The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 7, 2021, 06:14 AM   #1
Blindstitch

Suggestions Ar 15 with freefloated handguard

I'm thinking of getting into the Ar game. I'm not a big semi guy but I do have an sks. Thinking I might want something to fill a 0-200ish coyote, varmint, target rifle in 556.

I was looking at the specs of the Ruger MPR 556 and it looks good but haven't seen one locally. In no rush but max price is probably $1000.
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperst...-purpose-rifle

Any other suggestions are appreciated.
Old January 7, 2021, 02:27 PM   #2
eflyguy

Another option in the budget category might be a Mossberg MMR.

Purists will jump up and down and gnash their teeth, but it's accurate and meets your requirement. Read some reviews from people who've actually shot (or owned) one. Mine has been great but would need a trigger before I use it in competition, but that applies to most entry-level firearms. For a budget rifle, I'd rather drop in a proven kit vs paying for a rifle manufacturers "tunable" version. I am contemplating dropping one in anyway, having experienced the difference a great trigger can make on a different rifle I own.
Old January 7, 2021, 07:53 PM   #3
Shadow9mm

Ruger makes a good gun.

Peronally, for a coyote gun
I think the 18in barrel is perfect
1:8 twist should stabilize up to the 77g match weight and down, so good to go.
M-lock is my preferred handguard type. not a fan of keymod, but that is just personal preference

It all comes down to personal preference I think the ruger would get the job done very well, looks like a great deal to me at that price point.
Old January 8, 2021, 08:21 AM   #4
Destructo6

That Ruger AR looks like it would fit your needs/desires pretty well.

Keep all of them clean.
Old January 8, 2021, 09:03 PM   #5
Blindstitch

I guess it's good to see i'm researching a good rifle. The Mossberg doesn't look bad either and i'm a mossberg fan. 2 rugers live in the safe as well as 2 mossbergs.

In the past I've thought about building one but now I feel I want out of the box results.
Old January 10, 2021, 04:40 PM   #6
rocket12

Bushmaster Predator is also a great choice
Old April 18, 2021, 05:03 PM   #7
Blindstitch

Picked up the Ruger Ar556 Mpr on friday. I had been watching for one or similar for a while and one popped up. For some reason I felt it and liked it but was wanting a second opinion. When I came back it was gone.

Was watching the online inventory of local stores and calling all of the stores that said they had it and nobody did. My local dunhams store said they had it but it wasn't on display. I told the person behind the counter if they had it and could give me the discount price of the following day I would take it. They agreed and it came home with me.

Now i'm just waiting for the scope mount and Kaw Valley Linear compensator to show up. I'm hoping it keeps neighbors at the bench or hunting from being frustrated by the blast.

I'm sure there's some other stuff I need besides ammo.
Old April 18, 2021, 09:21 PM   #8
Shadow9mm

Congrats! I have some kaw valley comps, I like them. I have been able to shoot the kaw next to a brake and an A2 flash hider. It is a noticeable improvement over both, however it is still loud, just not obnoxious.

make sure to post a pic of the gun and some groups once you get it all together.
Old April 19, 2021, 02:02 AM   #9
Urbanrecon

That Ruger AR556 MPR is going to be good for coyotes a lot further out than 200 yards unless you have bad eyes and/or a case of the shakes.
Old April 19, 2021, 03:36 AM   #10
Blindstitch

Sometime around christmas the local farm store had a few last box special scopes. They were Simmons 4x12x40 with parallax adjustments I think for $50-55 down from something like $120 and I was given a gift card so I picked the one up for my 6.5 arisaka. By the time I got home I knew I had to go back and get the other.

I mounted it in place with some high rise 2 piece rings in my junk drawer till the one piece shows up this week. I like the look.

One thing i'm not sure about is besides wearing a glove how do you keep the hand guard from eating your hand? Was thinking maybe there's a wrap or innertube type material that would stretch over it just where my hand goes.
Old April 19, 2021, 05:42 AM   #11
zukiphile

Is the top rail too sharp? Rail ladders like this should work.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod20698.aspx
Old April 19, 2021, 06:49 AM   #12
imashooter

Very doubtful the KV comp will make any difference to neighbors. I have a few. They're ok but I think you are expecting it to do something which it won't.
Old April 19, 2021, 08:28 AM   #13
Fishbed77

My recommendation in that price range will be a BCM MCMR upper on a lower of your choice.
Old April 19, 2021, 01:09 PM   #14
Blindstitch

Quote:
Is the top rail too sharp? Rail ladders like this should work.
Not really the top rail but more the cuts to the underside and sides of the handguard. I have felt worse but i'm thinking there has to be some mlock clip in piece to smooth out the area where the hand falls most often.

Something like this would do but seems like there should be better options i'm not finding yet. http://www.kearms.com/shtf-wrap
Old April 19, 2021, 04:32 PM   #15
zukiphile

I wrapped mine in paracord. I don't mind the sharp edges, but touching the handguard directly on a sunny 95 degree day or a windy 25 degree day is unpleasant.
Old April 19, 2021, 06:01 PM   #16
Blindstitch

Paracord sounds like a cheap and easy solution.

Got the new scope mount today from amazon and took off the stock muzzle brake. That was a bear but I got it.
Old April 19, 2021, 08:50 PM   #17
eflyguy

I bought a pack of plastic covers that snap onto standard rails. My MMR has rails all the way around. Just a few $$. I thought from Amazon but can't find the link. Multiple sizes so you can put the big pieces where your palm goes, smaller ones for the thumb, etc.
Old April 20, 2021, 12:20 AM   #18
Geezerbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
I wrapped mine in paracord. I don't mind the sharp edges, but touching the handguard directly on a sunny 95 degree day or a windy 25 degree day is unpleasant.
I'd love to see a picture of that if you feel like posting one...

Tony
Old April 20, 2021, 05:51 AM   #19
zukiphile

Not beautiful, but it keeps me from having to wear a glove on my left hand when it gets very cold.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183018...posted-public/

It's been on for a couple of years and I don't generally notice it, so it must be working out.

Last edited by zukiphile; April 20, 2021 at 07:54 AM.
Old April 20, 2021, 10:55 AM   #20
Brownstone322

The Ruger AR-556 and the S&W M&P15 Sport II dominate that price segment. Can't miss with either.

Well, I would still miss, but you get it.
Old April 21, 2021, 12:09 AM   #21
ms6852

I am recommended 3 that I have experience with, S&W M&P15, Springfield Saint, and my favorite RRA.