The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 9, 2000, 09:47 PM   #1
CSOs ROCK

I've organized a bunch of people to buy a rifle for a mutual friend. We're all poor college students and we've managed to rake in approx. $300. I found a guy selling a Savage 110 in 30-06 and unfortunately I know nothing about rifles other than my own 10/22. I need to know as much as I can about this rifle as quickly as possible to see if it's worth the price. The seller is asking $250 for a rifle that, according to him, has just aesthetic flaws... scratches on the stock and minor blue wearing. It seems like a good deal but not many of the people I work with seem to know all that much about it. Any help would be hot...
Thanks!
Old November 9, 2000, 09:55 PM   #2
Fatcat

I own a 110 just like this one, and it is a good gun, very accurate. The stock is a cheap hunk of polymer, but it is alright for normal purposes.. and of course, you can just drop it in a better stock later. All in all a good gun, not as well built as a Remington, but a good gun none the less. As a basic rifle, it's worth the money.

To most people, they're butt ugly.. but beauty is in the eye of the beholder

------------------
"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against tyranny, which though now appears remote in America, history has proven to be always possible."
Old November 9, 2000, 09:55 PM   #3
Steve Smith

$250 is about right for a used Savage 110 with a blued barrel, but you might want to try $225. The 110 "package" from S.O.G. is running $339 right now, and that's with a 3-9x32 scope on it (I think made by Simmons). Find someone that you know who knows something about guns and have him look at the barrel. The gun you're talking about would be a private sale? That's worth $$ to me...it may not be worth a dime to you.
Old November 9, 2000, 11:41 PM   #4
CSOs ROCK

Frontsight!
You think I should try to negotiate down to $225? This guy lives in VT and I'm in CA so I'd have to pay something like $50 for FFL as well.

I didn't mention this in my original post but there's some sort of scope on there too. I don't know what the power of the scope...

Another thing I didn't mention is that it is a wood stock and not a synthetic.
Old November 10, 2000, 12:58 AM   #5
Jay Baker

CSOROCK, without being able to examine the rifle, plus, you and your friends are not too informed of them, I suggest you skip this deal. Vermont is a long way from San Diego. If the rifle is a dud, you've not only been taken but you've given faulty goods to a friend.

There are a number of good gun stores in your area where you can buy used guns, and if there's a problem, you can go back to the store.

Just my opinion. J.B.

Old November 10, 2000, 01:29 AM   #6
Zorro

I got offered a PERFECT version of the same in 7MM Magnum for $275 complete with scope.

Shoot for $200!

Old November 10, 2000, 01:56 AM   #7
CSOs ROCK

I'm kind of set on this... there aren't many places around here w/ used 30-06.

Besides... the seller did mention that he'll allow a 3-day return guarantee.
Old November 11, 2000, 05:43 AM   #8
beertrucker

Take it for a test drive. beertrucker-x
Old November 11, 2000, 10:54 AM   #9
Steve Smith

The 3 day return guarantee will not allow you to shoot it. I agree with Jay. Having the new info, I'd skip it too. San Diego or not, there are a lot of folks in CA that hunt, and further north in CA yo'll find plenty of guns for private sale. Check out the link in my sig line for private sales near you. Also check out newspapers from other areas. I don't think the rifle itself is worth more than $250 BOTTON LINE...not FFL, transfer fee, tax, nothing. Savages are great rifles, but getting a good deal isn't that hard!
Old November 11, 2000, 08:53 PM   #10
CSOs ROCK

Thanks for the help fellas...

Frontsight... where's the link?
Old November 12, 2000, 11:39 AM   #11
Steve Smith

OOPS! Here it is!

------------------
Private gun sales online! Click here!
http://pub4.ezboard.com/bprivatepartygunsales

If that link isn't working, just copy and paste it into your address line and hit enter.

[This message has been edited by Frontsight! (edited November 12, 2000).]
Old November 16, 2000, 12:34 AM   #12
Dock

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CSOs ROCK:
I've organized a bunch of people to buy a rifle for a mutual friend. We're all poor college students and we've managed to rake in approx. $300. I found a guy selling a Savage 110 in 30-06 and unfortunately I know nothing about rifles other than my own 10/22. I need to know as much as I can about this rifle as quickly as possible to see if it's worth the price. The seller is asking $250 for a rifle that, according to him, has just aesthetic flaws... scratches on the stock and minor blue wearing. It seems like a good deal but not many of the people I work with seem to know all that much about it. Any help would be hot...
Thanks!
[/quote]

I'd go with the SOG package for $339.00. Gun Tests (Oct., 2000) Says: "Our recommendation: But it: this $449 package is such a steal, we hate to alert Savage Arms for fear that they'll raise the price" . Yes, the scope is listed as a Simmons 3-9X32. Savage free floats the barrel. Accuracy by Gun Tests was comparable to a Remmington 700BDL and a Ruger 77 MKII also in .223. The package seems to be a sound entry level rifle. No frills, but you get a new rifle for your friend with a short (one year) factory warrenty, sling, and boresighted (Simmons) scope. I'm buying one in .270 for a North Carolina deer gun. Upgrades can be added as determined by your friend's preferences.

Remember, the BATF will have the Purchaser's name linked with the weapon and on file via the FFL form and "instant" background check at the time of actual purchase. This is unfortunate but true.

Good Luck.

Sorry. Typo. That's "Buy it" not "But it"

Again, Best of luck

[This message has been edited by Dock (edited November 16, 2000).]