The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 2, 2016, 02:17 PM   #1
TreadProof

Looking for Training Scenarios & Drills

Hello all,
My name is Todd and I have been on the lookout for some new training drills and scenarios to perfect my home defense and concealed carry. I have trained exstensively at numerous local gun courses, along with Clint Smith at ThunderRanch, SigArms, Formerly Blackwater which became US Training Facility, and finally Academi. I am trying to put together a comprehensive beginner to expert tactics and fundamentals library. So far I have found a number of good drills and tutorials from Action Target, and Springfield Armory with "worlds collide". These Rob Pincus, and Latham videos cover a lot of basic technique and speed shooting. I would be greatly appreciative of any suggestions or links to some more knowledge. Also any proper rifle/carbine training videos would be an added bonus. THANKS!! if anyone would like some of the info i have compiled i would be happy to share!!

Thanks
Old December 2, 2016, 02:53 PM   #2
g.willikers

The USPSA classifier book is useful.
USPSA.org.
IDPA also has a section on their web site with courses of fire.
IDPA.com.
All the federal law enforcement groups have qualifying and training courses of fire.
FBI, US Marshals, 'etc.
A web search will easily find them.
There's tons more out there, but these should get you started.
Old December 2, 2016, 06:28 PM   #3
TreadProof

Thanks G Wilikers!! I appreciate the info and will certainly be on the lookout for some relevant information. I have got some videos from Mas Ayoob, along with Kelly McCann, and Gabe Suarez which are all quite good. While i certainly am part of the group that thinks no video or DVD will come close to training and practice in real life, i do understand the significant benefit that video training can do for a broad swath of beginners and experts. Thanks again for all and any info.

Kind Regards,
Todd
Old December 2, 2016, 06:54 PM   #4
FITASC

Quote:
to perfect my home defense
Guns are the last resort. Locks, dogs, lights, thorny bushes, pea gravel, and a myriad of other things come first.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 2, 2016, 08:14 PM   #5
Snyper

Quote:
Guns are the last resort. Locks, dogs, lights, thorny bushes, pea gravel, and a myriad of other things come first.
You can only talk about guns here though.
Old December 2, 2016, 11:50 PM   #6
pax

There's a great list of drills at www.handgunlaw.us

And of course lots and lots on Todd Green's old site, www.pistol-training.com

pax
Old December 3, 2016, 12:58 PM   #7
TreadProof

FITASC, while i very much understand your point. I'm not going to ask people on this forum to post training drills involving locking doors, and shutting windows. I understand very well, that you should have lighting in the fatal funnels of your house, possibly track lighting so that you don't illuminate to much but so that you can ID a target. Also setting up mirrors and other such objects at corners so you can see around the corner a bit easier, again for positive ID of suspect or friendly. And certainly dogs can be very effective. Thanks to everyone for the advice and info.

Last edited by TreadProof; December 4, 2016 at 01:02 PM.
Old January 3, 2017, 05:36 PM   #8
ShooterScott1

Here's a pretty site for shooting tips, it's by pro Keith Warren -

http://www.opticsplanet.com/howto/ho...ting-tips.html
Old January 5, 2017, 01:01 PM   #9
FireForged

If you are looking for self defense training.. seek out a reputable tactical school. Gun games are great if you enjoy competitive sports but its not really a good place to learn about armed fighting methodology, tactics or strategics.

Tags
drills , firearm training , gun training , tactics , training