The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old April 20, 2005, 06:34 PM   #1
kingknives

Ripped off on Gunbroker.....

This is a first for me. :fire:

To make a long story short, I purchased a Kel-Tec P32 HC from a guy on GB. After sending a Postal MO I have received no response from my e-mails and voice mail I have left. It has been 30 days this Saturday.

I have filed a mail fraud claim via USPS, and an Internet Fraud Claim via the FBI. I'll be filing a claim through GunBroker, but will only be getting $90 back after a $100 deductible

Here's the assbags info in case anyone else runs into this guy.....

Username: Ammomanusa

E-mail: [email protected]

Name: Micheal Sharland (also using the name Thomas Williams)

ADDRESS: 5733 Smoke Ranch Rd. Apt. C
Las Vegas, NV. 89108-3737

Phone: 702-646-5481

Stay away from this loser. And if you ever run into him, kick him in the nuts for me.

Thanks,

Joe
Old April 20, 2005, 08:27 PM   #2
TRMN8R

Quote:
Stay away from this loser. And if you ever run into him, kick him in the nuts for me.
Gladly, Joe .

After all, they say what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas !

Sorry to hear that happened to ya'. I know it doesn't help, but just be glad it was for a "cheap" gun, and not one of the more expensive "possibles" out there...yikes !

Good thing is you're clearly going about it the right way AND got the word out, hopefully before this jack-ass rips off someone else, so thanks for that, TRMN8R
A butt-load of P7's...
Old April 20, 2005, 08:37 PM   #3
Jart

Betcha Eric (Ammoman.com) wouldn't be at all happy with that guys "handle". IME Ammoman.com is at the top of the internet dealer "good guy" list.

Nothing like somebody with a similar dba name possibly screwing up a reputation that took years of great service to build up
Old April 20, 2005, 09:16 PM   #4
Vic303

Have you considered calling the BATFE? I bet they take an interest in someone claiming to sell firearms over the internet and then failing to deliver. Wonder if the guy is acting as a dealer without the appropriate FFL papers?
Old April 20, 2005, 09:37 PM   #5
thralduro

That would indeed place him in a vat of above average temperatured grease.

http://www.leaa.org/

http://www.nra.org/
Old April 20, 2005, 10:11 PM   #6
kingknives

Thanks for the advice gentlemen, I hadn't thought about the BATF.

Let me emphasize, that this is NOT the ammo dealer Ammoman!

I thought it was at first, in the back of my mind, that's why I jumped on the sale. Doh! My bad!!

I'm waiting for a copy of the cashed MO, then I'm going to file a police report.

thanks again
Old April 21, 2005, 06:21 AM   #7
Jart

Quote:
I thought it was at first, in the back of my mind, that's why I jumped on the sale.
That's exactly what I'm afraid others might do. The name is close enough that the guy is cashing in on Eric's good name.

Sorry about your experience - the ATF deal sounds like a plan.
Old April 21, 2005, 07:53 AM   #8
buzz_knox

Why, exactly, do you all think 1) ATFE will get involved and 2) it's a good idea to get them involved?

The seller hasn't violated any firearms laws because he hasn't made an illegal firearms transfer. He has committed fraud certainly, but there are other agencies who deal in this, not ATFE. Unless, you'd like ATFE to be given increased authority over it.

But hey, if you all want increased ATFE scrutiny of gunbroker and similar internet businesses, feel free. Just remember that what ATFE scrutinizes, they tend to call for increased regulation of.
Old April 21, 2005, 09:44 AM   #9
tjhands

That sucks, buddy. I got ripped off on ebay way back when. I bought a car stereo for $250 and never received it or any emails at all. I feel for ya.
Old April 21, 2005, 09:50 PM   #10
kingknives

Buzz is right (a little reactionary, but right nonetheless ) This really isn't BATF's jurisdiction, since the guy selling doesn't appear to be a dealer.

I'll call LVPD once I get the canceled check. I have all the receipts and e-mails.

I'll follow up to let you know how it goes.

Regards,

Joe
Old April 21, 2005, 10:50 PM   #11
kelsey

Its guys like this though that give us other online dealers a bad name. Just for reassurance, if you are going to do online sales and the guy claims to be an FFL Dealer, you can nail his butt to the wall for illegally trafficking firearms. Even accepting a payment under the ruse of being on is considered illegal and fraudulent. If the guy is a dealer, they must maintain records of all firearms accepted and sold at their facility. If you send a payment, but they don't send the gun, the ATF can definately investigate his records on your behalf.

I have had a couple of customers who purchased from a "dealer" online and used my FFL for the transfer. When the guns didn't arrive, I contacted my agent who in turn contacted a local area agent who investigated. The money was returned but not sure what happened to the guy.

Sorry about your raw deal.

Kelsey
www.luvtohunt.com
Old April 22, 2005, 03:59 PM   #12
kingknives

Thanks Kelsey,
I'm an FFL, but this guy was not (emphasized in his ad) so it was a private sale.

If he had passed himself off as a dealer I'd have had BATFE all over his ass.
Old April 22, 2005, 11:57 PM   #13
tom650604

You can always have the local PD track his ISP # for his computer.
Old September 4, 2005, 02:47 AM   #14
Charlemagne

boy do I feel stupid

I just got taken in by the same guy...a week ago. I just did a search for his address through Yahoo, (one week too late) and found this thread. Here is the person, as I dealt with him:

[email protected]

Monesha Car was the name used by him

http://geocities.com/dvdgreenblatt/gunsale.htm was the address where I found the guns I wanted from him

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/STONYC...-9/message/569 is the forum where I found a link to his site

Man, do I feel stupid
Old September 4, 2005, 03:03 AM   #15
Charlemagne

Oh yes...If I'm not mistaken, you need to use ID to cash a Postal Money order. If the same person that Ripped off kingknives used one ID, and then used another ID for the money order I sent, would that also not constitue a fairly serious kind of fraud?
Old September 4, 2005, 12:04 PM   #16
aspen1964

Has this guy disappeared from Gunbroker or is he still selling-buying???
Old September 4, 2005, 07:17 PM   #17
auberg

It seems to me that I have seen a message here about this guy before. Does anyone remember a post probably about 6 months ago? As I remember there was the sale of a revolver involved.

I hope you get your money back, and shut this guy down.
Old September 5, 2005, 07:29 AM   #18
birddog1

Just out of curiosity, I emailed this guy last night asking about the Glock he has listed asking if he's firm on the price. He emailed back this morning saying to make an offer. I emailed asking for a phone number to discuss, we'll see what happens.
Old September 6, 2005, 01:17 PM   #19
wun_8_seven

hi my brother is gary@r&g on this board and thr, he was taken by this same guy using the name monesha carr on guns america. he contacted the postal inspector here in oklahoma and was told to contact the postal inspector in las vegas. 187
Old September 6, 2005, 02:06 PM   #20
birddog1

Well, I have not gotten a response from him since I asked for a phone number.
Old September 6, 2005, 02:13 PM   #21
gary@r&g

Thief on GB and GA

Monehsa or whoever they are got me for $675 on a LW Commander. I have started the wheels rolling on a federal investigation. I wouldnt mind going to Vegas to see this person answer to a grand jury. I do contract work for the postal inspectors and they have promised to help.

Everyone who has been ripped off by him report it to the local authorities. Email me your name and contact info as well as a brief description of what occurred and I will make sure the Postal inspector in Vegas has it.

[email protected]

Gary
Old September 6, 2005, 05:28 PM   #22
gary@r&g

fraud

everyone needs to go to www.usps.com . go to the bottom of the page and click on postal inspectors. then go to "file a mail fraud complaint". I have initiated it with my local postal inspectors but they should cross reference from the address and name info.

Good luck!!
Old September 7, 2005, 01:55 AM   #23
jeff_troop

+1........ atf couldn't care less. guy didnt break any firearms laws. postmaster general is your best shot. and they will follow up, they love this stuff.
Old September 7, 2005, 09:25 AM   #24
RWK

FWIW, I just sent Eric -- the real "Ammoman" -- an e-mail alert that this was happening.
Old September 7, 2005, 03:10 PM   #25
RWK

For info, I received a very friendly, prompt and thorough reply from Eric. He is aware of this situation and, unfortunately, it is not the first time some disreputable person or enterprise has attempted to co-opt his "good name".