The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 1, 2001, 08:17 AM   #1
booker noe

Home study courses

Has anyone tryed any of these home study courses for gunsmithing?I would really like to learn ALOT more,and get some kind of diploma.With a family,house payment,ect.,i can not go to school full time,and there are no schools close to my area.
Local smiths do not have the time,or desire to take on a part time apprentice.
Any suggestions?
Matt
Old November 1, 2001, 09:38 PM   #2
Ricochet

You might want to look into this.

www.americangunsmith.com
Old November 2, 2001, 08:02 PM   #3
cplough

I've used a few of the American Gunsmith courses, including their Trigger course and several Armorer's courses. They are helpful, but not a replacement for hands-on experience.

I find that they Armorer's courses are great for getting assembly and disassembly instructions, but highly recommend befriending a gunsmith. Even if you don't apprentice, you can learn a lot.

--Chris
Old November 3, 2001, 08:59 PM   #4
4 Eyed Six Shooter

I have taken a couple of mail gunsmith courses in the past and would reccomend that you just buy gunsmithing books. You get the same knowledge from the books as you do from the courses. Try eBay.com and look under gunsmithing. You can bid on books and pick them up for about half price. Another thing you can do is to offer to work for a local gunsmith for free doing any job including sweeping the floor and cleaning the equipment. I did this prior to going to the Colorado School of Trades and it really helped in my studies there.
You can get knowlege from books but the hands on experience is really the only way to correctly learn gunsmithing. There is just too much in the way of safety issues involving the firearms that you work on that you can not learn without someone who knows gunsmithing showing you. Good Luck to you - John Kaelberer