The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 9, 2018, 09:02 PM   #1
ninosdemente

Hornady Lock n Load Die Bushing

So I was on YouTube looking at reloading videos, specifically for 30-06. After many videos one was listed so out of curiosity I looked at the video. I have heard it mentioned many months back from a re loader I spoke at a Cabela's.

Do people use these at all/a lot? For a specific caliber? I can only imagine getting quite a few of them would eventually add up. This interested me... but I still have quite a bit to learn/set up, etc. before I would even consider getting one of these just yet. Would suck to have a die set up improperly and go through a batch.

To me it makes sense of not having to set up any more all the time for those who reload multiple calibers, but not considering what can go wrong from lack of knowledge. Are there any drawbacks to these?
Old July 9, 2018, 10:08 PM   #2
reddog81

What kind of press do you have? I started on a RCBS single stage and converted it to the Hornady Bushing system once I got a Hornady LNL.

I have a full set of bushings for every caliber I load on the LnL. .38, .45, 10mm, 45 Colt .30-06, and just added .32 ACP. The costs start to add up but you can get the 3 pack conversion kit for $10 sometimes.

Anytime a die is setup incorrectly with or without a bushing is going to cause problems.
Old July 9, 2018, 11:03 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

I ran my Rock Chucker in the standard fashion for many years.
A few years ago, I converted to the LNL bushings (and adapter).
That lasted for about a month, before I swapped for another LNL adapter. And then another one. And then a couple more months passed before I put the original (threaded) adapter back in the press and started removing the bushings from my dies.

My ammunition was suffering. It was causing headaches. I was not a fan.
They creep. They move. They are not as 'square' and true as one might expect.
The added height meant that I couldn't use certain, short dies in the press. And more...

Add in the fact that my brother, with a Hornady LNL press, suffered a couple breakages of the adapter and bushings, and I was just DONE.

I have a whole pile of bushings (and half a dozen adapters) sitting in a filing cabinet now. Once I make sure I have removed every last bushing from my dies, they'll be sold in one shot.

On a positive note: If you do want to try the LNL system, the "conversion" kits are usually cheaper than bushing packs or individual bushings. You end up with an extra adapter for every three bushings, but it's cheaper than buying the three-packs (or even the ten-packs!) on their own.
Old July 9, 2018, 11:19 PM   #4
ninosdemente

I have a Rock Chucker Supreme 1 stage.

The person in the video seem to struggle a bit at first but then was able to fix it quickly. When he set the die on top of the bushing it didn't come out as one at first... so he loosened the RCBS die to loosen the bushin and then he reset the RCBS die then was able to remove the bushin altogether.
Old July 9, 2018, 11:25 PM   #5
ninosdemente

After a quick search, I did see the 3 ($12)and 10 pack ($42).

Thanks for the help.

This is the conversion kit?
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Horn...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old July 9, 2018, 11:33 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

I believe that is. But, it's tough to say since they don't list the manufacturer's part number.
And, holy crap!
Cabela's is charging $5-8 more than anywhere else that I've looked. Shop around. You'll find it cheaper.

(When I bought mine, regular prices were: $9 for the 'conversion kit', $13 for a 3-pack, and $40 for the 10-pack. Single bushings were crazy - something like $7 each.)
Old July 9, 2018, 11:35 PM   #7
Metal god

Yes what type of press are you planning on using . The quick change ability of the Hornady bushing system is really only second to Dillon and Lee using full tool heads that all your dies stay in and you interchange the whole tool head instead of the individual dies .

I don't think I've readjusted my dies in the bushing since originally setting them up and a few minor adjustments shortly after . As reddog points out a badly adjusted die does not care if it's in a bushing or not . If the question is if the bushing system ever fails in some way ? Short answer is yes but only in so much as they can work loose sometimes . That said the only one that ever comes loose on me is the universal decapping die . I have to assume that's because I'll run hundreds of cases through it at once . When I say hundreds I mean 700 to 1k in a run and it might come loose in that run once . It's done that once or twice so now every couple hundred I'll just check it real quick . None of the other dies have ever come loose in the 1 or 2 hundred I do at a time . Now I load on a single stage so every time I start it's with a newly inserted and tight die .

Although you don't need a bushing for every die . You pretty much defeat the purpose of the bushing system if you don't have a bushing for every die you're going to load on the press . This way you never need to adjust them once they are set .

Technically you could use the same 3 or 4 bushing one for each , FL die , powder die , seater die & crimp die . Then change out the dies as you change cartridges because once the die has been set correctly the first time you still tighten the lock ring in place .This allows you to return the die to the original position if removed . I chose to get bushing for all my dies used in that press .

FWIW here is the system

The Press

The die in the bushing

Line up the slots

Drop the die into the press

Give it an 1/8 turn or so and it's set . I like to draw a line from die down and through everything to the press . This allows a visual of everything in alignment as well as allowing me to see if the bushing is backing out

EDIT : wow you guys had a whole conversation while I was writing haha

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; July 9, 2018 at 11:41 PM.
Old July 10, 2018, 12:21 AM   #8
markr6754

I’ve only had the Hornady L-N-L Classic press. Started reloading in January. The kit came with 3 bushings, though I wish it had 4 as my first die set was a Lee 4 Die Carbide 9mm set. So I had to change out a bushing from time to time until I found a nice deal on a 10 Pack. I paid $35 at the time...and now wish I’d bought 2 or 3 sets as I can’t find that deal again.
I now have Hornady dies in 45ACP, 380ACP, and 38SPC/357Mag, and just recently scored a Redding 40S&W Die set. Obviously, I need more bushings. I haven’t encountered any issues with drifting or breaking, but then, I’ve only run about 3000 rounds through - mostly decapping, resizing, and priming. Not nearly as many finished rounds. So far, the only issue I’ve had is with the Hornady Powder drop. Due to my process I’m continually loosening the drop on the stand...and haven’t come up with any trick to tighten it up. But my dies in the press are solid. I wouldn’t be surprised to find that I’m not tightening the Die down onto the bushing...But my finished loads, once my dies are set, come to the exact COL, and that’s good enough for me.

Finally...I have a Sharpie...I’m stealing Metal God’s press/bushing alignment checker.
Old July 10, 2018, 05:21 AM   #9
Bfglowkey

Reloading presses have their love hates like the guns we load for. I purchased the Hornady LnL setup with the digital scale single stage and load for 307, 6.5, 223, 6mm and on occasion my buddies 7mm08. The bushing system works great as long as you take the time to set it up for each caliber. Then again we set up a friends RCBS rockchucker and it was the same way. Lee...you got it...took a few to get it set up properly. I imagine Dillon is the same. I like the full plate swap idea on the Lee we did...but for now the Hornady serves it's purpose u til I move back into a place with a dedicated workshop and I can make the altar to reloading/rifles a reality.
Old July 10, 2018, 09:50 AM   #10
Charlie98

I have a Hornady LNL Classic singe-stage press. I'll admit, it's handy to have my resizing dies already set in a LNL bushing, it's true, but I don't care for the system, or the press for that matter. I think my 30+ yr old RCBS RS3 press has tighter tolerances than the sloppy linkage on the Hornady, and I've found the rubber O-rings on the LNL bushings will compress over time so if you get a sticky case in the size die, it will 'pop' on the ram downstroke... ejecting the primer ram (which you have to have to funnel the spent primer into the tray.) It's just not my favorite setup. The only reason I'm using it is because I need the additional leverage the bigger press gives me for resizing rifle cases. I have toyed with the idea of selling it off and picking up a Rock Chucker or other non-LNL press.

Compare it to the Hornady ProJector (pre LNL) progressive, which is as solid a press as you can get. At the end of the day, all the LNL bushings do is save you about 20 seconds spinning in a die and giving it a little snuggy with a wrench. I believe it is a solution to a non-problem.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old July 10, 2018, 12:39 PM   #11
ninosdemente

Thanks guys for the help and for the pictures Metal god. This is something that does interest me. At the moment I am starting with 30-06 and its not a lot (15-20 rounds) but would want it when I start doing .380 and 9mm. Those do plan on doing bigger batches for me.
Old July 11, 2018, 03:03 PM   #12
gwpercle

The bushings are just another gadget they can sell you. In stead of screwing the die into the press , you screw it into the bushing and the bushing has a quick connect feature.
Now you have to buy a bushing for every die you own.....Guess who is making money.

I'm old school , I enjoy screwing ....Bushing, what bushing ....I don't need no stinking bushings
Old July 11, 2018, 04:37 PM   #13
markr6754

Quote:
The bushings are just another gadget they can sell you.
I like gadgets, and I like Hornady. I'm so glad that I can buy Hornady stuff. I only wish they also gave "free bullets" with a 10-pack bushing order.
Old July 11, 2018, 05:31 PM   #14
Nathan

Quote:
I ran my Rock Chucker in the standard fashion for many years.
A few years ago, I converted to the LNL bushings (and adapter).
That lasted for about a month, before I swapped for another LNL adapter. And then another one. And then a couple more months passed before I put the original (threaded) adapter back in the press and started removing the bushings from my dies.

My ammunition was suffering. It was causing headaches. I was not a fan.
They creep. They move. They are not as 'square' and true as one might expect.
The added height meant that I couldn't use certain, short dies in the press. And more...

Add in the fact that my brother, with a Hornady LNL press, suffered a couple breakages of the adapter and bushings, and I was just DONE.

I have a whole pile of bushings (and half a dozen adapters) sitting in a filing cabinet now. Once I make sure I have removed every last bushing from my dies, they'll be sold in one shot.

On a positive note: If you do want to try the LNL system, the "conversion" kits are usually cheaper than bushing packs or individual bushings. You end up with an extra adapter for every three bushings, but it's cheaper than buying the three-packs (or even the ten-packs!) on their own.
First, let me say I respect your comments, but can you prove it? I have made some ammo with amazingly low runout with this system. I have seen bullet runout under 0.002”, if I remember right. It has been a while.

I have had cases with runout that is nearly the same as fired cases, which is like 0.001”!

In all seriousness, my only complaints are they are kind of expensive and nobody makes a die box that works well with bushings on it. Even the Hornady is marginal.

If you want to sell your bushings or converted single stage rubs press, please PM me a price.
Old July 11, 2018, 08:10 PM   #15
Carriertxv

I use Hornady bushings for all my handgun loads and have not had any issues with them in last 4 years. Have a LNL AP and converted my Rockchucker and have not seen any difference between using them or screwing dies in except it’s so much easier.
I have checked my reloads between using the bushings and not on the Rockchucker and found zero difference. Either I’m really lucky or don’t know what I’m doing I guess.
Old July 12, 2018, 08:34 AM   #16
Charlie98

Quote:
except it’s so much easier.
I must be missing something. The LNL bushing saves you about 15 seconds per die, and you still have to adjust the die if your settings need to change. I've found the LNL system to be a bit of a PITA when it comes to die adjustments because you have to deal with the bushing camming in and out when you are trying to reset the die.

Old July 12, 2018, 11:28 AM   #17
Metal god

Quote:
I must be missing something. The LNL bushing saves you about 15 seconds per die, and you still have to adjust the die if your settings need to change. I've found the LNL system to be a bit of a PITA when it comes to die adjustments because you have to deal with the bushing coming in and out when you are trying to reset the die.
I use Redding competition shell holders and make my adjustments with those . I've not needed to adjust my dies in years and I load for multiple rifles in the same caliber/cartridge . All my 308's have a different "case headspace" when bumping the shoulders .002 and I've not adjusted my dies once in the bushings . Yes before you say it , that is another gadget I'm using

Also it's not 15 sec it's 30sec because you need to take the one out as well . 30sec does not "sound" like a long time but just sit there for 30sec doing nothing and see how long it actually feels like .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old July 12, 2018, 02:07 PM   #18
FrankenMauser

Quote:
First, let me say I respect your comments, but can you prove it? I have made some ammo with amazingly low runout with this system. I have seen bullet runout under 0.002”, if I remember right. It has been a while.
That's good, and I'm glad you're satisfied.

But, I don't need to prove anything.
I wasn't trying to sell anything, nor tell anyone to avoid the product. (That should be at least somewhat evident based on suggesting which way to buy the bushings, in order to get the best deal.)
All I was doing was sharing my opinion of the product(s), based on my own experience.

Even so, one of the things that irritated me the most about the system has been backed up by multiple other members as a common issue: That the bushings like to walk.

That leads to varied sizing lengths, varied amounts of crimp, and varied seating depth.
Sure, you can mark the bushing and adapter to allow for a regular visual check. But I don't want yet another step in the reloading process. I want to be able to adjust the die, set it, and only check it if I feel that something has gone 'wrong'.

And, yes, the variation is only as much as 0.005" to 0.008", depending upon the individual bushing and adapter/press combination that are being measured**. That's generally not a big deal for something like bullet seating, and usually not a big problem for crimping. But it can be a big deal for sizing, primer pocket swaging, and some other tasks where uniformity (and proper fit) are important, or even critical.
**(I just remeasured two bushing/adapter combinations, to make sure I had the numbers right, and had one combination and clocking example where the variation could potentially hit 0.011" while still 'locked'. I consider it an outlier, even while arguing that the variation is bad; but thought it was worth mentioning.)

Again, I'm not trying to convince or dissuade anyone about whether or not it will work for them. It simply didn't work for me.
If I'm going to sit down and load .270 Win, .30-06, 6x45mm, etc., then I want the ammunition to be the best that it can be with the tools I have available. For me, the LNL bushings were not as good as 'wasting my life 15 seconds at a time' and screwing the dies in the old fashioned way.
Old July 12, 2018, 02:49 PM   #19
Real Gun

Quote:
one of the things that irritated me the most about the system has been backed up by multiple other members as a common issue: That the bushings like to walk.
Hornady offers shim rings to use, if you have an adapter that doesn't stay snug. I use one on my powder measure. With my LnL AP there is no option to using the bushings that I know of. I use a conversion adapter on my Lee Breech Lock single stage to allow me to use HornadY LnL adapters on the dies.
Old July 12, 2018, 04:19 PM   #20
Carriertxv

Well I have dies set up with Hornady bushings for all the calibers I load. A seperate seating die for each caliber and each bullet plus a FCD.
Old July 12, 2018, 08:47 PM   #21
Charlie98

Quote:
That the bushings like to walk.
I wonder if that's from O-ring compression. I have some that do that... I just assumed it was the material the bushing is made of wearing a bit, but after my last episode of die popping, I think it's a worn or compressed O-ring.

Old July 12, 2018, 08:48 PM   #22
Charlie98

Hmmm... I wonder if Hornady makes a conversion kit... to convert an LNL press away from the LNL?

Old July 12, 2018, 09:37 PM   #23
BBarn

Die lock ring adjustment can be difficult on progressive presses with tightly clustered dies. That's where I consider the bushings advantageous. I have no use for them on a single stage press, or when loading rifle ammo for hunting or precision target shooting.
Old July 13, 2018, 09:48 AM   #24
Real Gun

Quote:
Die lock ring adjustment can be difficult on progressive presses with tightly clustered dies. That's where I consider the bushings advantageous. I have no use for them on a single stage press, or when loading rifle ammo for hunting or precision target shooting.
I could agree, except when dies frequently come loose before the adapter lets go, making it very much like a press with no adapters. Channel locks to grab the base of the adapter would seem like standard equipment with an LnL AP like mine. That sometimes requires removing other dies to get to the one you want to adjust.