The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 2, 2021, 09:31 PM   #26
Captains1911

You’re best off getting a spare recoil spring assembly (or two), trigger return spring, and slide lock spring. If it’s a brand new Gen3 glock, then those are the only parts that are even remotely close to requiring replacement within 5000 - 10,000 rds.

Last edited by Captains1911; February 2, 2021 at 09:39 PM.
Old February 2, 2021, 11:52 PM   #27
Alan0354

I am looking at the picture of the Apex extractor, they filed off the part EXACTLY how I would do as shown. I am debating whether to buy the stock MIM extractor that is much cheaper and file it down myself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Apex extractor.jpg (54.7 KB, 10 views)
Old February 2, 2021, 11:58 PM   #28
CedarGrove357

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock185 View Post
Alan0354, FWIW, I'm retired now, but was an LE Glock armorer for some years. Within my humble experience, Glocks are among the most reliable and robust semi-automatic pistols to be found. With quality factory ammunition, reloads/remanufactured, etc. ammunition doesn't count, they are about as close to 100% reliability as any pistols I know of. So enjoy your hobby, but I'm another that would suggest shooting the gun before modifications start...
I second this opinion if for no other reason than to KNOW a baseline of performance of the firearm BEFORE modification. If you start tinkering before you know how it now works, you could find yourself in a pickle that was there before you started, and could wind up chasing your tail. GLOCKs are bricks plain and simple. They work. Tinkering is fine, but go into it with knowledge of where and with what you are starting. "Chance favors the prepared mind."

Cedar Grove Farm and Arms
Old February 3, 2021, 12:10 AM   #29
Alan0354

I know what you guys are saying and I am not disagreeing in normal time. BUT we are at the time that ammo is hard to get and very expensive even if you get hold of some. It is not cheap to "try it first and see". HighValleyRanch said a box of 50 can be as high as $99. I can shoot the price of the gun just to "try it first and see"!!!

I have not made up my mind which way to go, But if I put in the new extractor and find the shell eject far away, no hitting the face, it will be a big win. I looked at the Apex extractor, that's exactly what I would file down if I were to work on the extractor myself. There is try and see, or there is logical engineering reason why that is better that way. That's part of how I fixed my 3 guns before. It is a logical improvement.

And besides, I am not going to alter anything in the original gun, I am going to take the whole trigger housing out and keep it safe, I am buying a new gen3 trigger housing to modify. If it doesn't work, no harm no file, I can just put back the original housing and extractor and back to the original gun. Those housing are cheap, $9.99 each, so it's going to be like $30 or so. Cost of like 15 rounds of bullets!!!

All the parts together is NOT that expensive compare to the ammo now a days. I totally agree if it is the days of cheap ammo and reloads are available.

Now, I am not encourage anyone to do the same thing. I worked on guns, quite a bit of it. I fixed guns, this is not my first rodeo. I have all the tools in the workshop at home also. It is my responsibility to my own guns, no way am I encouraging people to listen to me to do the same thing to theirs.

Last edited by Alan0354; February 3, 2021 at 12:23 AM.
Old February 3, 2021, 12:46 AM   #30
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Anyone have problem with the Glock stock extractor?
There were some problems with one of the Generations when they first came out, but that has been resolved, as far as I know.

The only problem I've heard is that if you direct chamber load (drop rounds in the chamber and then drop the slide as opposed to loading from the magazine as normal), you will likely chip an extractor eventually.

So don't direct chamber load--which is not really recommended for most guns anyway.
Quote:
BUT we are at the time that ammo is hard to get and very expensive even if you get hold of some. It is not cheap to "try it first and see". HighValleyRanch said a box of 50 can be as high as $99. I can shoot the price of the gun just to "try it first and see"!!!
What you are talking about doing is spending a bunch of money on parts without having any idea whether they are needed or not. The Apex extractor, alone, is around $55.

You won't have to shoot a whole box of ammunition to determine if the gun isn't extracting/ejecting properly, maybe only 5 to 10 rounds--even at $100 a box, that's only $10-$20.

So you spend $10 to $20 and now you know exactly what you need to fix--and you can buy only the parts you need to buy instead of buying all the parts you are speculating that you might need. Which means that even if you do need parts, you will probably save money over just buying everything on your list up front.

And if the gun works fine, then you saved a LOT of money--$55 alone on just the Apex extractor.

The bottom line appears to be that you WANT to tinker with the parts. Which is fine--it just doesn't make sense to try to justify it by pointing to cost. If you want to save money, the best solution is to fire a few rounds to diagnose first and then go from there.

By the way, be sure to do your testing with the magazine in the gun. The magazine is part of the ejection system of the Glock. Without it in place, it's common to get unusual ejection.
Old February 3, 2021, 01:56 AM   #31
Alan0354

I qualify my guns with at least 200 to 300 round after I work out all the kinks. I cannot judge by 20 rounds to just look at the ejection pattern. I calculated, the total parts cost is like $110 including changing to 30274 ejector and Apex extractor. That's only a little more than a box of 50 ammo.

I know I am justifying this, I take all the youtube and website comments as only a grain of salt. But I am betting 3 of 3 from my personal experience, not from hear say. Like I said, I do guysmithing.
Old February 3, 2021, 03:55 AM   #32
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
But I am betting 3 of 3 from my personal experience...
If you want to mess around with your new pistol, modifying/buying/installing parts, patterning the ejection over hundreds of rounds, that's certainly your prerogative. But I don't think you can claim you're doing it based on personal experience when you have none with the brand in question. And it's very unlikely to be a money saving strategy.

As far as "hearsay" goes, here's some just for fun.

I own 9 Glocks at the moment.*** One of them doesn't work, it's a cutaway model. So the comments below are only applicable to 8 of them

Number of Glocks that I have owned that have needed new or modified extractors to be reliable: 0.

Number of Glocks that have needed new or modified ejectors: 0 (To be fair, Glock did come out with a new ejector for one of the pistols I own. The pistol was not malfunctioning, but I figured going with the new part couldn't hurt. So I called them and they sent me a new one at no charge. I installed it and it was reliable without any fitting/filing/bending required.)

Number of Glocks that needed new springs or adjustments to any part of the ejection/extraction system to be reliable out of the box: 0 (Again, to be fair, Glock did come out with a new recoil spring assembly for one of the pistols I own. The pistol was not malfunctioning, but again, I figured having the new part would be good. They sent me one at no charge upon request and it worked fine.)

Ammunition required for patterning ejection to achieve reliability: 0 rounds.

Amount of money spent on parts to achieve reliability: $0

Amount of filing/grinding/tuning/bending required to achieve reliability: None.

Of course, 8 isn't a huge sample size--certainly not a guarantee that all Glock owners will have the same experience I did.

***No, Glock is not the only brand I own. I own firearms from a number of makers--in fact, looking through my inventory I see that when I count up the pistols I own by brand, Glock doesn't top the list. I own more than 10 handguns by one other maker.
Old February 3, 2021, 04:15 AM   #33
Alan0354

Hi JohnKSA

All 3 of my semi auto was NOT reliable out of the box, all had problem and I fixed it. By that, I mean jammed in the first 50 rounds. Not fixed first and saw no problem. The 659 was so bad I sent it back for warranty repair at the first place but they never totally fixed it. that's where I jumped in. I mentioned this a few times before.

I don't believe in breaking in, that the first 50 rounds don't count. I don't believe in only certain brand ammo can be reliable. I don't give excuse for the gun that jam.

Last edited by Alan0354; February 3, 2021 at 04:46 AM.
Old February 3, 2021, 04:51 AM   #34
Alan0354

Too bad cycling dummy rounds cannot show ejection problem, I tried that already. You have to cycle empty shell to see how the ejection looks. I don't think I can put empty shell into the mag and manually cycle it. Shell alone is too short to stay in the right place in the mag.

Maybe if I put dummy round in the mag after the empty shell so I can actually cycle the empty shell with the dummy round in the mag to replicate the real life situation.

EDIT: this really gives me ideas, I just ordered some of these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/9MM-Luger-S...8AAOSwaQdfoxu0

I can use these to stuff the mag and put an empty shell at the top, load the shell in the chamber and check ejection pattern, then I can use these dummy round to check feeding. These are hollow points, I can even grind the top a little flatter to simulate those Silver Tips for feeding reliability.

Last edited by Alan0354; February 3, 2021 at 05:58 AM.
Old February 3, 2021, 07:32 AM   #35
Captains1911

I currently own 15 glocks, and have sold 5 or 6 in the past. None of them had ejector or extractor issues. You seem to be in search of a problem that doesn’t exist.
Old February 3, 2021, 07:48 AM   #36
TunnelRat

Parts question for Glock 26 gen 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
Hi JohnKSA

All 3 of my semi auto was NOT reliable out of the box, all had problem and I fixed it. By that, I mean jammed in the first 50 rounds. Not fixed first and saw no problem. The 659 was so bad I sent it back for warranty repair at the first place but they never totally fixed it. that's where I jumped in. I mentioned this a few times before.

I don't believe in breaking in, that the first 50 rounds don't count. I don't believe in only certain brand ammo can be reliable. I don't give excuse for the gun that jam.

You’ve mentioned it a few times and people have explained to you a few times that with modern firearms it’s generally not needed.

I don’t remember anyone here saying Glocks out of the box need a break in, wouldn’t work for the first 50 rounds, or need a certain brand of ammo. I don’t remember anyone excusing Glocks for jamming. Honestly, stop asking us for validation of your plans and just do what you want to do as you seem to have your mind set. For that matter at a point this should be moved to the gunsmithing section if that’s the new purpose of the thread.

$99 a box of 50 is also not the new standard price. Cheaper Than Dirt is merely continuing its historical practice of inflated prices (I don’t know why people continue to shop with them). You already had an offer for $25 a box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; February 3, 2021 at 09:33 AM.
Old February 3, 2021, 09:29 AM   #37
HighValleyRanch

Jeez, you wasting all of our time. GO back and buy the three boxes of factory ammo, and shoot the dang thing if you can even find a range open.
Those dummy round look like an accident waiting to happen.
Fixating on Kabooms and ejecting problems are not going to be solved by tinkering or reloaded ammo.
Get some training in basics.
I've never had any function problems in the many many glocks I've owned.
Old February 3, 2021, 04:39 PM   #38
Alan0354

Yeh, I wish there is a gunsmithing forum here, then I won't be talking here. Gunsmithing is just as a hobby for me if not more than shooting. If anyone know of a gunsmithing forum, let me know. Always into mechanical stuffs, from fixing cars to everything else. If it's not for the huge size, I would even consider buying a milling machine at home and make my own parts!!!

Ha ha, I have yet to talk about my gunsmithing on smoothing double action of revolvers I have as this is semi auto forum.

thanks

Last edited by Alan0354; February 3, 2021 at 04:46 PM.
Old February 3, 2021, 04:48 PM   #39
HighValleyRanch

I surprised the moderators haven't already moved it there:
https://thefiringline.com/forums/for...daysprune=&f=8
Old February 3, 2021, 05:04 PM   #40
Alan0354

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
I surprised the moderators haven't already moved it there:
https://thefiringline.com/forums/for...daysprune=&f=8
Thanks

I did not know that's gun smithing forum here. Yeh, this post should be moved there.
Old February 3, 2021, 09:14 PM   #41
Onward Allusion

Quote:
My question is the stock MIM extractor that bad that it won't last? Or is it just Apex trashing OEM Glock extractor to sell their expensive extractor?

Anyone have problem with the Glock stock extractor?
I have the Lonewolf or Apex in several of mine. Never had a problem with extractors except for wear with use but that is normal. The Apex appeared to have a sharper edge. I swapped it because of SS but liked the nice shine of it more.
Old February 4, 2021, 01:17 AM   #42
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Yeh, I wish there is a gunsmithing forum here, then I won't be talking here.
There is a gunsmithing section on TFL here.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8

I'm actually interested in gunsmithing and in the details of how firearms work almost as much as I am in shooting them. That's why I own a cutaway Glock, for one thing. I couldn't find a lot of information on the details of the inner workings and that was an interesting way to learn about their internal functions.

If you want to tinker with your Glock, that's great. I have a gun that is sort of my project gun (ti's not a Glock, but that's immaterial). I play around with it and will make mods to it just for fun. But I don't rely on it for anything other than fun.

But the key is that I don't try to pretend that I'm doing it to save money or because it really needs to be modified to run properly--it ran fine before I started tinkering with it.

What I see is you trying to justify working on your gun in a number of different ways. The bottom line is that none of the ways you are trying to justify it work. The bottom line is that you WANT to work on it. That's ok, but everything would go more smoothly if you would stop trying to pretend that you're working on it for some other justifiable reason (to make it more reliable, to save money on ammo, because Glocks need to be modified, because your personal experience with a small number of pistols that weren't Glocks which needed to be modified, etc.).

Your stated approach is almost certainly not going to be necessary or economical--just like the tinkering I do on my "project gun" it's being done just for the fun of the tinkering.
Old February 4, 2021, 01:50 AM   #43
Alan0354

Hi JohnLSa

It's all the above. It is expensive to shoot $99 a box of 50. I am cheap. BUT I think I said from the get go that gun smithing is as much a hobby for me if not more than shooting. And also I did have problem with all 3 of my other pistols.

It is fun to do gun smithing. Towards the end, I actually work more on gun smithing and only shoot to proof the gun than the other way around.

Bottom line, money is really not the issue, I am just thinking out loud how to test guns. I even ordered 10 dummy hollow points rounds so I can test the feeding without actually firing the gun. The extra knowledge worth the money for me already.

By all means, get into gun smithing. For me, I don't like to kill animals, so my shooting is only limited to paper targets, it gets old after like 5 years of going to the range twice a week for the whole afternoon each. I drifted to gun smithing.

Let's put it in another way, if I ruining the Glock, I'd buy another one!!!
Old February 4, 2021, 01:54 AM   #44
JohnKSa
Staff

You won't ruin the Glock with any of the things you are talking about--you can always put the stock parts back on it and be good to go.

I'll be interested to see how things turn out for you. It's not that I think it won't be fun or interesting to play around with modifying it, I just want to make sure you're doing it for the right reason so you aren't disappointed later.
Old February 4, 2021, 02:00 AM   #45
Alan0354

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa View Post
You won't ruin the Glock with any of the things you are talking about--you can always put the stock parts back on it and be good to go.

I'll be interested to see how things turn out for you. It's not that I think it won't be fun or interesting to play around with modifying it, I just want to make sure you're doing it for the right reason so you aren't disappointed later.
Hey, I am allow to kid myself to justify all these!!! I am cheap, that's the way to justify it.
Old February 5, 2021, 01:09 AM   #46
Alan0354

For whatever it's worth, I bought 2 gen3 trigger housing(in case I screw one up) to replace the one comes with the gun.

2 of gen4 trigger housing ( to harvest the two 30274 extractor) in case I file and screw up one.

1 of gen5 trigger housing in case I want to try the gen 5 extractor. So I actually have 3 ejectors to screw around!!!

Apex extractor with spring. So I can save the original part.

non LCI extractor spring loaded bearing.

Trigger spring in case I mess up changing the trigger housing.

10 hollow point dummy rounds for checking feeding by just hand cycling the rounds.

I think I am set and cover everything and without using ANY or touching the original parts come with the gun. I can reverse everything if necessary to brand new condition by putting all the original parts back in.

Things are looking up, I have in another thread thinking about buying an accurate 22LR target pistol, but at the process talking it out, I discovered my old Mark II is so dirty the bolt cannot even close correctly. Instead of having to buy a new one, I think I can give it a good cleaning and it should shoot good. Things are coming together.

Yes, I am stoked.

Last edited by Alan0354; February 5, 2021 at 01:25 AM.
Old February 5, 2021, 03:15 AM   #47
eflyguy

I probably have 1500rds thru my 26. I have no idea how many my daughter put thru it when she carried it for a couple of years before I bought her a Shield..

I have never had a feed/eject issue with it. Same with any of the other 4 Glocks in the family.

I suggest you wait until this little ammo blip subsides as usual, then put some rounds thru it, before you try to "fix" something that's not broken or needs "improvement".
Old February 5, 2021, 02:19 PM   #48
Alan0354

Sadly GlockStore wrote back they don't have trigger housing for gen3 and gen4, so I cannot do anything now. they should not even take my order if they don't have stock.

I guess I have to try the Glock 26 as is. I am not going to go shoot with only the Apex extractor.
Old February 5, 2021, 03:10 PM   #49
L-2

For Post 48,
"Not for use in the Glock 26" from: https://www.apextactical.com/glock-f...ck_fit=gen-3-5

Apex Tactical doesn't recommend, and outright says not to use its extractor in a G26 (gen3 in this case).

For my G26gen3, the #336 ejector worked fine and the #30274 and #47021 ejectors didn't change this gun's ejection. I did have some casings eject to the left instead of the right, btw. I just didn't want casings ejecting directly into my head as my G17gen3 used to do. In the G17gen3 I had, the #30274 ejector did work, but the Apex Tac extractor did not work well (with or without substituting the EDP spring and non-LCI spring loaded bearing).

For my G17gen3, the ApexTac extractor intermittently caused the spent casing to be pulled above the ejector, yet stilled held by the extractor, which then caused a horizontal stovepipe situation (impossible to clear by merely swiping one's hand across the top of the slide as the stovepipe is all but flush with the top of the slide and there's now a double-feed situation). But this is all just old personal info and not particularly related to a G26gen3.

I'm actually carrying my G26gen3 today and it's worked fine with the stock 336 ejector, but I did try it for awhile with the 30274 ejector as I mentioned. Just be patient and the 9mm Gen4 trigger mechanism housing with ejector will eventually be back in stock somewhere.
Old February 5, 2021, 04:06 PM   #50
Alan0354

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
For Post 48,
"Not for use in the Glock 26" from: https://www.apextactical.com/glock-f...ck_fit=gen-3-5

Apex Tactical doesn't recommend, and outright says not to use its extractor in a G26 (gen3 in this case).

For my G26gen3, the #336 ejector worked fine and the #30274 and #47021 ejectors didn't change this gun's ejection. I did have some casings eject to the left instead of the right, btw. I just didn't want casings ejecting directly into my head as my G17gen3 used to do. In the G17gen3 I had, the #30274 ejector did work, but the Apex Tac extractor did not work well (with or without substituting the EDP spring and non-LCI spring loaded bearing).

For my G17gen3, the ApexTac extractor intermittently caused the spent casing to be pulled above the ejector, yet stilled held by the extractor, which then caused a horizontal stovepipe situation (impossible to clear by merely swiping one's hand across the top of the slide as the stovepipe is all but flush with the top of the slide and there's now a double-feed situation). But this is all just old personal info and not particularly related to a G26gen3.

I'm actually carrying my G26gen3 today and it's worked fine with the stock 336 ejector, but I did try it for awhile with the 30274 ejector as I mentioned. Just be patient and the 9mm Gen4 trigger mechanism housing with ejector will eventually be back in stock somewhere.
Thanks for letting me know, I contacted them and they are trying to cancel the order. I hope they can stop it on time.

Now back to square one!!!

Funny that I anticipate the gun itself is the hardest to get, it turned out I got the gun!!! Now everything else is not available.

I was also looking into reloading in another forum, then I found out, I cannot get the primmer and all. I said, well, I can still set up the press and all!!! Guess what, they are all OUT!!!

Well, I bought the gun.............As a toy gun now!!! Most expensive toy gun that looks like a real toy that look plastic!!!