The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 22, 2019, 12:39 AM   #51
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
If I were interested in a Heritage, I'd choose this Ruger over the Heritage in a heartbeat. But, if I've got the cash to be looking for a Single Six, I'm buying a Single Six.

Which is probably exactly what Ruger is hoping.
My thoughts exactly. There might be a few people willing to buy the Wrangler when they really wanted a Single Six and could have bought one if they really wanted to, but the two guns are in very different categories. People who want a Single Six and had a real chance of buying one are going to get a Single Six.
Old April 22, 2019, 04:47 AM   #52
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
The revolver is banned in MA and MN. I'm guessing from low melting point laws. Probably not Zamak but something similar at ~ 1,000 degrees
Oh well. I guess I'll have to be satisfied with my Single Sixes.

Old April 22, 2019, 11:02 AM   #53
ThomasT

I spent a little time last night on gunbroker looking at single six revolvers just to see what they are selling for. And yes brand new in the box they are selling for $500+ dollars. But there were many used ones for way less than that.

There were many very clean guns that looked almost unfired for $400 or a little less. Many between $300-and $350. And even a few for less than $300 and a couple around $250. And I only looked at around 9 pages of the over 30 pages of them for sale.

Anyone who can't find a deal on a blued steel single six for a price they can live with isn't trying. And thats a gun with adjustable sights and both cylinders. It was surprising how many old models and even a few flat latches were listed.

Go to a gun show and you may find the same or better deals and not have to pay for shipping and transfer fees. The guys at the GS are some of the same ones with guns listed on GB.

Buy one of the original Ruger single sixes and you don't have to worry about what the new Ruger is made of and its its any better than the heritage RR. You will have the best gun and one that will last a life time if cared for.
Old April 22, 2019, 12:42 PM   #54
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratshooter View Post
I spent a little time last night on gunbroker looking at single six revolvers just to see what they are selling for. And yes brand new in the box they are selling for $500+ dollars. But there were many used ones for way less than that.

There were many very clean guns that looked almost unfired for $400 or a little less. Many between $300-and $350. And even a few for less than $300 and a couple around $250. And I only looked at around 9 pages of the over 30 pages of them for sale.

Anyone who can't find a deal on a blued steel single six for a price they can live with isn't trying. And thats a gun with adjustable sights and both cylinders. It was surprising how many old models and even a few flat latches were listed.

Go to a gun show and you may find the same or better deals and not have to pay for shipping and transfer fees. The guys at the GS are some of the same ones with guns listed on GB.

Buy one of the original Ruger single sixes and you don't have to worry about what the new Ruger is made of and its its any better than the heritage RR. You will have the best gun and one that will last a life time if cared for.
What you saw were current bids, not final selling price and you're not factoring in shipping, which is anywhere from $20-$40. No Single Six is selling for under $300 used, they're generally around $350+ once all is said and done.

And who knows how old they are and heavily used. Plus, those are all the six round models, the 9 or 10 rd ones are $500 easy.
Old April 22, 2019, 12:45 PM   #55
Lohman446

I like this. I'm not paying Single Six money for a .22 revolver. I don't need the finish of it to beat around the farm with. But this Wrangler. There is a good chance my children learn revolvers on it.
Old April 22, 2019, 03:30 PM   #56
ThomasT

Quote:
What you saw were current bids, not final selling price and you're not factoring in shipping, which is anywhere from $20-$40. No Single Six is selling for under $300 used, they're generally around $350+ once all is said and done.

And who knows how old they are and heavily used. Plus, those are all the six round models, the 9 or 10 rd ones are $500 easy.
I am very well aware of how GB works and the extra cost when you buy something. I buy and sell on there myself and have for years. And so far every gun I have bought has been in better condition than described. I have never had a bad purchase or a sell where someone was unhappy with what I sold them. You can check my feedback. I go by "ratshooter" on there also.

And you can go to the "Advanced" search and see what the final price on the guns were. Just in case you didn't know that.

And the point was you can buy a decent used single six and not pay $500+ dollars to get one and not be stuck buying the El Cheapo Heritage junk. And now those on a budget can buy the much better but still basic Ruger built gun and bypass the Heritage made offerings.

And I don't like the 8-10 shot guns because the ratchet is more prone to wear. Look at how robust the ratchet is on the Ruger 6 shot guns.
Old April 22, 2019, 05:04 PM   #57
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood Johnson View Post

Perish the thought. Zamak is a trade name for a family of zinc based alloys. Another name for zinc alloys is Cheap Pot Metal. Perish the thought that Ruger would stoop to using zinc alloys.

Frankly guys, I think the cost cutting in the new Wrangler will come from the fact that the frame is aluminum, saving cost over a steel frame, and the Cerakote finish is much cheaper than putting a high polish on steel and then bluing it, or simply putting a high polish on Stainless Steel.

Because of it's low melting point, Zamak also casts very smooth with few to no blemishes. Odds are there is not a lot of need to prep/polish the frame before Cerakoting it. Another cost saver. I saw I don't see this as an investment firearm for heavy use, but a cheap way to make some noise. A good way to add some clutter to the glove box or center console without breaking the bank. Doubt in your wildest dreams it's ever gonna come close to a SS....but it should come close to the Heritages. Accuracy comes down to the barrel and trigger. I'd guess it's got the former, but probably not the latter. Will be interesting to see how the finish and the frames hold up. Would be a great way to introduce someone to revolver shooting, whether it be a youth or adult.
Old April 22, 2019, 05:24 PM   #58
ThomasT

This is from a post by Articap over on the High Road forum. The grip is zemak.

Quote:
Hawkeye posted on the Ruger Forum:

Just received this email in response to my inquiry . . .

"Thank you for contacting Ruger Customer Service."

"The grip frame is Zinc. The cylinder frame is Alloy Aluminum."

"Ruger Customer Service"

Also, Ruger had initially registered the name "Single-Six Wrangler" as a trademark:--->>> https://trademarks.justia.com/876/60...-87660703.html

Last edited by ThomasT; April 22, 2019 at 05:32 PM.
Old April 22, 2019, 06:58 PM   #59
Driftwood Johnson

Yes, I saw somewhere that the grip frame is a zinc casting.

Oh, the humanity!
Old April 22, 2019, 07:42 PM   #60
GarandTd

Meh...I considered a used stainless single six at the LGS last year. It was priced at $350 which seemed like a decent price. I have a Heritage Rough Rider. It works and shoots to POA. I didn't see the point in adding the Ruger. Now, Ruger is making a Heritage and I'm supposed to get all googly eyed over it because it says Ruger on the side? Nope.
Old April 22, 2019, 08:09 PM   #61
rclark

You know ... does it really matter if some like it, and some don't? I am glad we have 'choices'!!! If it keeps Ruger a float, I am all for it. Doesn't mean you or me have to buy it. But I bet a lot of people will on price alone. And we need more Single Action shooters. Once hooked, it certainly won't be the last SA! Now how do I know that? . Ha!
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old April 23, 2019, 09:38 AM   #62
ThomasT

I watched this video last night on the heritage RR revolver. Hickok made the gun look pretty good in this video. Except for the sights hitting left and low the gun did pretty good. Did it make me want one? Well, not yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sruOplt19hw

Then I watched this on an older 3 screw single six. What nice guns they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpNIY4WT6lg
Old May 3, 2019, 06:49 PM   #63
rallyhound

No it's not banned in Mnnesota due too a low melting point.
I just bought one last weekend at Reeds gun fair from the Ruger rep for $170.00 OTD

Free" men do not ask permission to bear arms.
Old May 3, 2019, 06:58 PM   #64
rallyhound

Mine shoots dead on with the sights at 50 yards.
ringing a 8 inch steel plate every shot.

painted finish is well done. It has the cheapest plastic grips I've ever seen but they feel good in the hand with enough roughness to be useful.

The free spin cylinder is a definate improvement over my single six.

The wrangler seems to be more accurate than my single six but I haven't shot them side by side yet

Free" men do not ask permission to bear arms.
Old May 3, 2019, 08:01 PM   #65
wild cat mccane

You asked what we thought, I responded that Heritage offers 22mag, 9 round cylinders, barrels in 3, 4, 6, 9, and 16 inch lengths at half price and say "calm down."

?
Old May 4, 2019, 12:47 AM   #66
DashingDan

Good thing single six grips will work.
Old May 4, 2019, 06:07 AM   #67
Oldman11

This is the beginning of the end for Ruger.
Old May 4, 2019, 07:06 AM   #68
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarandTd View Post
Meh...I considered a used stainless single six at the LGS last year. It was priced at $350 which seemed like a decent price. I have a Heritage Rough Rider. It works and shoots to POA. I didn't see the point in adding the Ruger. Now, Ruger is making a Heritage and I'm supposed to get all googly eyed over it because it says Ruger on the side? Nope.
That's what's happened here, people have gone coo coo for a .22 Ruger revolver that costs $200 or less. Now, I do notice that the cheaper the Ruger is, the better it is. LCP's, LC9s, LCR's have all been fantastic guns for the self defense role they serve, the 10/22 is the best sub $300 .22 rifle available, the American rifles are the cheapest bolt action Ruger makes and they're worth every penny.

The Wrangler is different tho. It's not meant for self defense like the LC series are, it's not meant for hunting like the American rifles are, it's meant for plinking and in that regards I feel the Heritage is better. Better sights are available, 9 round cylinders are an option, 6 and 9 inch barrels are available, and .22 Mag cylinders come with many of them so if there ever was a defensive situation, the .22 Mag is very capable in a long barrel revolver.

The Wrangler... it's as basic and plain as it gets and IMO, it doesn't look that great. The Cerakote finish with the burnt bronze and silver color make the Wranglers look like the entire gun is plastic.

I still like to see competition, the Wrangler will make Heritage have to work harder to earn their keep.
Old May 4, 2019, 07:39 AM   #69
Siggy-06

So Ruger isn’t making these, it just states “Made in the USA to Ruger standards”. Pass...
Old May 4, 2019, 08:21 AM   #70
Nathan

Quote:
Nope. They have always had some bargain options along with standard ...as well as a select few higher grade.
Old May 4, 2019, 09:16 AM   #71
punkinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman11 View Post
Offering a low cost, entry level plinker with quality construction and a lifetime warranty is going to be their downfall? Really?

If I had a son or grandson that was of age for their first pistol I'd buy them one of these in a heartbeat. I assume they'll accumulate nicer firearms over the years, but this strikes me as a perfect plinker. In fact, I plan to buy one just to have around for introducing children and newbies to shooting.
Old May 4, 2019, 05:11 PM   #72
dgludwig

Quote:
Offering a low cost, entry level plinker with quality construction and a lifetime warranty is going to be their downfall?
Ruger may have a customer service history as good as or better than any other gun maker, but they have no written warranty, lifetime or otherwise.
Old May 4, 2019, 05:14 PM   #73
afcolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Nope. They have always had some bargain options along with standard ...as well as a select few higher grade.

Yeah, they mix it up well. Nothing wrong with this at all. You can spend $200 or $1K+ with Ruger...something for (nearly) all budgets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 4, 2019, 05:23 PM   #74
dgludwig

Quote:
There might be a few people willing to buy the Wrangler when they really wanted a Single Six and could have bought one if they really wanted to, but the two guns are in very different categories. People who want a Single Six and had a real chance of buying one are going to get a Single Six.
Or there may be some people like me who already have a Single Six/Super Single Six (I've had a Super Single Six since the early seventies) and want to add a cheaper version of the Ruger sa revolver for a different purpose ("very different categories")-in my case, I'm looking for a serviceable but cheap, .22 handgun to keep in a vehicle. Having one of each is a good plan for me.
Old May 4, 2019, 07:56 PM   #75
rclark

Quote:
It's as basic and plain as it gets and IMO, it doesn't look that great.
But I tell ya what. The RR doesn't look that great either with that safety sticking out the side. Just a real eye-sore (to me). The coating on the Wrangler doesn't look as good as real blued ... But better than the RR with that safety. Plus the Ruger should be way more reliable. My RR had to have the pawl spring replaced once already for example... If I was looking for a plinker and If the Ruger Wrangler was offered in 5 1/2" barrel length, I'd buy the Ruger over the Heritage in a heartbeat. The zinc grip frame doesn't bother me as it should be plenty strong for '.22' recoil . Now if you plan on using it as a hammer or a pry bar, well, steel probably would be better. Grip panels can always be replaced too.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.