The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 26, 2022, 02:06 PM   #1
Classic12

S&W 617

So I’ve had a 6" S&W 17-6 for some years now, and have been lusting for the stainless version. I saw several for sale in the last 12 months, all 6" but felt they were priced too high.

Then a week ago I saw an ad from a private seller for a 4", first time I ever saw one for sale. Similar high price but for the rarer 4" version. Met the seller, haggled a bit and came home with it after forking out $ 950.-

Packed Septembre 14, 1990

Grips dated September 8, 1990

Old December 26, 2022, 02:08 PM   #2
Classic12

Quick range trip 25 m indoor

The pair

Old December 27, 2022, 09:29 AM   #3
BeornLS

Beautiful 617!
Old December 30, 2022, 01:35 PM   #4
CommandoX

I have one in 6". I love that thing.

Enjoy the two!
Old December 30, 2022, 01:37 PM   #5
AzShooter

I've got the 6 and 4 inch 617. The 6 inch gets used more often but I'm starting to like the 4 for speed shooting steel plates.
Old December 31, 2022, 09:03 PM   #6
41 Magnum

I saw the 617 4" 10 shot before production at the shot show. I called S&W immediately when I got home, & let them know I'd be the first in line to buy one as soon as they were shipped to my dealer here in central Pa.
A little while later I got a call from a lady at S&W telling me that they were on the way to my location. I was at the shop when he opened the shipment !! A decision I have never regretted !! I fitted a pair of the older S&W target grips to it, & put the rubber ones in storage right away ! The 617-10 is a round butt, & my grips were for a square butt, so I had to make a fitted filler for the back strap cutout. Also, being the first run, "no lock".
I would not trade it or sell it ever !!! I really do love that revolver, and carry it more often than any other pistol I own, mostly loaded with Winchester Silvertips nearly all the time now. perfect for all around fun shooting !!
Old January 1, 2023, 09:19 AM   #7
smee78

Nice addition to the collection, I do enjoy a 4-inch barrel over a 6-inch and the stainless makes it a pretty-looking gun.

I have a pre-17 for my 6-inch needs and found a model 18 for my 4-inch barrel length.
Old January 3, 2023, 07:47 AM   #8
41 Magnum

It's been a while since I've had time to be on the many old sites I used to join in most every day. When I was active, there were a few sites that allowed me to store & post my photo's. I no longer have a host site for uploading photos. How do you post photos on the websites now ??

Jim