The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 6, 2018, 12:10 PM   #1
stonewall50

Trading XDSC 9mm for G19 (Or G23)

So I think I’ve finally made up my mind. Everyone in my family seems to be joining the Flock of Block Glocks in 9mm. I’ve always been a fan of more rounds and longer barrels. But my current gun has the 3 inch barrel. And this will be a CCW gun too. So I have a few questions that I’d like to get answered if anyone can help.

1) Concealing a G19? How hard is it? From my understanding the length isn’t much longer than my current piece (like .60??) And I’m a big dude anyway. I live in Florida, so printing is easily done in the wrong clothing. Would it be about the same? I already dress around the gun. I just don’t have anyone with a ccw setup for the G19 (brother in law uses a 17 and he is LEO...so a bit different for him).

2) Thar extra barrel length? Does it help? 4 inch barrel vs 3 inch on my current.

3) I guess my biggest questions are is there a downside? Is there something I’m not thinking about. I like the idea of a longer barrel, concealable to the same degree (ish), and MUCH cheaper/available everything else.

I would likely just trade the old gun with accessories in, get a Galco hard IWB plastic holster (because I love my current one), and maybe 1 extra mag. Out the door I would probably spend $250 ish unless I upgrade to .40. But then...that may not be a huge upgrade from what I hear about the calibers (the performance increased negated by increased round count training and blah blah blah...not a caliber debate).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 6, 2018, 12:32 PM   #2
sigarms228

I find the Glock 19 fairly easy to conceal well IWB and fairly comfortable too but everyone is different. I CCW mine often. A good belt can make a lot of difference also. I wear a Beltman Bullhide gun belt. Holster is Ozark single clip kydex IWB.

Old December 6, 2018, 12:42 PM   #3
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigarms228 View Post
I find the Glock 19 fairly easy to conceal well IWB and fairly comfortable too but everyone is different. I CCW mine often. A good belt can make a lot of difference also. I wear a Beltman Bullhide gun belt. Holster is Ozark single clip kydex IWB.

Amen to belt. I’ve had the same leather belt for...9 years. Wore the name off it. Thing is stout. And carry looks the same as mine (though I do wear dry fit which means I have to be careful and make sure it is big).

Old December 6, 2018, 01:46 PM   #4
IdaD

I carry a 2.0C (19 size clone) and Shield, and to me the thickness is a bigger difference than the barrel or grip length. I'm 6' and about 170 so fairly thin, and I find that the Shield conceals quite a bit better and easier so I tend to carry it more in the summer or in indoor settings. I'm not real committed to "dressing around" my gun, though. The bigger gun is easier to shoot, faster and more naturally accurate plus has roughly double the round count, so it has some definite advantages.
Old December 6, 2018, 01:52 PM   #5
Tactical Jackalope

G19 is cake to conceal.

Then again my SIG P226 is fairly easy in my day in/day out clothing. Work, however is a little different.

For work I mainly carry my HK USP 9 Compact. The Glock 19 and Smith and Wesson 2.0 Compact are both just as easy.
Old December 6, 2018, 02:52 PM   #6
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
So I think I’ve finally made up my mind. Everyone in my family seems to be joining the Flock of Block Glocks in 9mm. I’ve always been a fan of more rounds and longer barrels. But my current gun has the 3 inch barrel. And this will be a CCW gun too. So I have a few questions that I’d like to get answered if anyone can help.
MMmmm. OK, "shoot".

I have a 3" XD subcompact and a 4 inch Glock 19. And a XD Service size. The XD-s are heavier and slightly larger than what you would think are the corresponding guns in the Glock line. The XDSC is pretty darn close to equivalent to the G19. IMHO & YMMV.

Quote:
1) Concealing a G19? How hard is it? From my understanding the length isn’t much longer than my current piece (like .60??) And I’m a big dude anyway. I live in Florida, so printing is easily done in the wrong clothing. Would it be about the same? I already dress around the gun. I just don’t have anyone with a ccw setup for the G19 (brother in law uses a 17 and he is LEO...so a bit different for him).
Can be done.

Quote:
2) Thar extra barrel length? Does it help? 4 inch barrel vs 3 inch on my current.
Probably. In my experience, yes. I have a 3" XD subcompact, and a 4 inch XD. And a 4 inch G19. The 4 inch guns is easier to shoot well. (Part of that is the longer grip.)

Quote:
3) I guess my biggest questions are is there a downside? Is there something I’m not thinking about. I like the idea of a longer barrel, concealable to the same degree (ish), and MUCH cheaper/available everything else.
Look into getting one of Tau Development Group's striker control devices. An extra bit of safety when re-hosltering the Glock.

Folks complain about the grip size and angle. If it turns out not to be for you, don't be drama prone. Just sell it and move on.

Quote:
I would likely just trade the old gun with accessories in, get a Galco hard IWB plastic holster (because I love my current one), and maybe 1 extra mag. Out the door I would probably spend $250 ish unless I upgrade to .40. But then...that may not be a huge upgrade from what I hear about the calibers (the performance increased negated by increased round count training and blah blah blah...not a caliber debate).
Gun shop won't give you much in trade.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; December 6, 2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old December 6, 2018, 02:55 PM   #7
lee n. field

Quote:
And, why? Is the XD subcompact not doing something you want? Or just looking for something different?
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 6, 2018, 05:12 PM   #8
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
MMmmm. OK, "shoot".

I have a 3" XD subcompact and a 4 inch Glock 19. And a XD Service size. The XD-s are heavier and slightly larger than what you would think are the corresponding guns in the Glock line. The XDSC is pretty darn close to equivalent to the G19. IMHO & YMMV.

Can be done.

Probably. I have a 3" XD subcompact, and a 4 inch XD. The 4 inch is easier to shoot well.

Look into getting one of Tau Development Group's striker control devices. An extra bit of safety when re-hosltering the Glock.

Gun shop won't give you much in trade.

I’m not expecting to get much in trade-in but there is a gem of a store that has great cash prices in my area. And they deal a lot in used firearms. They have a good rep on that. They have an indoor range so that helps.

Old December 6, 2018, 05:16 PM   #9
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
And, why? Is the XD subcompact not doing something you want? Or just looking for something different?

The XD is a good gun. But if I could go back? I would’ve gotten a Glock. Between holsters, parts, mags, and so on. That extra on the barrel is really calling to me too.

Old December 6, 2018, 05:39 PM   #10
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:

It's not hard to CC a G19. I did it for 3-4 years, primarily using an IWB hybrid holsters. I cc'd that way in everything from yard work clothes to suits, but I admittedly don't live in FL. If I were going to put together a carry setup for a G19 from scratch, I'd go with a Stealthgear Revolution for IWB, a DeSantis Speed Scabbard for OWB, and get a mag pouch for the opposite side of the body.
Quote:
I'll leave that one to better shooters than myself.
Quote:
Because I spend so much time in dress clothes, I finally downsized to a S&W Shield. If I lived more of my life in jeans or cargo pants, I'd likely still CC a G19. In fact, I often do still CC it when I'm not going to work.
Old December 8, 2018, 09:11 AM   #11
USNRet93

I sometimes CCW my Glock 19 using a Raven Concealment small, minimalist holster. In FL, as it gets warmer..you may want to look at a Bladetech Klipt or Vedder that keeps the gun off your stomach. I also have a G17(which I also carry sometimes, gonna today)..longer barrel but it's IWB so it doesn't make that much difference..the grip is a little longer but again, no big deal..G19 is pretty easy, get a good belt. It's certainly not heavy, compard to some of the monsters I see some carry but it's not sub 1 pound like my G42. Shooting compared to my son't G43 or my G42?..no difference in accuracy, for me...I did get a brighter front sight for all of them for my crappy, 68 year old, wearing bifocals, with a bit of double vision in RH eye, eyes..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 8, 2018, 11:49 AM   #12
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I guess my biggest questions are is there a downside?
Yes, trading the Springer!
It's a great gun so keep it. Just cut back on the Latres, lunches out, what ever to save enough to buy the Glock outright.

I made a similar change to my carry choice. Be it paranoia, or reality it seems bad guys are traveling more in packs these days. So round count took precedent over caliber. My Springer XD40 Sub Compact has been replaced in my carry rotation, but not my safe with a Sig P320 Carry in 9MM. 17+1 rounds of Federal HST 147 gr. over 9 (or 12) +1 of Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 40 S&W.
I don't have any problem concealing the Sig's full size grip with the compact size upper. Carries comfortably, conceals well, and shoots great.
On that note, you might want to try a G19X on for size. In a similar fashion to my Sig, the Glock is a full size G17 frame with a G19 slide.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 9, 2018, 09:18 AM   #13
USNRet93

Quote:
On that note, you might want to try a G19X on for size. In a similar fashion to my Sig, the Glock is a full size G17 frame with a G19 slide.
I just got one of these for my G-19 when using a 17r G-17 magazine..'feels' like my G-17 now..YMMV and all that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Magazine-Sleeve-For-Glocks_main-1.jpg (16.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg X-Grip-for-Glocks_main-1.jpg (16.3 KB, 14 views)

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 9, 2018, 01:56 PM   #14
stonewall50

As another user pointed out...didn’t Springfield do some pretty anti 2nd amendment stuff recently? I guess I have some reading to do now. :sigh:

Old December 9, 2018, 08:38 PM   #15
OhioGuy

My CZ P-07 is almost identical to the G19 in size and it's very easy to conceal in a good AIWB holster. I will say that it can make an obvious lump, but doesn't print like a gun. And the lump is only obvious to me, and only under a tighter shirt. Nobody looks there anyway and if they do they might just think I need a few trips to the treadmill

I had the XD subcompact and loved it, but I found I'm more accurate with a longer barrel. It's probably entirely because of the extra sight radius. I've begun shooting primarily with a red dot and so that sight radius is probably no longer important.

I also think it's time everyone let Springfield down off the gallows now. The company has explained and profusely apologized for the political stuff over a year ago and we have enough groups who truly do hate the second amendment, that I don't see the value in cannibalizing a major firearms maker. Maybe that's just me.
Old December 21, 2018, 09:09 AM   #16
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
My CZ P-07 is almost identical to the G19 in size and it's very easy to conceal in a good AIWB holster. I will say that it can make an obvious lump, but doesn't print like a gun. And the lump is only obvious to me, and only under a tighter shirt. Nobody looks there anyway and if they do they might just think I need a few trips to the treadmill

I had the XD subcompact and loved it, but I found I'm more accurate with a longer barrel. It's probably entirely because of the extra sight radius. I've begun shooting primarily with a red dot and so that sight radius is probably no longer important.

I also think it's time everyone let Springfield down off the gallows now. The company has explained and profusely apologized for the political stuff over a year ago and we have enough groups who truly do hate the second amendment, that I don't see the value in cannibalizing a major firearms maker. Maybe that's just me.

I know my biggest problem with pistols tends to be barrel length. Maybe my eyes? I mean? I’m not surprised. Shorter barrel DOES make a difference to some degree. My second is A bit too much finger on the trigger. Maybe from shooting revolvers or shotguns? Idk. More likely my lack of ability to practice daily like when I was younger (#city life).

As for the company? Like many? I’m skeptical they didn’t know what they got into with the bill. Further? It seems to me that is a pretty egregious sin for a gun manufacturer to make. Especially since it concerns their market. I myself will likely only be getting guns from small dealers for the rest of my life. Mainly BECAUSE of bills like that and a distrust of big box chains (Dicks or Walmart is a good example).

Old December 23, 2018, 12:03 PM   #17
hounddog409

Why do you feel the need to conform?

Do you like the XD? Have you shot the glock?

Shoot what you want, who cares what others think.

I would personally pick an XD over a glock.
Old December 24, 2018, 07:41 AM   #18
USNRet93

Shoot the ones you are looking at side by side if you can..Pick the one your hand likes the best...if it doesn't matter, get the Glock.
Reliable, accurate, not expensive..what a EDC gun is supposed to be.

"Tools not Trophies”