The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 4, 2021, 05:11 PM   #1
Chaparral

Powder question

Is there a website that one could go to that would show for example : If Powder "A" was 10 grains, Powder "B" would be the equivalent with 8 grains.
Old April 4, 2021, 05:49 PM   #2
FITASC

Do you mean like the reloading data sites form Hodgdon and Alliant? Or something else? Not sure I quite follow you.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 4, 2021, 06:01 PM   #3
Chaparral

Here is my dilemma. I ordered some of the Leigh 120 gr critical defense rounds for my 45 ACP. I went to their site to look up reloading data for that. They listed numerous powders with different loads. Out of the powders listed I only have one which is CFE Pistol. I was wondering if there is a website that showed the equivalent of one powder compared to another. I own other pistol loading powders, just not the ones they have listed.
Old April 4, 2021, 06:02 PM   #4
Shadow9mm

Powders are not linear. you cannot say x charge of hp38 equals y charge of power pistol. What you can do is reference your loading manuals, or online resources to compare velocity based on bullet weight.

If you are trying to copy the performance of a known load. Due to, for example not being able to find your normal powders. You can check the manuals and find powders that have similar velocity ranges to your current load Then you work your load up to to match the velocities to create the clone load.

What other powders are you working with? If it were me I would just be looking in the manuals for load data with 120g bullets, and work the load up from start using lehighs COAL.

Last edited by Shadow9mm; April 4, 2021 at 06:09 PM.
Old April 4, 2021, 06:15 PM   #5
Chaparral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
Powders are not linear. you cannot say x charge of hp38 equals y charge of power pistol. What you can do is reference your loading manuals, or online resources to compare velocity based on bullet weight.

If you are trying to copy the performance of a known load. Due to, for example not being able to find your normal powders. You can check the manuals and find powders that have similar velocity ranges to your current load Then you work your load up to to match the velocities to create the clone load.

What other powders are you working with? If it were me I would just be looking in the manuals for load data with 120g bullets, and work the load up from start using lehighs COAL.
Okay, that answered my question. Darn, not the answer I wanted but that's the way it goes. Hec I was hoping for a neat little calculator somewhere that you could punch in this brand of powder in 10 grains equals this brand of powder in 9 grains.
Old April 4, 2021, 06:17 PM   #6
gwpercle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparral View Post
Is there a website that one could go to that would show for example : If Powder "A" was 10 grains, Powder "B" would be the equivalent with 8 grains.
None that I'm aware of .

About the only thing I can think of is Western Powders Burn Rate Chart but that only lists which powders have similar burn rates (fast - medium - slow) but nothing in the charge for charge category .

Maybe some sharp computer guy will create an APP for that !
Gary

Last edited by gwpercle; April 4, 2021 at 06:24 PM.
Old April 4, 2021, 07:18 PM   #7
USSR

Chaparral,

What you do is look at a burn rate chart as gwpercle mentioned, which lists a powder (powder "B") with a similar burn rate as your powder "A". Then, you go looking for load data specific to powder "B", if it lists load data for your cartridge.

Don
Old April 4, 2021, 07:34 PM   #8
Chaparral

Quote:
Originally Posted by USSR View Post
Chaparral,

What you do is look at a burn rate chart as gwpercle mentioned, which lists a powder (powder "B") with a similar burn rate as your powder "A". Then, you go looking for load data specific to powder "B", if it lists load data for your cartridge.

Don
Thank you sir
Old April 4, 2021, 08:10 PM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

Keep in mind that those charts are not comparing actual burn rates, but relative burn rates that rank the pressures produced by a fixed charge weight of different powders in a specific cartridge with the same bullet in place. The relative burn rate ranked that way won't be the same in all cartridges due to dissimilarities of burning curve shapes and the differing ease and rates of expansion with different cartridge and bullet combinations. That is why relative burn rate charts from different companies don't rank powder's in the same exact order. They used different cartridges or bullet weights or both. At best they give you a very general idea of relative speed with which a powder produces pressure.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 5, 2021, 04:08 PM   #10
RC20

While its not cheap, Quick Load comes to mind as an answer if not all that feasible.

You can plug in the various powders and get its output on what they do.

Trial and error as you would have to plug in various gr loads for your candidate powder after you do the base powder load to see where it falls out.

A manual like Hornady or Sierra lists quite a few powders. You don't want to be down in the starting load area and not at max loads doing it but and you can cross over from one manual to the next in some cases to get to another powder.

Powder sort out can be a tough gig.

Compare enough sources and you can make some good guesses for a reasonable
Quote:
starting load
even if its not the specific bullet mfg.

Or as I say, I never was sorry when I was safe but I sure have been sorry more than once when I was not.
Old April 5, 2021, 04:12 PM   #11
FoghornLeghorn

Or, just do it the way Elmer Keith used to. Keep adding powder to the loads until the gun blows up and then back off 10%.

Maybe that's where the obsession of having two of the same gun came from.
Old April 5, 2021, 04:34 PM   #12
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparral View Post
Kind of, but it's only so accurate. You can compare loads based on pressure with the same bullet weight for various powders. I do this as a consideration when buying powder. Winchester's website will get you started in the right direction.
Old April 5, 2021, 05:17 PM   #13
mehavey

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleNick
... those charts are not comparing actual burn rates, but relative burn rates that rank the pressures produced
by a fixed charge weight of different powders in a specific cartridge with the same bullet in place.
^^^^^^^ THIS^^^^^^^
Don't use Burn Rate Charts
to wet-thumb loading results

Last edited by mehavey; April 5, 2021 at 06:30 PM.
Old April 5, 2021, 05:23 PM   #14
USSR

Quote:
Or, just do it the way Elmer Keith used to. Keep adding powder to the loads until the gun blows up and then back off 10%.
Aw, c'mon FL, some of the younger guys might believe that about EK. He actually had one old balloon head .45 Colt case let go and destroyed a Colt SAA cylinder.

Don
Old April 5, 2021, 09:30 PM   #15
Unclenick
Staff

CAUTION: The following post (or a page linked to) includes or discusses loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge (QuickLOAD or Gordon's Reloading Tool data is not professionally tested). USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

The problem isn't just the powder curves, but also expansion ratios and different maximum pressures. In QuickLOAD, (and these loads are imaginary for illustrative purposes; I do not recommend actually doing this) if I take a .308 110-grain bullet and use Red Dot and H110 to load a 30 Carbine, a 7.62×39 and a 30-06 to maximum pressure, the load ratios of the two powders are 2.65:1 in the Carbine, 2.27:1 in the 7.62×39, and just 1.9:1 in the 30-06. And while these are unlikely pairings, it illustrates the fact there isn't any one ratio that works across the board.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 5, 2021, 09:42 PM   #16
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparral
I ordered some of the Leigh 120 gr critical defense rounds for my 45 ACP.
"Rounds" is a term that is applied to loaded cartridges. Can we assume that what you are referring to is 120-gr bullets? That's a VERY light projectile for .45 ACP, which is why you're not finding a lot of data for it. I'm surprised you found anything at all.

Quick Load has been mentioned, as has its cost. Gordon's Reloading Tool is another internal ballistics calculator, and it's currently a free download. They are continually updating and expanding their bullet and powder databases, and the program offers the option to manually enter a bullet by weight and dimensions if it isn't in their database. You could use that to compare loads with different powders (if the powders you have are in their database).

https://grtools.de/doku.php

If you try Gordon's Reloading Tool, BE SURE TO READ THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR EVERY ITEM YOU ENTER. I know reading the instructions is anathema to real men, but READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.
Jeepaholic