The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 12, 2010, 05:29 AM   #1
Striker846

CC permits in MD

Hello
Im in the military in germany and I'm about to be back in the states from a 3 year tour. 15 months in iraq as well.
Im looking to get a CCW in maryland. Im going to be stationed at FT detrich.

Is it possible for military to have a CCW in maryland? And would would be the steps I take to get one?
Old January 12, 2010, 08:35 AM   #2
blume357

I really don't have an answer, and am only taking up band wythe...

but..

If you find a Concealed Carry permit in MD for the common citizen...let us know.
Old January 12, 2010, 09:06 AM   #3
ohen cepel

It can be done, but is highly unlikely for you to get one. And, if you do get one it will be highly restricted depending on your justification.

My advice; don't bother with it. Can't carry daily if you work on post so the weekdays are a wash for you anyways.

Live in PA (not that far of a drive), get your permit there. Then, stay out of MD all that you can.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old January 12, 2010, 10:25 AM   #4
DieHard06

Ohen cepel is right. I grew up in MD pretty close to Ft. Detrich. It is not far from PA, and if you can, live there. It is cheaper to live in PA anyway. If not, while that area of MD is very gun friendly, the politicians that run MD pretty much all come from Baltimore or are voted in by people from that area, and it is highly unlikely that you will be able to get a CC permit.
Old January 12, 2010, 11:20 AM   #5
Striker846

Hmm well when I get there hopefully they will let me stay right across the border for off post housing and so on.

Does anyone know if i need to register my guns with the state of PA or MD when i move there? or any special things i need to have?
Old January 12, 2010, 01:17 PM   #6
knight0334

PA has no gun registration. But transfers of "firearms"(handguns, SBS, SBR) are recorded, included private transfers. If you move to PA nothing more needs to be done, just bring your guns. You can then apply for a LTCF at the Sheriff of the county in which you reside.
Old January 12, 2010, 06:27 PM   #7
joehorner

MD

"Maryland" The FREE state Go to PA and don't look back. One of many reasons I will be moving to WNC in May. Joe
Old January 12, 2010, 06:52 PM   #8
Tom Servo
Staff

I lived in Baltimore in the mid 1990's. Following an attempted home invasion (during which I was warned not to shoot the intruders), I asked about getting a permit. I was stonewalled the entire way and finally had to ask a lawyer exactly where to get the paperwork.

I filed the forms, paid my money, showed need and qualification and waited. Four months later, I was told I was denied for lack of justification. My understanding is that they simply will not issue one to anyone without significant political connections.

If at all possible, try to get residence in PA.
Old January 12, 2010, 07:00 PM   #9
ohen cepel

Read the laws in md if you get stuck there. They have items which are banned that even if you owned them legally in another state you can't take them there.

The only place worse (lucky me I've gotten sent to both of them!) is ny it seems.

Best advice is to stay out of md if possible.

I may have to go back there and if I do, that is my plan.

NRA Life Benefactor Member