The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 31, 2021, 02:38 PM   #1
FoghornLeghorn

AR15 uppers? Any difference?

Midway USA has a lot of AR15 uppers for sale. Stoner. Colt. Etc.

I have three AR15s. Ruger 556. S&W M&P 15 PC. Daniel Defense.

I also have an Anderson stripped lower with a (still in the package) S&W parts kit.

Are all uppers compatible with all lowers? I could swap the (stainless bull barrel target) upper on the S&W PC with the Ruger?

If yes, then if I go ahead and purchase an upper from Midway, it will work on any of the above?

Also, the Stoner uppers are ~$625 mark while the Colts are ~$1100. Is Colt that much better?

thanx
Old January 31, 2021, 02:52 PM   #2
MarkCO

Stoner barrels are kind of hit and miss. I'd not call them "junk" as others may, but be willing to have them not shoot, even need the chamber cleaned up.

Yes, there are differences in uppers in terms of precision, but in terms of reliability, other than Stoner, all of the major brands are going to be serviceable. Some will last longer than others, some will be more accurate. Just depends on what you want.

In general, all AR15 uppers and lowers should be compatible if they are being offered as new for sale now. There were two pin sizes years ago, but those are few and far between. The cheaper they are, you might have to ream a hole or turn down a pin here and there. You surely should be able to swap S&W with Ruger uppers and lowers around. You surely should be able to use any new upper on your current lowers.

Colt is definitely better than Stoner. But, IMHO, there are a lot that are equal to, if not better than Colt.
Old January 31, 2021, 03:17 PM   #3
FoghornLeghorn

Thanks.

Midway has mostly Stoners. Also a fair number of Colts. Delton and Bear Creek look to be budget models. Yankee Hill is not as expensive as Colt, but more expensive than Stoner, Delton, etc.

Cost is no object except the Knights Armament for $3,500. But it's 308 and I'm looking for an upper for the lower I'll be building.

Yankee Hill. Is that any good? It's priced more comparably to the Colt than the Stoners.
Old January 31, 2021, 08:07 PM   #4
Shadow9mm

Most uppers and lowers are all made in the same factories. Some companies get their uppers/lowers and do the milling themselves on the part to make sure everything is in spec, some don't. IMHO unless you are buying a premium upper... they are about the same. Barrels/bolt carries are a different story.

Prices are up. i bought a complete colt for 800 years back.

I would pass on the stoner unless you are going for a budget build.

personally for the money BCM still has a few uppers in stock
https://bravocompanyusa.com/16-mid-length-upper-group/

Last edited by Shadow9mm; February 1, 2021 at 12:13 AM.
Old February 1, 2021, 12:07 AM   #5
MarkCO

Yankee Hill is not the quality of Colt, Delton or Bear Creek. Daniel Defense and BCM even better.
Old February 1, 2021, 06:06 AM   #6
kymasabe

If you're building your own upper, I've had great luck with Anderson slick side uppers, fit and finish has been excellent on them.
Old February 1, 2021, 06:34 PM   #7
GarandTd

Yup, should.
Old February 11, 2021, 01:29 AM   #8
HWS

i would make any parts supplier swear, SWEAR, his product was mil spec and then try to verify this before actually buying. If it is mil spec I don't think anything else matters. Look for the best price.
Old February 13, 2021, 06:27 PM   #9
Fishbed77

Quote:
Most uppers and lowers are all made in the same factories.
This is not true.

There are a limited number of companies making forgings, but quite a number of companies machine finished uppers, and the quality can vary greatly.
Old February 13, 2021, 09:39 PM   #10
GarandTd

I have a stripped upper and a complete AR. Both uppers are Anchor Hocking forgings. The upper on my rifle came from PSA. I hadn't realized how nice it was until I received the stripped upper. The stripped upper pins on to my lower without issue, however, there are some rough edges and not so neat machining. They are not all the same, though they should be compatible.
Old February 16, 2021, 06:51 PM   #11
Metal god

The compatibility question has been answered I’ll throw in my two cents on A.R. stoner . I think MarkCO is spot on they’re OK but nothing special . I personally like Dell Ton for the price much more then Stoner . I don’t have any experience with Bear Creek . Colts are Colts what more can I say they will be gtg .

The one thing I see Dell Ton sell is a lot of is phosphate non-bore treated barrels . I have one and it worked just fine but to be honest I haven’t shot it in maybe five years . If there’s an option I would go with chrome lined barrel or nitride finished before a phosphate only .

This seems like the best deal going right now & free shipping SOLD OUT
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...sight-set.html

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; February 17, 2021 at 03:39 AM.
Old February 17, 2021, 02:50 PM   #12
HWS

Del-Ton is my go to company.
Old February 18, 2021, 12:32 AM   #13
greentick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal god View Post

This seems like the best deal going right now & free shipping SOLD OUT
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...sight-set.html
Back in stock!
Old February 24, 2021, 08:39 PM   #14
bfoosh006

As others have said, the difference is in quality control, and the attention to detail.

Colt does a bunch more testing on its parts. And even then the difference could be , the Stoner has batch testing v. the Colt testing every part.

A lot of the added cost is in those details... Magnetic Particle Inspected bolts, proper aluminum in the buffer tubes, Mil-Spec production and materials.

Does all that mean it will shoot better ? Maybe, maybe not.

But if it is built to mil-spec , you know it is a tried and true formula... a formula you might need to stake your , and your loved ones lives on.