The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 1, 2021, 10:51 PM   #1
TruthTellers

Bullets for .22 rimfire?

I've been considering getting one of the kits for reloading .22 so I could load blackpowder (seems like the safest powder to use for reloading .22, lol) and the kit comes with a bullet mold, but it's a single cavity basically and IMO not even worth the time to cast and I've zero interest in buying a mold.

So, what, if any, options are there for buying bullets to reload specifically in .22 Short, Long, and Long Rifle?
Old April 1, 2021, 11:29 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

The .22 rimfires (other than .22WMR) use a "heel type" bullet and those were an uncommon specialty item to buy as components even before the first of the panic waves ate up all the .22LR ammo and sent prices through the roof.

sorry I can't be of help, but I think you are unlikely to be able to find what you're looking for without custom ordering it, if that is even possible.

It might just be that to get what you are looking for you will have to cast your own. Or perhaps swage them.

Good Luck!
Old April 2, 2021, 12:13 AM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

North American Arms:

https://northamericanarms.com/shop/parts/cbb1/

https://northamericanarms.com/shop/parts/cbb2/

https://northamericanarms.com/shop/parts/cbb3/

These are 30-grain bullets that look to be about right for .22 Short and .22 Long, but too light and too short for .22 LR. I believe these bullets are not lubricated, so you might look into either powder coating, or dipping in Lee Liquid Alox to alleviate leading.
Jeepaholic
Old April 2, 2021, 12:17 AM   #4
hammered54

Cutting Edge Bullets
@CuttingEdgeBullets ยท Outdoor & Sporting Goods Company
Old April 2, 2021, 12:42 AM   #5
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
North American Arms:

https://northamericanarms.com/shop/parts/cbb1/

https://northamericanarms.com/shop/parts/cbb2/

https://northamericanarms.com/shop/parts/cbb3/

These are 30-grain bullets that look to be about right for .22 Short and .22 Long, but too light and too short for .22 LR. I believe these bullets are not lubricated, so you might look into either powder coating, or dipping in Lee Liquid Alox to alleviate leading.
I thought about them, but they don't have a... well, I guess it wouldn't matter if they have a crimp groove because the section of the bullet where the crimp would be doesn't need a groove and the lead is soft enough it wouldn't be an issue.

This is what happens when you're not used to thinking about heeled bullets.

That's definitely a solution then because I was planning to get the percussion revolver NAA makes that shoots those bullets.

I think I'll give NAA a call about using them in .22 rimfire and see what they have to say about what the coating is on the bullets (black is not the color of lead, they're covered with something) and since they're meant for black powder it may be that the coating is for keeping the bp or substitute fouling soft.
Old April 2, 2021, 01:10 AM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers
I think I'll give NAA a call about using them in .22 rimfire and see what they have to say about what the coating is on the bullets (black is not the color of lead, they're covered with something) and since they're meant for black powder it may be that the coating is for keeping the bp or substitute fouling soft.
Please post what you find out.

[Asking for a friend. Yeah, that's it -- for a friend.]

FWIW, the crimping tool in the 22 Reloader kit works perfectly with those bullets. I've used it and those bullets to make dummy rounds for use in classes.
Jeepaholic
Old April 2, 2021, 01:44 AM   #7
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
Please post what you find out.

[Asking for a friend. Yeah, that's it -- for a friend.]

FWIW, the crimping tool in the 22 Reloader kit works perfectly with those bullets. I've used it and those bullets to make dummy rounds for use in classes.
Old April 2, 2021, 12:16 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Just be aware the priming mix in the kits is corrosive. You'll probably want to stick to running them in something you can completely disassemble and clean without too much inconvenience.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 2, 2021, 03:05 PM   #9
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
Just be aware the priming mix in the kits is corrosive. You'll probably want to stick to running them in something you can completely disassemble and clean without too much inconvenience.
Pretty easy to scrub the bore of a rifle, but the idea for this is mainly revolvers, which given I intend to only use black powder/substitutes, I'd have to do that anyway. Also, since the mix is corrosive, I don't see much benefit to using smokeless powder.
Old April 2, 2021, 04:40 PM   #10
gwpercle

And what happens when you can't find 22 LR bullets to buy ?
You just might want to pick up one of those single cavity bullet moulds for when that day comes .
You wouldn't believe how many bullets I've cast with them ... how about all the bullets I have ever wanted !
But NOE Bullet Moulds show 5 cavity 22 LR heeled moulds , in stock , and they may have more ...
Check them out at www.noebulletmolds.com
Now that you bring reloading for 22LR up ... I just might get one of these moulds and look into it . A Nice NOE 5 cavity mould would be SWEET !
Gary
Old April 2, 2021, 04:47 PM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

Not using smokeless is with corrosive primers is a good idea. The heavy fouling from black powder tends to suspend some of the potassium chloride combustion product from the primer and helps limit its corrosive effects for a short time. Smokeless powder essentially does none of that. It's why early users of smokeless powder blamed it for the corrosion they didn't get with black powder; at least, not so much of it.

I find Bore Tech's C4 product pretty good with black powder residue. Not only is it water-base for dissolving the potassium chloride, but it has effective corrosion inhibitors that add some further protection. Its only drawback is it is not as cheap as hot soapy water. But it does add those corrosion inhibitors and can be allowed to dry on steel without producing any rust.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle