The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 4, 2009, 07:10 PM   #1
scat

accurate no. 5, 1 lb.

Does anyone out there know of anyplace or anyone who has a pound of Accurate No. 5 on their shelf for sell? I'll pay shipping costs. Thanks, any input appreciated.
Old November 4, 2009, 07:50 PM   #2
sourdough44

You already tried Natchez,Midway, Powder Valley etc..?
Old November 4, 2009, 08:01 PM   #3
Christchild

I'm an individual, not a retailer, and also NOT established in HazMat Shipping, but I recently sold my Glock 21 and the bullets, and have about 3 1/4 lb's of AA #5.

Buying ONE pound of powder and paying shipping and HazMat is not very economical, by the way. You could pay upwards of $20-$30 for shipping with HazMat included. And with Smokeless Powder, You can ship a maximum of 48 lbs at a time, per HazMat shipping charge. If I'm not mistaken, it's 48 lbs.

However, FedEx will ship HazMat for an individual, but it's pretty expensive.

Last edited by Christchild; November 4, 2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old November 4, 2009, 08:18 PM   #4
scat

Yes Sir Sourdough, I've tried every outlet I could find and even contacted accurate arms. AA told me that there has been a huge run on their product and hope to have product back in the system in 4 to 6 weeks. Thanks Christchild for your input. If you are looking to sell you may contact me on the side, (I guess that's legal on a forum, I really don't know how to go about it.) Come up with an amount that you require for all you have and I'll give you a ups or fedex account number to ship it on collect to me. That kind of quantity would last me a while since I only have 45 Long Colt and 45ACP to reload for targeting around the house. I don't load for resell, just for my own entertainment. I've tried to change my private message receiving setting, maybe I can receive them now if I changed it correctly.

Last edited by scat; November 4, 2009 at 08:40 PM. Reason: ignorance of how the system works
Old November 4, 2009, 08:54 PM   #5
jepp2

Currently listed on GunBroker

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=145627006
Old November 4, 2009, 09:53 PM   #6
scat

gunbroker

Thanks jepp2............I missed that one...........I'll be placing a bid on it in the morning....................thanks.........scat
Old November 5, 2009, 12:11 AM   #7
Powderman

Are you familiar with the requirements to ship powder?

I do not believe that a private individual will be able to ship powder. Loaded small arms ammunition, yes...powder? I don't think so. Might want to check with US DOT, FedEx and/or UPS before you do this.
Old November 5, 2009, 12:41 AM   #8
Christchild

PowderMan...check this out....

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=379364
Old November 5, 2009, 07:05 AM   #9
sourdough44

Here's another idea. Why is number 5 so special? I know it was supposidly developed with the 45 acp in mind. The way things have been lately(getting better fast) I've just looked around to try another powder that also had a good track record. There are plenty of other choices available for handgun powders. I recently bought some Titegroup, H Universal, & win 231 off the shelf.
Old November 5, 2009, 10:54 AM   #10
freakshow10mm

To ship hazardous materials, you need to be a haz mat certified shipper and have a haz mat contract on file with the shipping provider. A private party may do this but they will still need to be a HM certified shipper and contract with the shipper. You just can't walk up to the UPS Store, pay $22.50 and walk out.

#5 is a great powder and is getting the respect it deserves. It can be used in 9mm, 40, 10mm, 45, and a few others. Here we use a similar type but it's blended a bit different and you can't buy the specific blend I buy without being an OEM manufacturer and we buy by the drum.

A lot of the sleeper powders have been getting hard like TAC, #5, WSF, Longshot.
Old November 5, 2009, 09:31 PM   #11
scat

Regulations and powders

All good ideas powderman, sourdough44 and freakshow10mm. I'll check them out. I have a 45 colt revolver I want to load 230 XTP, and my 1911 45ACP I want to load 200XTP. Lee's Modern Reloading Guide 2nd Edition has AA No.5 first line on both of these loads. That's my main reason for the AA5 hangup. Plus I've heard several good things about it. So I thought I'd get one powder to handle both the pieces I own. I certainly appreciate your input and you are correct, I hadn't thought about shipping hazmat. The company I work with deals with fedex and ups extensively so I can get info easily from my representatives. Thanks for the heads up. I'll be checking out your website freakshow10mm, I apologize, I didn't know it was out there.............Thanks......Scat
P.S. Can I buy 500 or 1000 lot silvertip hollowpoints similar to the winchester from any of your distributors and do you have any distributors in the Dothan Alabama area. 185gr 45ACP, 200gr. 45ACP., 225gr. 45 LC? Please forgive me for the change of subject in this thread.

Last edited by scat; November 5, 2009 at 10:31 PM. Reason: visited website