The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 31, 2017, 11:10 AM   #1
ninosdemente

Hunting Scope

Decided to upgrade the scope on a Savage Model 111 30-06 that has a Nikon 3-9x40 BDC. Reason for upgrading is there's a Marlin XT-22 that does not have a scope. So instead of spending money on a scope for that, plan on putting the Nikon scope on the Marlin and buying a new one for the savage.

Unless the Nikon is better off on the Savage and just purchase a scope for the Marlin. Cabelas has a sale on Herters and Cabelas brand scopes, which they range from $20 - $60 if correct.

Savage I do use it on the range up to 200 yds besides for hunting. But do plan to get a bolt action 6.5 creed for shooting 200+ yds when I develop the skills to do so. The Marlin is only used at the range not passing 100yds. I borrowed a scope that would like to return once I mount my own on it.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advanced.
Old December 31, 2017, 01:11 PM   #2
burrhead

I think, bang for the buck, the best hunting scope on the market today is the Leupold 3-9x40 VX-2. On sale for under $240.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold...fle-scope.html
I have one on my go to deer rifle, a Browning X-Bolt, and for my use it's been outstanding. I paid $300 for it 5 years ago.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old December 31, 2017, 01:19 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

I have no idea who makes the scopes Cabela's slaps their name on, but you get what you pay for with optics. You're basically going from a brand name to a no-name scope.
Not seeing any $20 scopes on Cabela's' site. They do show a Nikon 3-9x40 BDC at $129.99 though. You'll need rings and bases too.
The Herter's start at $29.99. Herter's was the beginner of places like Cabela's. They went bankrupt in 1981. Prices like that are clearance prices and you will have no warrantee.
Old December 31, 2017, 01:19 PM   #4
ninosdemente

I do remember someone on a different thread mentioning the Leupold VX2. What do you like about it or what sets it apart from what I have? Thanks.
Old December 31, 2017, 01:29 PM   #5
ninosdemente

A worker at Cabelas said that Cabelas scopes are made by Nikon. But I have not done the research to find out if true.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunti...5.uts?slotId=0

http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunti...4.uts?slotId=2

I have some rings already for the Marlin. I am more inclined on buying a newer scope for the Savage and putting the Nikon on the Marlin. I have a more of a chance of using the Savage more than the Marlin.
Old December 31, 2017, 01:33 PM   #6
msk26ny

Try Sportsman’s Guide or Natchess for scopes, cheaper for the same scopes. Top notch, customer service in both places

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old December 31, 2017, 01:56 PM   #7
jmr40

Cabelas has numerous scopes with their badge on them. They are made by a variety of vendors. Nikon is most likely the maker of some, maybe most of them, but not all.

A VX-2 is a good scope, or used to be. I have concerns about newer Leupold products however. I'd still say it is a safe choice with their warranty, but it isn't a huge step up over the Nikon you have. The VX-3 would be a step up.

In the $200ish price range a Burris FF-II is the best deal going right now, but once again, it is only a slight improvement over the scope you have.

As a rule a MSRP of around $200 is where you start seeing decent scopes. You get a little better quality between $300-$500. Above $500 and you do get a better scope, but you have to throw a lot of money at one to see only a slight difference over a $400ish scope. I'm talking MSRP, that doesn't mean you have to actually pay that much.

The difference between a sub $100 scope and a $200 scope is huge. The difference between a $400 scope and a $1000 scope is very subtle and most of us won't be able to use the difference.

Within the same price range I don't see any real difference in glass quality. To me it comes down to which features you prefer. The scopes eye relief, controls, reticle, weight, length, and reputation for durability and ruggedness are the deciding factors for me.

Winston Churchill
Old December 31, 2017, 02:15 PM   #8
burrhead

I guess I misunderstood the original post; I thought the OP was leaning towards putting the Nikon on the Marlin. As to the Leupold being an upgrade over the Nikon, it depends on which Nikon he's talking about. If it's a Prostaff (and yes I had one as a backup once), the Leupold is an upgrade. If a Monarch, not so much. The adjustment tracking, glass and overall build quality of the Leupy is superior to the Prostaff and Buckmaster.

I agree with Jmr40 that the VX-3 is a definite step up and is worth the money but I have been very happy with my VX-2. We're only talking about a couple of hundred yards here.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old December 31, 2017, 03:32 PM   #9
Hawg

If you're going to buy a $60.00 scope put it on the .22.
Old December 31, 2017, 05:45 PM   #10
ninosdemente

Burrhead, yes I am thinking on putting the Nikon on the Marlin and putting a new scope on the Savage. Was not intending to put the cheaper scope on the Savage. Sorry if not clarifying.

Just instead of buying a scope for the 22, I would be willing to spend more on getting a better scope than the Nikon as I was told it was a lower end scope.

I would like a scope that is a step up from what I have and not slightly. But definitely don't plan to spend no more than $300-$400 for a scope. Hopefully this price range is adequate enough for getting a scope for hunting and occasional range shooting up to 200yds. If the VX-2 is not much better than the Nikon then as mentioned would like something better as the VX-3 as mentioned or something different.

Really appreciate the help.