someone, than it's not my computer. It has to be something faulty in the forum's software. You should either be able to check the box or not. If more than 1 person cannot, it's not them, it has to be a software related problem.
Old December 14, 2019, 11:07 AM   #6
dogtown tom

To "quote" another post:

1. Click "Post Reply"
2. Highlight and copy the selected text.
3. Paste that text into your reply.
4. Highlight that text and click the "Quote" icon in the toolbar.
5. Done.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old December 14, 2019, 11:27 AM   #7
bill460

To "quote" another post:

1. Click "Post Reply"
2. Highlight and copy the selected text.
3. Paste that text into your reply.
4. Highlight that text and click the "Quote" icon in the toolbar.
5. Done.

I have no "Quote" icon on the toolbar. Where should it be?
Old December 14, 2019, 11:30 AM   #8
bill460

I even logged out, went to another site, then came back and logged in again. And nothing changed.
Old December 14, 2019, 01:25 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I have no "Quote" icon on the toolbar. Where should it be?
It's the thing that looks like a "text balloon" just to the left of "#"
Old December 14, 2019, 01:38 PM   #10
bill460

Quote:
It's the thing that looks like a "text balloon" just to the left of "#"
OK, got it. Thanks!
Old December 14, 2019, 01:44 PM   #11
JohnKSa
Staff

Here is the "Quick Reply" Button:

Here is the "Quote" Button:

Here is a link to a thread that contains a LOT of information on how to quote posts on TFL, or on any other forum that uses vbulletin software.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=323215
Old December 14, 2019, 02:40 PM   #12
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The problem, for people accustomed to other forums running vBulletin, is found in Mal H's post #6 in the link from JohnKSa's post above. vBulletin has a built-in function that allows registered users to easily quote entire posts. The problem that the powers-that-be at TFL perceived a long time ago is that this function allows registered users to easily quote entire posts.

Apparently too may people were just quoting entire, long posts when they were responding to only one or two sentences from within the long post. In order to eliminate that practice, the PTB turned off the auto-quote function. This dramatically reduced the amount of indiscriminate quoting, but it means that in order to quote something you have to really want to quote it, and learn how to do it. Some of our members never have learned -- when they quote another post, they just paste the text they want, put it in quotation marks, and go on from there.
Jeepaholic
Old December 14, 2019, 03:02 PM   #13
bill460

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa View Post
is the "Quick Reply" Button:

Here is the "Quote" Button:
As you can see I have the "Quote" button. I'm slowly getting the hang of this. Bear with me. It's the "Post Reply" button that has the little letter with the feather pen icon.

Last edited by bill460; December 14, 2019 at 04:05 PM.
Old December 14, 2019, 03:43 PM   #14
bill460

Another question. How do you get the little right facing blue arrow to appear next to the persons name who's post you are quoting? It is a hot link that allows you to view that persons original post by clicking on the little blue arrow.

Even if I include the persons name, (like I did JohnKSa in my above post quote), the little blue arrow link does not appear.
Old December 14, 2019, 03:46 PM   #15
bill460

Never mind... I got it. This is worse than learning to drive a stick shift!
Old December 14, 2019, 04:28 PM   #16
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I've never notices that arrow. Now that you figured it out, how about sharing with the rest of us?
Jeepaholic
Old December 14, 2019, 04:46 PM   #17
Eazyeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill460 View Post
Never mind... I got it. This is worse than learning to drive a stick shift!
Just practicing. I’ve never tried to quote before. Sorry if I interrupted anything.
Old December 14, 2019, 05:09 PM   #18
bill460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyeach View Post
Just practicing. I’ve never tried to quote before. Sorry if I interrupted anything.
Go for it! This is normally an automatic function on most boards. Now we have to practice letting the clutch out.
Old December 14, 2019, 05:19 PM   #19
bill460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
I've never notices that arrow. Now that you figured it out, how about sharing with the rest of us?
This is the link I got it from:

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=323215

Go to Al Norris's long post (#4). Read the last paragraph. He gives a good example how to do it....... "Just right click the post number, save the link to the clipboard and paste it into the quote command, then delete everything except the number itself."

You will want to right click on the post number. Then left click on, "Copy Shortcut". The number you will be looking for is in the 6 million, 700 thousand range. (7 digits). Then, like he say's, paste that number in, along with everything else it copied, then delete everything else except that number, right up until the semi colon you placed there after the posters name. So only that large number remains.

Last edited by bill460; December 14, 2019 at 05:27 PM.