The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 21, 2009, 12:28 AM   #1
Super-Dave

Federal tru ball slugs

If I am using a cylinder bore barrel what is the realistic group size I should expect to get using federal truball slugs?

George Orwell
Old December 21, 2009, 05:56 PM   #2
Super-Dave

I know ever barrel is different, but what size groups are yall geting with truball and smoothe bore barrels?

George Orwell
Old December 21, 2009, 06:03 PM   #3
ArizonaRick

Same as Lee's Keyed slug

I bought a box of the Fed Tru-ball's to see how accurate they would be in my 20" barrel (Mossy Mariner) and they grouped 3-1/4" at 30 yds from a sand bag rest. They where about the same compared to my Lee Keyed slugs 7/8oz hand loads. The big plus with the hand loads is you can load down to velocities that are comfortable shoot and the cost is very cheep ($4.00 for 25). The Lyman sabot slug is the most accurate slug to reload for the 12 gauge, I can consistantly get 2-1/2" groups at 25 yards and 5" groups at 50 yards from a smoothbore. If you do not reload, Tru-balls or Rem 1 oz slugs from Walmar (15 pack) are the way to go.
Old December 22, 2009, 05:35 PM   #4
wnycollector

With my 20" cyl bore maverick 88 I get 3-3.5" groups all day long at 50 yards off a sandbag. My maverick shoots Fiocchi and Federal truball slugs about the same. Brenneke slugs group in the 2.5-3" range.
Old December 22, 2009, 06:03 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Pie plate at 65 yards from an 18 inch cylinder bore 20 gauge with any old junk cheap slugs puts my gun in the "minute o' deer" range for me.
Brent