The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 23, 2018, 10:45 PM   #1
ks_wayward_son

Bull barrel selection

This sorta ties in with a previous thread I started about 10/22 upgrades, but pertains to bull barrels specifically. I decided I am going to get a bull barrel, but I will keep the old carbine barrel and stock in case I want to go back to factory for a hunting rig. I decided to pretty much trick this build out just 'cuz I can.

Anyways, I believe I have decided on a Feddersen bull barrel of either 16.25 or 18 inch; full bull no fluting. I am on the fence of whether I want threaded or not, but it would be dang cool to have a suppressor some day I suppose.

One of my main concerns is the balance of the rifle, and I would like good rigidity. I am not overly concerned about noise. I was leaning towards the 18 inch, but now I am rethinking the 16.25, plus the length would still be manageable if I ever went with a suppressor to attach to the 16.

If you have builds in both 18 and 16.25/16, or if you have shot and could compare both, which do you prefer for overall balance and performance? (This pertains to any manufacturer, not necessarily Feddersen).

Also, would you recommend a new/upgraded v block over factory, or keep the standard block? Thanks.

PS, as a side note, I think I will send in my 1990's trigger group to Brimstone for a Tier 2. Sounds like they do great work for the $$ from what I have researched.