The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 7, 2018, 05:09 PM   #1
Spats McGee
Staff

New Gun Day Has Arrived: Ruger American Rimfire!

As some of you may have noted from one of my other threads, I am rediscovering the joys of the .22LR. I have gone through my patented 11-Stage Overthinking Process, and decided that I want a .22 bolt gun. In fact, I started a thread called Squirrel Sniper when I was just beginning my search. In spite of the name, the most likely scenario is that this rifle will be used for plinking, or target shooting out to about 100 yards.

I have settled on the Ruger American Rimfire. I have a question.

I can choose between the 18" threaded barrel, or the 22" barrel. I can get the 22" barrel threaded later. How much difference will it the extra 4" make in accuracy, given that I'll be shooting suppressed? I realize that my mileage may vary.
Old October 7, 2018, 06:23 PM   #2
Sharkbite

I run an Ruger American rimfire Predator version with a Warlock II can. Could not be happier. My 12 yo has a standard Ruger American and always shoots mine instead. He got his first P-dog with it this year.

Bang- flop... or more accurately, pffft-flop. DRT.

The extra barrel length will not matter for either accuracy or real velocity gain. I like the shorter barrel as it allows me to fit the can without the gun becoming crazy long
Old October 7, 2018, 06:32 PM   #3
mikejonestkd

Barrel length has no direct correlation on accuracy. I'd get the shorter length if I was going to put a can on it.
Old October 8, 2018, 05:02 AM   #4
jetinteriorguy

I too am feeling the urge, so I picked up one of the Savage B22's with the heavy barrel a while ago. I put a cheap Bushnell scope on it and for around $250.00 it's crazy how accurate it is. Every shot at 50 yds under 3/4", using the BDC at 75 yds around an inch, and at 100 yds 1 1/2". It's so easy to shoot it's actually boring. I bought it to get the trigger time since it's the accutrigger like my 12FV. Everyone that shoots it is blown away by the accuracy. It's pretty close with most any high velocity ammo but Aguia seems to be the best followed very closely by Blazer and CCI Mini Mags. Cheap to shoot and super fun, great combo.
Old October 8, 2018, 07:12 AM   #5
Mobuck

"I can get the 22" barrel threaded later. How much difference will it the extra 4" make in accuracy,"
Most likely, nothing. You might need to check the outer diameter of that 22" barrel as it may end up cut back to 16-18" before threading anyway. I just had a 77/17 barrel threaded and it ended up @ 17.5" in order to get sufficient shoulder for the muffler to butt against.
While you may get a ringer, I've found the RAR to be just OK accuracy wise. I'm frequently embarrassed by Son's CZ when shooting my RAR . Ammo advice: I had good results with Aguila sub-sonic but CCI sub-sonic 40 grain HP is even better and those hollow points actually work on critters. If you're going muffled with a rifle length barrel, sub-sonics are the only way to get really ear safe.
Old October 8, 2018, 07:51 AM   #6
jmr40

Get the 18" barrel. Anything over 20" on a 22 is a waste.

I'd buy this one

https://ruger.com/products/americanR...eets/8351.html

Winston Churchill
Old October 8, 2018, 10:56 AM   #7
Mobuck

"I'd buy this one"

Mine is that one in blue. As mentioned accuracy is OK until the CZ comes out of it's case.
Old October 8, 2018, 01:30 PM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

Thank you, one and all, for your input. I had initially wanted this rifle: https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-am...U#.W7uilNdKjIU, but I think I'm going to try to find one of these: https://ruger.com/products/americanR...eets/8334.html

Failing those, I'll just pick up a RAR standard with the 18" threaded barrel.

Again, thank you.
Old October 10, 2018, 01:09 PM   #9
ndking1126

Quote:
patented 11-Stage Overthinking Process
This sounds intriguing. I'd certainly have to guess this is said as hyperbole and nothing specific, but sounds interesting none-the-less.
Old October 10, 2018, 02:26 PM   #10
Sharkbite

Spats,

In full disclosure, i have 3 of the RAR rifles. Two of the 22lrs and a 17hmr. On all three i had to relieve the stock in the barrel channel. The foreends on thes guns needs to be stiffer to avoid the barrel touching it.

Not a big deal. A cpl minutes with the dremel and they shoot just fine.
Old October 10, 2018, 04:32 PM   #11
Spats McGee
Staff

Thank you all for your input. I researched, I hemmed and I hawed. I thought I wanted the 22" barrel. But I wanted it threaded. So I thought about the 18" threaded barrel. I almost never care what color a gun is, but this is one of the few purely fun guns I've allowed myself in several years, so I decided that, if possible, I wanted something other than basic black. Every gun I own is either black or parkerized green. I really liked the "copper mica" stock. I drove over an hour last night because a relatively-local gun store had the stainless model with black furniture and the threaded barrel. It was nice, and at a good price for that gun, I have to admit. Unfortunately, it was still high enough that it would have cut into my scope budget fairly hard. So I passed. I also talked to a buddy of mine (who is a gunsmith), and he believes that there's enough metal at the end of that 22" barrel to thread it. If there's not, he can cut it back.

Today, I finally decided to just bite the bullet and order this rifle. Having never ordered a firearm online, I called my LGS (that I have visited 3-4 times in the past 2 weeks) to find out how this process goes. During the phone call, the guy asks me about the rifle I want. When I describe it, he says, "I think we have one of those in the back." Really?!? Apparently, they had several of them hiding in the back . . . . I ask him what they want for them, crunch the numbers, and figure out that it will cost me the princely sum of about $8 extra to have it in my grubby little hands today, rather than wait on shipping.

NEW GUN DAY HAS ARRIVED!
Old October 10, 2018, 04:33 PM   #12
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndking1126 View Post
This sounds intriguing. I'd certainly have to guess this is said as hyperbole and nothing specific, but sounds interesting none-the-less.
It's not really patented. I simply loathe Buyer's Remorse and overthink every purchase over about $50.
Old October 10, 2018, 04:34 PM   #13
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite View Post
Spats,

In full disclosure, i have 3 of the RAR rifles. Two of the 22lrs and a 17hmr. On all three i had to relieve the stock in the barrel channel. The foreends on thes guns needs to be stiffer to avoid the barrel touching it.

Not a big deal. A cpl minutes with the dremel and they shoot just fine.
Thanks, Sharkbite. When the time comes to have the barrel threaded, I'll have my buddy look at that. I might be able to do it without screwing something up, but I'm certain that he can.
Old October 10, 2018, 05:25 PM   #14
Sharkbite

Spats

Its SUPER easy. A sanding drum on the dremel and just relieve the channel. I had the stock on my 17hmr hydra dipped in kyptex. That way the P-dogs dont see me coming. Lol.

Pm me a # and i’ll txt some pics
Old October 11, 2018, 11:45 AM   #15
jetinteriorguy

Congrats. Have fun.
Old October 15, 2018, 09:15 AM   #16
Spats McGee
Staff

Let's see if I can post a picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RAR 002.jpg (136.4 KB, 979 views)