The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 28, 2020, 03:33 PM   #1
Swifty Morgan

NC Star/Vism Sight Pusher Problems

I got myself an NC Star F&R Vism sight pusher. It has three brand names.

I would like to know if anyone else has had the problems I had.

My pusher came with zero lubricant. None. It was very difficult to turn any of the screws, and two of them bound up to the point where I considered using pliers.

I finally realized it needed lube, so I got out some grease and 3-in-One, and after a while, I got it moving.

There are two knurled screws that run into tight steel holes. Before I greased them, they kept locking up tight. I'm planning to take the block with the holes and open it up on the mill.

The upper blocks ride against the aluminum frame, and they have steel ball bearings to make them move. It's amazing to see that anyone would use steel ball bearings against aluminum. I think I'll eventually have to take it apart, clean the upset aluminum out of the grooves the bearings have cut, and start relying on grease instead.

The main screws have knurled collars with set screws to hold them in place. The collars were so tight the screws wouldn't move. I had to loosen the set screws, back off part of a turn, and tighten them down again.

I don't want to poop on a business that is delivering a useful gun-related product, but I was pretty surprised by the problems.

Also, some real instructions would be nice. There are some hints on the box. They're not great, and if you want to throw out the box, you have to scan them or something.

With very little effort, they could make this a much better product.
Old April 28, 2020, 05:33 PM   #2
Scorch

In my experience most things that says NC Star on them will not hold up. NC Star specializes in Airsoft guns.