The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 12, 2018, 10:31 PM   #1
ninosdemente

Walmart Ammo

I will use 9mm for this thread as I have bought from Walmart. So I am near a Cabela's and Walmart is just across the street. I have read on separate threads/posts where people bash/dislike Walmart ammo. I, not being in the game long enough to adequately know any better. I have at times purchased Winchester ammo from both Cabela's and Walmart (has limited selections in various calibers). My skill level has not allowed me to see any difference if their is one.

Now I have noticed the same brand is sold at both stores but Walmart is $5-$6 less. The only reason why I buy at Walmart is I think of it where I can buy more boxes to get more. At least to me this makes sense.

Are those actually different somehow/quality is different that people refuse to buy from there or simply just purely dislike Walmart? I can imagine their policy changes made people not buy from them anymore (and Dicks). I have not bought ammo online only from Cabela's.

Would like to know those who don't like Walmart ammo, why not? (just curious, lol)
Old June 12, 2018, 10:44 PM   #2
GarandTd

I'd have to guess that it is a general dislike for the store, it's policies, and practices, as opposed to the ammo. I don't care much for Walmart personally, but it doesn't stop me from saving 20% on their ammunition.
Old June 12, 2018, 10:51 PM   #3
taylorce1

I'd buy at Wal-Mart as well if the same box of ammo was $5-6 cheaper than at Cabela's. There are far more Wal-Marts in the U.S. than Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops, so good old Wally World will have more purchasing power with manufacturers. There isn't any difference between ammo sold at WM and the same brand and type sold at a Cabela's, WM just doesn't carry the variety of ammunition a Cabela's will.
Old June 13, 2018, 12:10 AM   #4
riffraff

I only buy ammo at a store in a pinch.

I've got a zillion gun shops, a zillion walmarts (including 2 close that still sell guns even), and a bass pro that's a bit of a drive. Walmart in a pinch I can grab a box of 200 winchester 5.56 for ~$70, or an ammo can of 420 federal xm green tips for $175..

Somewhere between Lucky Gunner, Surplus Ammo, and Midway I can always find it cheaper than that. Last night I grabbed 500 rounds of Frontier/ Hornady 55 grain for $165/shipped, usually online the 420 rounds of green tips are more like $150 and at Surplus Ammo for instance shipping is free when you spend $250 so that's what I do.

The savings on .22, 9 mm, .40, which is what else I stock, is not so much of a savings online versus wally world, if at all, but I buy that at the same time - better to spend in one place and get the free shipping, or at least save on bulk shipping, versus buying little bits and pieces all over.
Old June 13, 2018, 12:35 AM   #5
ms6852

I buy mine at Walmart as I am surrounded by them, if they do not have what I want than I go elsewhere.
Old June 13, 2018, 05:41 AM   #6
fourbore

If it is the same box with same case and bullet weight it is the same ammo. I get the Federal brass case ball ammo in 9mm and 45 acp at walmart. Sometimes I get the aluminum case 45. All good performing - accurate and reliable.

The white box Winchester stuff does not shoot as accurate in any caliber in any of my pistols. I am not good enough shot to honestly need the federal, but; I dont like to feel that the ammo could be holding me back.

I have nothing against walmart. You do have to watch the quality of anything they sell. That is true where ever or what ever you buy. A little home work will pay off.

Last edited by fourbore; June 13, 2018 at 05:52 AM.
Old June 13, 2018, 05:45 AM   #7
Spats McGee
Staff

fourbore is right: "If it is the same box with same case and bullet weight it is the same ammo." Walmart is the 800-lb gorilla here, and in many areas of the state, there may only be 2-3 places to buy ammo, including the local Walmart. I've been buying ammo there for ~30 years, and haven't ever noticed any difference in quality between WM ammo and other stores' ammo.
Old June 13, 2018, 06:30 AM   #8
Mobuck

I seldom buy ammo OTC except to test some before purchasing in bulk from somewhere else. With all the liability issues, there's no way Walmart is going to sell sub-standard ammo. It's about the volume and even Cabelas/BPS/Sportsmans Warehouse can't match the volume buying power of Wallie.
Do I think it's possible Wallie sold some slightly "blem" long guns? Yes, that may(?) have happened. Can I prove it did? No I can't but I did inspect a few rifles that wouldn't have passed my quality control station. Not safety issues, but fit, finish, appearance dings indicating either a factory "blem" or some yahoo in the storage room playing ninja warrior with the new guns.
Old June 13, 2018, 06:45 AM   #9
kozak6

It's more about the dislike of Walmart rather than their ammo.

There's all kinds of things to take offense at. For example, on one trip, me and a buddy stopped in to get some 12 gauge slugs. The clueless clerk handed him a box of buckshot about 5 times before she got it right.

Another part is that some shooters really look down other shooters for relying on Walmart because they feel it represents a lack of preparedness.
Old June 13, 2018, 07:48 AM   #10
MTT TL

I don't shop in high crime areas like Walmart. I would consider doing the curbside pickup but ammo is not available for curbside pickup.
Old June 13, 2018, 08:07 AM   #11
riffraff

It's funny just remembered - last time I bought ammo at Walmart, I got something fairly modest like a box of 150 5.56, few boxes of .22 mini mags, and a 100 of 9mm.

Two clerks were at the counter, one a female of obviously an immigrant of some sort, other a male.

The female was going on about "wow what are you gonna shoot with all these bullets?" and I said something like "paper mostly" .. The guy told her never to ask those sorts of questions, said something about a policy.
Old June 13, 2018, 08:17 AM   #12
Rifletom

I've read or heard the 100 packs of shotgun shells[Fed & Win] were special runs for Wal-Mart only and loaded weak. I have never had an issue with the 100 pack Fed "Field & Target" shells in either 12 or 20ga. I am not a competitive shooter either, but, they certainly work for me. Now, those Win Universal shells, well, yuck. Wal-Mart isn't bad.
Shotgun shells and .22lr are all I buy; all others are handloaded.

Last edited by Rifletom; June 13, 2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old June 13, 2018, 09:40 AM   #13
ninosdemente

Very interested replies to say the least.

As mentioned, not being in the game long enough, don't know what is good ammo and what is not or to know at least what to stay away from. One thing is for sure though, I do stay away from steel ammo. I didn't realize that people don't have much liking to Winchester, just purchased because of the name. Does this apply to all calibers or certain ones? As I do buy .380 (sometimes) and 30-06 (hunting). Also have been told that Winchester is dirty. Do not know what that means. Hopefully someone may be kind enough to educate me, lol.

Don't get me wrong, I am willing to put the effort to research as someone above mentioned. With so much info it is difficult know what is reliable/true. Here at least I can try to obtain honest answers/opinions/experiences. Thought I do know that at the end they are just based on each and everyone's own personal thoughts.

Also, where does one usually get better deals online for .22lr, 9mm, .380 and .223? I eventually am planning on loading the last three on the list. Just trying to stack up on shells at the moment.
Old June 13, 2018, 10:51 AM   #14
brasscollector

I wouldn't buy any perfecta but if walbogs has name brand ammo on sale for less buy it.
Old June 13, 2018, 11:17 AM   #15
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninosdemente View Post
. . . .Also, where does one usually get better deals online for .22lr, 9mm, .380 and .223? I eventually am planning on loading the last three on the list. Just trying to stack up on shells at the moment.
There's a BUNCH of different places to shop. Ammoseek.com and Ammowiki (I think) can help you search for prices, but that won't tell you much about the company offering ammo for sale. As for me, I've only ordered ammo online a few times, but I was very happy with my transactions with both sgammo.com and Target Sports USA. I'm sure some other TFL members will be able to point you in the direction of some other good companies, but I haven't dealt with the others.
Old June 13, 2018, 11:45 AM   #16
FITASC

Another plus for TargetSportsUSA.com
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 13, 2018, 01:42 PM   #17
jonnyc

My first choice is always bulk on-line, especially when I find a "free shipping" deal.
And although I work in a gunshop, my second source is Walmart. They usually beat my employee discount!
Old June 13, 2018, 02:24 PM   #18
T. O'Heir

Wal-mart has it made and packaged for them. They have nothing to do with the manufacturing of it. It's no different than any low end brand. Made to SAAMI spec just like any ammo.
"...Wal-mart is the 800-lb. gorilla..." And that's being polite. Wally World buys in such enormous quantities they can set the price they pay and get it. They put Rubbermaid out of business doing that.
Old June 13, 2018, 02:32 PM   #19
rickyrick

There’s been times that Walmart is the only place I could buy ammunition. Someplaces you have a choice between Walmart and a local place that is sometimes double in price.
Old June 13, 2018, 02:36 PM   #20
GarandTd

My experience with SG Ammo was very positive for online ammo.

Dirty ammo just soils your firearm faster. It requires more frequent cleaning and causes reliability issues if you don't keep up with maintenance.

The last thing I would worry about is what other people think about where you buy your supplies. All that matter is that you get them and are satisfied with the quality and price.
Old June 13, 2018, 02:52 PM   #21
bn12gg

Walmart ammo is fine. -- so is Cabela's ammo. For years I've bought the least expensive gasoline and least expensive ammo. With few excepions it all burns just fine. Booooom ! No biggie !
.02. David.
Old June 13, 2018, 04:24 PM   #22
JWT

I don't believe I've eve bought ammo at Cabelas. I've never found their prices to be competitive to what I can pay at a number of other outlets.
Old June 13, 2018, 04:56 PM   #23
FITASC

I have purchased many flats of their Herter's shotgun ammo when it was:
A) on sale,
B) had a free shipping code,
C) I had points to use

I still do not have a cabela's in my state, but I DO have a BASS Pro, and as a result, now I get charged sales tax upfront. There are just too many better alternatives unless they are running a great sale.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 13, 2018, 05:53 PM   #24
rickyrick

I bought cabelas ammo when it was available no where else.
Old June 13, 2018, 06:08 PM   #25
Hal

Quote:
ow I have noticed the same brand is sold at both stores but Walmart is $5-$6 less.
Cabela's has 82 stores....Walmart has 11,718. Walmart has enormous buying power and is able to leverage volume discounts that smaller stores and chains just can't touch.