The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old April 3, 2021, 01:23 PM   #1
Shadow9mm

how to get rid of bad bullets?

So how would one properly dispose of coated cast lead bullets? I am assuming just tossing them in the dumpster is frowned upon....

I am trying to make things work, but it raised the question. If I can't what do I do with them? I cant justify having a 50cal ammo can full of lead bullets just sitting around taking up space and an ammo can... Heck of a paperweight....

Backstory
I have about 2200 125g hi-tek coated cast lead bullets. They are leaving heavy leading in my barrels after only 50rnds at velocities in the 1050-1150fps range. A 5th gen G19 with the marksman barrel(lead safe), a Sig p365, and a kimber. They were supposed to be .357, however after measuring about 10 out of the 3 batches I have they were measuring at .3555 to .3565, with the majority being .3560. I know this is within normal sizes for this bullet but they are not what I ordered, and are not working in my guns.

I am trying to make them work. I am planning to back my loads down to see if and at what velocity the leading stops. I will also be trying a slower powder, I was using HP-38/Win 231 and will be testing some Accurate #7 and possible accurate #5. Will also be trying coating a batch in lee alox just because....

Last edited by Shadow9mm; April 3, 2021 at 02:11 PM.
Old April 3, 2021, 01:39 PM   #2
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
So how would one properly dispose of coated cast lead bullets? I am assuming just tossing them in the dumpster is frowned upon....

I am trying to make things work, but it raised the question. If I can't what do I do with them? I cant justify having a 50cal ammo can full of lead bullets just sitting around taking up space and an ammo can... Heck of a paperweight....

Backstory
I have about 2200 125g hi-tek coated cast lead bullets. They are leaving heavy leading in my barrels after only 50rnds at velocities in the 1050-1150fps range. A 5th gen G19 with the marksman barrel(lead safe), a Sig p365, and a kimber. They were supposed to be .357, however after measuring about 10 out of the 3 batches I have they were measuring at .3555 to .3565, with the majority being .3560. I know this is within normal sizes for this bullet but they are not what I ordered, and are not working in my guns.

I am trying to make them work. I am planning to back my loads down to see if and at what velocity the leading stops. I will also be trying a slower powder, I was using HP-38/Win 231 and will be testing some Accurate #7 and possible accurate #5.
There are three ways to "get rid of" cast lead bullets. 1. Modify your loads and find something that will work with them (light target loads). 2. Melt and recast them. 3. Sell, trade, give them to someone else.
Old April 3, 2021, 02:34 PM   #3
eflyguy

Many ranges have a container for bad ammo.
Old April 3, 2021, 03:10 PM   #4
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflyguy View Post
He did not say anything about bad "ammo". He said "bad bullets".
Old April 3, 2021, 03:17 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Shadow9mm,

Lead bullets are (relatively) soft and the coatings are pliant. You can do what cast bullet shooters have done for a long time, and that is squash them to a wider diameter and resize them. This isn't great for best accuracy, but it will likely cure your problem with them.

There are several approaches to the above. One is to do in a lubricator/sizer with a wider die and the press set up to fatten it. My feeling is that since we are not expecting to win a match with these bullets, but rather just get them to shoot, I would use an arbor press or even a vice to fatten them and, if you don't have a lubrisizer, a Lee sizer to final resize them. You may have to spray some cooking spray on them or dip them in light oil or in Lee Liquid Alox lube (yeah, I know, you got them to avoid that, but this is a salvage operation) to get them through the sizer, but it should make it possible to shoot them without the heavy leading.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 3, 2021, 05:17 PM   #6
eflyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahermit View Post
He did not say anything about bad "ammo". He said "bad bullets".
Ammo contains lead. They accept lead. So they will accept the bullets.

They asked how to get rid of them, if it comes to that.
Old April 3, 2021, 06:44 PM   #7
chris downs

If you "want to get rid of it", call the junk yard. He might even give you money for it.
Old April 3, 2021, 07:40 PM   #8
mehavey

Quote:
You may have to spray some cooking spray on them...
Plain old case lube (either liquid RCBS and/or wax) works beautifully.
Old April 3, 2021, 07:44 PM   #9
101combatvet

Bad bullets? Who makes bad bullets?

What powder and load were you using?
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor [7 Courses]
Old April 3, 2021, 09:36 PM   #10
reddog81

Put them in a medium flat rate box and send them to me. I’ll pay shipping and send you back 500 bullets of your choice. I’ve got a variety of molds in all the common calibers.
Old April 3, 2021, 09:48 PM   #11
rc

Sounds like a caster in your area would be happy to hear from you if the bullets are really bad.
Old April 4, 2021, 09:06 AM   #12
Mike / Tx

Like mentioned, you can either find someone local and swap them, or you could weigh them up and trade or sell them to someone who could cast up what you want.
Old April 4, 2021, 09:30 AM   #13
Jim Watson

I have done both, given defective bullets to casters to be melted down and devised fixes.

I had some pre - HiTek coated bullets that were ok in .38 and .45 but fouled badly at higher velocity in 9mm. I was able to use them by dip lubing them in LLA-JPW-MS - Lee Liquid Alox + Johnson's Paste Wax + Mineral Spirits. Equal parts Lee and Johnson's, the book value is 10% mineral spirits, but I diluted it a good deal more. I rolled them in the lube in a plastic bag, then spread them out on wax paper to dry.
Old April 4, 2021, 09:47 AM   #14
dahermit

Quote:
Ammo contains lead. They accept lead. So they will accept the bullets.

They asked how to get rid of them, if it comes to that.
"Bullets" do not equal "ammo".
Old April 4, 2021, 10:41 AM   #15
dahermit

Quote:
Not too sage advice in a time of component shortages.
Old April 4, 2021, 06:36 PM   #16
gwpercle

Hang onto them . 9mm Luger pistols come in all variances of bore and bullet likes .
Down the road you may pick up another pistol that will only shoot those bullets . I've discovered you never know what tomorrow will bring ... and it may want those undersized 9mm projectiles .
Gary
Old April 7, 2021, 04:23 PM   #17
Scorch

Lead bullets can be melted down and re-cast. Just sayin'.
Old April 7, 2021, 08:36 PM   #18
eflyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahermit View Post
Not too sage advice in a time of component shortages.
The OP asked specifically how to dispose of them. Whether you think it's "sage advice" or not, you can just answer their question, which is what I attempted to do.
Old April 7, 2021, 08:40 PM   #19
zxcvbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
Hang onto them . 9mm Luger pistols come in all variances of bore and bullet likes .
Down the road you may pick up another pistol that will only shoot those bullets . I've discovered you never know what tomorrow will bring ... and it may want those undersized 9mm projectiles .
Gary
I bought a Lee .358 bullet mold that dropped bullets at 3.60-something. I sent it back. I'm kicking myself now, because those bullets would be awesome for .38 S&W.
Old April 8, 2021, 04:00 AM   #20
Geezerbiker

You were lucky. Most of my Lee molds drop undersized bullets. I'm looking forward to getting into powder coating to solve that problem.

Tony
Old April 17, 2021, 09:41 AM   #21
reloader28

I thought one of the selling points of powder coating was you could bump up the diameter? put another coating on them and see what happens.
Old April 17, 2021, 12:42 PM   #22
hdbiker

Geerzer, my lee molds cast undersize too...hdbiker
Old April 17, 2021, 01:18 PM   #23
Geezerbiker

I'm somewhat glad that it's not just me getting undersized bullets from Lee molds.

I've taken to lapping them with 320 grit then 600 grit lapping compound. It's a pain in the rear to do but gives a mold that drops really smooth and shiny bullets. The first time I tried this I was hopping to open up a .430 mold to .432 for a Handi Rifle I had with an oversized bore. It didn't work... The best I could get it to with hours of hand lapping was .4305 but it now drops some really pretty bullets. The round nose bullets from this mold aren't my first choice but they shoot well from my .44 revolver.

I sold that Handi Rifle barrel and put a .17 Hornet barrel on it but that's another story...

Tony
Old April 17, 2021, 03:27 PM   #24
USSR

I gave up on cheap molds years ago. Tom at Accurate Molds (or MP Molds for hollowpoints) gets all may business now.

Don
Old April 26, 2021, 05:05 AM   #25
Don Fischer

Is this a trick question? shoot, throw them back in the melting pot and try again!