The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 29, 2001, 06:39 AM   #1
Point Blank

Glock "New York Trigger" Question

What does the New York trigger do?? Thanks for any replies.
Old October 29, 2001, 07:19 AM   #2
sleeping dog

It makes the trigger pull heavier, like a "real" double-action. It's for safety. Wait, no, it's for the appearance of safety in a lawsuit situation.
Old October 29, 2001, 08:16 AM   #3
Point Blank

Thanks so much..
Old October 29, 2001, 09:24 AM   #4
Walt Sherrill

Not only does it make the trigger heavier, for many shooters it makes the Glock trigger feel like a revolver, and some folks like that. (A couple of my friends have put NY Triggers on all of their Glocks, and their shooting -- in IDPA competition -- has not suffered from the change. Can't say its improved, either, but they like it.)
Old October 30, 2001, 06:29 PM   #5
stuckatwork

The urban myth behind the "New York" triggerpull on the Glocks is as follows:

The NYPD and State Police decided to go to Glocks to replace the revolver. Many of the officers who were trained on revolvers didn't like the softer pull of the Glock. So the NY Police services asked Glock to come up with a heavier trigger pull to help the veterines ease into the transition.

Like I said, this may be true, it may not.
Old October 30, 2001, 06:51 PM   #6
Jake 98c/11b

Another thing it does is limit the possibility of a failure. I am not a Glock fan by any means but they are better than average for reliability. One of the most common parts to break in the Glock is the trigger return spring, the standard spring that is. Good news, if it breaks while you are shooting it will more than likely still work but the trigger gets a little inconsistant (pull weight). I have never seen a New York trigger spring break. Truth is, I have never even heard of one breaking. I have seen the barrel lug shear off about 6 of them but not once has the NY trigger given any problem. Another nice thing, if you want the bullet proof durability of the NY trigger spring but don't want a heavier trigger pull you can use it in conjunction with a 3.5lb connector. You end up with a 5+ pound trigger pull that actually feels cleaner than the factory trigger (not hard to beat the factory Glock trigger).
Hope that helps.

P.S. An instructor at the Glock armorers school said that the NY trigger is a result (partially) of the NYPDs history of self inflicted gunshot wounds after transitioning to the Glock. I think he meant the NY+ as the NY trigger was specified in the original purchase requirements.
Old October 30, 2001, 09:33 PM   #7
STEVE M

I found that it makes the trigger pull the same from start to finish. (even if a bit heavy). The standard trigger is very light to start and then it stacks all at once.