The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 12, 2006, 07:06 PM   #1
sparkysteve

Slug Barrel: Ported or Not

I've always deer hunted in the Northern Michigan "rifle zone", but will also be hunting on a local friend's farm this fall. This is in the southern shotgun/muzzleloader zone. I'm considering buying a slug barrel for my my Browning BPS 12 ga. 3". I'd like a cantilever scope mount rifled slug barrel. Would getting a ported slug barrel be worth it? I'd like to save my shoulder but don't want the sound to be deafening. Or would I be better off with a recoil pad? They are hard to find for the BPS. I only miss my 870 when it comes to parts and accesories. Any input would be great.

Dont tread on me.
Old July 12, 2006, 08:02 PM   #2
skeeter1

Just IMHO, get the recoil pad and forget about a ported barrel. One might work on a big-arsed handgun, but I don't think it's going to make diddly-difference on a shotgun.
Old July 12, 2006, 08:07 PM   #3
Ruger4570

This has been discussed forever in here. Most agree porting is a waste of money in a shotgun as there isn't enough pressure to counteract the recoil or muzzle flip more than an insignificient amount. If you care to do a little searching in here you will find pages of pro and con... mostly con
Old July 12, 2006, 09:30 PM   #4
BUCKMARK

The ONLY reason I shoot ported barrels on my clay guns is because they came that way from the factory. For the noise they make compared to the recoil they reduce...I would NOT pay money for porting.

Let's Roll!
Old July 12, 2006, 11:10 PM   #5
hoghunting

Get a good recoil pad and forget the porting. Take the pad off your BPS and measure the end of the stock. Check www.limbsaver.com to see if they have a fitted pad for your stock. If they don't, you can check the sizes of their pads to see which one comes closest to the size you need.
Old July 12, 2006, 11:11 PM   #6
Eghad

recoil pad.......or a recoil reducer in the stock.

NRA Life Member
Old July 14, 2006, 07:25 PM   #7
lefteye

slug barrel

I've hunted deer in Iowa with slugs for 30+ years. I first used a Rem 870 with smooth bore slug barrel & rifle sights; then used an external scope mount & bloodied my eye; then had the receiver drilled & tapped by a gunsmith & used a Weaver base for a scope. I got a Rem 870 Special Purpose with rifled barrel & cantilever scope mount when it was introduced; mounted a Leupold Shotgun 1 X 4 variable scope on it. Friends use a very similar setup or a Rem 11-87 with similar setup. We have been very successful with sabot slugs. You may pleasantly surprised by the accuracy of Rem 2 3/4" Copper Solids & Core Lokt Ultra sabot slugs. You may be unpleasantly surprised by the recoil of 3" versions of the same slugs, particularly in a pump gun. My buddies with 11-87s won't use 3" sabot slugs. I recommend no porting; testing several loads to find the best for your barrel; and a good recoil pad. The recoil pad is almost irrelevant while hunting, but can be important shooting at paper from a bench. Good luck.