The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 29, 2018, 02:51 PM   #51
WhyteP38

Bought a stainless steel Mini 30 some 14-15 years ago. Put a synthetic stock on it shortly after I bought it. After reading this thread, about all I can add is the following:

My older-model Mini 30 feels good in my hands. I used to shoot target clays (mounted vertically) at 100 yards with Russian ammo and consistently hit them. Had about 20% of Wolf ammo not go bang the first trip through the chamber; second trip set them off. Silver Bear always went bang first time around. Never worried about rust; still haven't seen any. Ruger 20-round mags always functioned perfectly. Experimented with several non-OEM 10-round mag brands as Ruger didn't make any (at least not back then). For me, they all were horrible except for the "American" brand ones made in stainless steel. I have five of those that have always functioned perfectly.

I haven't used the Mini 30 much since I started shooting ARs. I have built and completely disassembled ARs (right down to removing the takedown pins and springs) in several configurations. On the rare occasions when I've had problems with them, I've done my own repairs and modifications. Can't do that with my Mini.

Bottom line: Mini's and ARs are different enough to make direct comparisons problematic. For me, my Mini has a place. It's not as big a place as my ARs, but I don't plan to get rid of it.
Old April 29, 2018, 03:03 PM   #52
Dragline45

Had a Mini 14 for a short while though I had constant problems with it. While the rifle was very reliable and accurate, it had 2 separate trips back to Ruger. First time the firing pin hole was flaring out and my extractor was being chewed up. Got it back with a brand new bolt and after 200 rds my firing pin broke. Did some research and broken firing pins is a fairly common problem that Ruger cant seem to figure out, and to make matters worse you cant replace the part yourself it requires a trip back to Ruger to fit a new firing pin. Decided it’s a rifle I cant trust for anything more than a range toy and sold it. Reminded me why I paid a premium for my BCM AR’s.
Old April 29, 2018, 03:54 PM   #53
Neal_G.

I'm a fan of the Mini series, they handle great and anything related to the M1/M14 series is cool.

However, they are WAY overpriced! There is no way a Mini-14 should cost more than an M&P Sport II or comparable AR. There's just not much to the Mini, and most of it cast parts or composite. That and the proprietary magazines keeps it second tier to me.
Old April 29, 2018, 04:13 PM   #54
rickyrick

I don’t think 700$ for a semi auto rifle is that bad, when many pistols are close in price. There’s only been a gradual increase in price over the years.
It’s ready to fire right out of the box, it comes with sights, a magazine and if you want to scope it, it comes with rings. The ruger mags will last forever and I’ve never had a problem with pro mags.
I can say that I don’t like the rock-in style of magazine insertion.

If I wanted another Mini14, I wouldn’t go pricing ARs as they are completely different rifles.
People buy them at the current prices and always have. I don’t see any reason to discount them.

The best part about them is the fact that they aren’t ARs.
Old April 29, 2018, 04:27 PM   #55
Targa

Well put Ricky.
Old April 29, 2018, 07:17 PM   #56
riffraff

Guys I just wanted to say by all means carry on but thank you very much for all the feedback - very excited about getting a mini, not sure where I'm going to prioritize it in my gun purchases but it's in the top 3 for sure and thinking I'll go for the 7.62X39 version first.