The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 14, 2021, 01:56 PM   #1
Colorado Redneck

Primers there...and then gone

I called the local Scheels, a person in reloading said there are small rifle and small pistol primers. It too 12 minutes to high tail it out there and haul my fat rear end up the escalator and...dang...the small rifle primers were gone. Welp, next time. There were probably 6000 small pistol primers in the cabinet.. CCI. So, the components are showing up...slowly.
Old April 14, 2021, 04:00 PM   #2
Joe-ker

I wonder what the price was?
Old April 14, 2021, 04:54 PM   #3
eastbank

you should have bought some small pistol primers, you may able to trade them for small rifle.
Old April 15, 2021, 12:16 AM   #4
Colorado Redneck

About the price...after I got home that same question came to me. Sorry, but I have no clue.
Old April 15, 2021, 08:49 AM   #5
seanc

No pictures, it didn't happen .
Old April 15, 2021, 11:24 AM   #6
edfardos

scheels, reno, maybe 60 boxes of cci small rifle #41. about 42 bucks per K. last weekend, no lines.

call me when they have spp please!
Old April 15, 2021, 12:53 PM   #7
jag2

People use SRP in place of SPP all the time, I do. Why not the reverse, better than nothing which is what I have now.
Old April 15, 2021, 03:16 PM   #8
DaleA

My Scheels experience, and you, you young pup, (says Dalea lapsing into an old geezer wheeze), I was shopping at Scheels in Fargo when they had a going out of business sale at their downtown store and everybody thought Scheels was done fer,...

was last January at their Fargo store (a marvelous new BIG store in Fargo) when they put out an absolute boat load of Remington 115 grain 9mm in 250 round bulk packs that filled up about 2/3 of their handgun ammunition shelves and was selling for about $87 a box. Note: there was NO other handgun ammunition on the shelves, just the Remington 9mm.

I and a few others looked at all that ammo and said "eh, well if it's AVAILABLE I guess I don't need any right now (I didn't) and we walked away mentally adding $87 (I rounded up to $100) to the amount we could morally add to our next gun purchase. Oh those mental games we play with our selves.

Anyway a couple weeks ago I stopped by the same Scheels and yeah, the handgun ammunition shelves were totally empty so I guess the ammo shortage is not over but I still don't regret NOT buying the 9mm 'cause there's a Ruger Redhawk revolver at a local guns store I'm lusting after and the SA Hellcat sure looks neat, and Ruger (I am an admitted Ruger fan) has a MAX-9 out ... to paraphrase one of the frequent contributers on this site, "Life is Interesting".
Old April 16, 2021, 12:03 AM   #9
Colorado Redneck

Early last year, there were Remington 7 1/2 primers at Sportsman's Warehouse. I had a 3 year supply so let the opportunity pass. Now I am kinda regretting that, mainly because with Remington manufacturing change of ownership it may be several more years before they are in stock. By that time I might be resting in an urn on the mantle.
Old April 16, 2021, 12:21 AM   #10
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag2 View Post
People use SRP in place of SPP all the time, I do. Why not the reverse, better than nothing which is what I have now.
Pierced or blown primers is why do don't go the other direction The ammount of compound is generally the same between srp and spp. However srp have thicker cups to hold the much higher pressures that rifles deal with.
Old April 16, 2021, 07:39 AM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

SR primer compound is closer to SP Mag primer compound, IME. But the cups don't match because a lot of revolvers don't hit the primer as hard as a rifle does.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 16, 2021, 11:34 AM   #12
7.62 man

I was at my local Academy sports store & saw 5 packs of 100 LRP sitting on the shelf. I didn't need them but as I walked around the corner I thought maybe my buddy would need some so as I gave him a call I walked back to the shelf they were on they were gone.
Ooh well it was a good try. LOL
Old April 17, 2021, 10:54 AM   #13
langenc

Copied from #6-
""scheels, reno, maybe 60 boxes of cci small rifle #41. about 42 bucks per K. last weekend, no lines.""

That is terrible.

About 10 yrs ago I bought 5000-CCIs-som size. One of the other club members needed some and I sold him 2000 for #+$35 which was what they cost. Our club bought clay birds by the truck full (15 or more pallets) and the supplier also sold
po, primers, wads etc. Was supposed to be wholesale, no freight and NO hazmat, as they were delivered on comapanies semi. If that co dont need hazmat why does UPS?? oh yea, greed.
Old April 20, 2021, 12:42 AM   #14
Chaparral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-ker View Post
I wonder what the price was?
I bought small pistol primers at the Scheels in the Dallas metroplex last Thursday. They only sold them by the 100. and it was only 300 per person, so me and my wife got 300 a piece. They were $3.99 per 100.
Old April 21, 2021, 11:57 PM   #15
larryf1952

The last time that I've seen primers at my local Scheels store was in March of 2020. As of right now, they've completely rededicated the former primer shelf space to other products. I asked an associate why they did this, and he said that when they got primers in, it'd only be a box or 2, so it wasn't worth it. Maybe, that's changing by now.

In any case, I got onto Scheel's website last July and found where they had SPP and LPP in stock. I left the next day on a road trip from KC and drove to Rochester, MN to buy 5 bricks of SPP. A couple of weeks later, I drove to Lincoln, NE to pick up a couple of bricks of LPP. Coupled with the stock that I already had, I'm doing OK for now, but I hope that things get better soon.
Old April 22, 2021, 04:08 AM   #16
Geezerbiker

$75 for a 1000 primers seems steep.

Tony
Old April 22, 2021, 08:18 PM   #17
9mmSkeeter

My local Scheels had small and large rifle in stock this week. Limit one brick.

Got small rifle on Tuesday and again on Wednesday. Went back today for a lb of BLC(2) for 308. Not the best choice but that's all I got as it's a new cartridge to me.

Price was $44.99 for a brick of small, $74.99 for the large. But I think the large were match primers.