The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 30, 2021, 01:24 PM   #1
Pistoler0

Button up dress shirt for shoulder carry?

Hello all,

I work in a setting in which I have to dress formally: dress slacks and button up shirt, sometimes with a sports jacket (or suit) and sometimes not. Like this:

I have been concealing AIWB and it is great for stealth but it is not the most comfortable, and lately I have been considering shoulder carry.

Shoulder carry is very comfortable and I can do it all day. The only problem is that I need a sports coat, or a zip up jacket, or some other garment to cover it.

So my question is: do you know of any button up dress shirts with false buttons that snap open, that can be used for this purpose? One could conceal in a shoulder harness under such dress, then snap the buttons open for drawing.

I have seen these online:
https://www.galls.com/concealed-carry-shirts

and although they have the desired snap open button feature, they are not truly for formal wear.

I was looking for shirts more like the one pictured in this link:
https://www.concealmentclothes.com/b...-dress-clothes

Suggestions greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg formal wear.JPG (32.5 KB, 203 views)
Old January 30, 2021, 05:56 PM   #2
Onward Allusion

What gun are you carrying? Have thought about a tuckable IWB?
Old January 30, 2021, 09:32 PM   #3
ballardw

I remember a while back there was a company making shirts with snaps concealed by buttons so the shirt looked like it buttoned but you could pop open the shirt easily.

But can I find it now?

5.11 makes a number of shirts such as: https://www.511tactical.com/legend-l...-shirt-ws.html with a velcro placket but the added vertical seam with the placket may not be desired.
Old January 31, 2021, 05:58 PM   #4
Rob228

Woolworth Tactical shirts use magnets to make it look like your shirt is buttoned but you can reach inside. They are also designed around concealment.
Old February 1, 2021, 03:50 AM   #5
RETG

People carry with their shirt over their weapon at all times, and I would hope they are willing to rip off buttons if that weapon is needed in a seconds notice. So, if you can conceal a shoulder holster under your shirt, once in your lifetime you may need to rip it open to access the weapon. Or, at least I would hope only once....
I give MY OPINION (not often) based on many years shooting at, other than paper targets. I will not debate my experience vs. your experience based on dreams and "what ifs." I'm 73; I'm too damn old to care.
Old February 1, 2021, 07:58 AM   #6
zeke

http://www.klnullholsters.com/default.htm

When our state got cc, used this holster with buttoned up/tucked in shirts and S&W 638. You would still need to rip buttons for quick access. Also helps not to wear tight shirts.
Old February 1, 2021, 12:38 PM   #7
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETG View Post
People carry with their shirt over their weapon at all times, and I would hope they are willing to rip off buttons if that weapon is needed in a seconds notice. So, if you can conceal a shoulder holster under your shirt, once in your lifetime you may need to rip it open to access the weapon. Or, at least I would hope only once....
yeah of course, but what that is not very convenient for practice. And practicing the draw is important for effective conceal carry.
Old February 1, 2021, 12:39 PM   #8
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward Allusion View Post
What gun are you carrying? Have thought about a tuckable IWB?
I have been carrying IWB but it is uncomfortable for all day, sitting at the desk.
Old February 3, 2021, 09:05 PM   #9
Onward Allusion

Before Covid and working in an office environment, I would occasionally use a tuckable left-handed IWB with a Glock 26 when I wore a dress shirt or polo tucked in. It would be positioned small of back, hence the opposite side of my strong side (right). The holster was slightly larger than the G26 to allow it to sit further down.

These days, I get to wear it on my hip if I'm wearing pants while working at home!
Old February 4, 2021, 11:27 AM   #10
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward Allusion View Post

These days, I get to wear it on my hip if I'm wearing pants while working at home!
Yeah, pyjamas carry
Old February 4, 2021, 10:18 PM   #11
Doc Intrepid

OP,

I used to work in the same environment. My solution was to use a 5.11 T-shirt holster, link here: https://www.511tactical.com/mens-holster-shirts.html They come in both white and black, I had both.

Over the T-shirt holster wear any dress shirt - but I went with darker shirts with patterns. I went with one size larger and took my shirts to a dry cleaners to get light starch. I simply left one button un-done on the shirt - and it was covered by my tie. If you're really concerned about it, use a tie clip to hold your tie in place over the buttons.

You are not going to do any 'quick draws' with this set-up, but it isn't difficult at all to reach in through the missing button and draw the pistol.

Something like a Glock 43 would be ideal with this rig. Just remember: "slow is smooth and smooth is fast"! It worked for me for a number of years. Best with it.
Old February 5, 2021, 11:29 AM   #12
Pistoler0

Thanks Doc!
Just purchased one of the 511 Tactical shirts.