The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 7, 2014, 05:07 AM   #51
Brit

When wearing/carrying a firearm, for the first time, it seems like a full sized brick! In weight, and shape! At one time, I thought about printing, Florida does not have that worry, law.

If carrying for self defense, we all do, yes? Forget the .45 on Monday, .380 in the pocket on Saturday, 9mm in a shoulder holster going to the movies, on Wednesday!

My advice, same gun, same place, spare magazine (more for malfunction reasons, than an extra 17 rounds!) 20 plus ounces of pistol, needs a good belt!

Wilderness, frequent flier belt, weighs nothing, no metal, 1.5" wide. My Choice, Glock 19 in 9mm, same pistol in IDPA completion, as carry.

IDPA competition once a month, 150 rounds, 8 stages, and again, same gun, same place.

Bid advantage, being retired!
Old August 7, 2014, 12:14 PM   #52
alex78

my rules of carry.

Brit,
I omitted perhaps the most important rule, AWARENESS. Be aware of your surrounding and people around you. After a while this becomes second nature.
Old August 7, 2014, 05:06 PM   #53
DannyB1954

Stay aware of your surroundings. Most people are caught by surprise because they were not paying attention to those around them.

As a test, think back to a couple of hours ago. Were you in a room with strangers in it? About how many were there? Where there more men than women, more younger than older? If you don't have a clue, you were probably not in a good position to deal with an unexpected problem if it had happened.
Old August 10, 2014, 06:22 AM   #54
Brit

Danny,

Friday evening, picked up two friend's, Man and Wife, they have lived were they live now for 20 years, destination, an Italian Restaurant.

Met two friends of theirs.

Now 3 couples, the place was full, when our table was ready, the best place at the table, in my estimation, was facing the entrance, I selected that seat at the booth, 3 and 3. My Wife along my left side.

The only chance of defending against any threat, was one from the street!

The owner, a Sicilian! A friend of our friends, joined us at the end of the table, close to me! For around 15 minutes, we chatted. I got the impression we had no worries here!

Reference total view of the room? Not so much.
Old September 14, 2014, 01:57 PM   #55
Brit

Alex 78,

I omitted awareness, I had that in spades, long before I carried a pistol!

Still there, gun or no gun.
Old December 22, 2014, 07:59 AM   #56
DubbytheGreat

So many people seem to have issues with concealment, it's truly mind boggling to me. I am 6'1 200lbs (I guess kind of large) but I carry a p30 in a crossbreed super tuck holster and it works with literally anything I wear which is mostly jeans and a t-shirt. I even wear it to the dog beach in my board shorts with no belt. I'm in central florida and I sweat more than the average man. The horse hide holster seems to help with that a lot btw
Old December 22, 2014, 08:08 AM   #57
DubbytheGreat

Looking back at what I said, I don't believe us concealed carriers have a problem with concealment.

I believe we THINK that we have an issue when there isn't one.

But worrying about things like this before they happen, shows that you will probably be a responsible ccw'er
Old December 23, 2014, 09:21 AM   #58
TimSr

When I started carrying, I thought I was the only guy in a big store who was armed. Then I started looking for guns on others. I was truly amazed at how many people carry concealed that I had never noticed before because I was not looking for them.

I have since concluded that even if you do a poor job of concealing your weapon, few peopel will even notice unless they are actually looking for it on you.

I'll add one thing about practicing. Very important to practice from an in the holster concealed draw, and to find your acceptable accuracy rate of rapid fire. The first time I was practicing quick draw on my rig, (clip onto belt) the holster came off my belt with the gun inside it. Worked fine when drawing unrushed. The gun was sticking to the holster padding material inside. A few shots of silicon spray fixed it.
Old December 23, 2014, 09:28 PM   #59
DannyB1954

Everyone likes the idea of being able to save someone else. This is not your responsibility. When I took my CCW class, the instructor gave the following scenario. You are shopping in a mall and hear gun fire. You are near an exit, what do you do?
The answer is leave if you can. Everyone being shot at had the opportunity to get their own CCW for self protection, but they chose to have the Police protect them instead. What if a bullet from your gun bounces around and strikes an innocent person? The law does not hold you harmless for what your bullet does. The victim or their family may sue you stating that you caused them harm. Maybe the person you shoot turns out to be a plain clothes cop who is shooting at the bad guy that you do not see. The responding Officers are not going to see you as the good guy, only someone who is shooting at people. Is your family going to be better off with you dead?

Here in Las Vegas, a crazy guy killed two officers while they ate lunch. The bad guy ran into a store across the street. When the bad guy shot his gun into the air and told everybody to leave, a man with a CCW confronted him. The bad guy had a girlfriend who shot and killed the man with a CCW.
The news portrayed the killed Officers as heroes, and the man with a CCW as someone who should have minded their own business. The family of the Officers are covered for life with benefits. Where is the family of the CCW guy going to get help?

Last edited by DannyB1954; December 23, 2014 at 09:55 PM.
Old December 24, 2014, 04:33 PM   #60
Kevin Rohrer

Get some decent training before you start carrying it.

Just cover it with a loose shirt.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old December 29, 2014, 07:29 PM   #61
pathdoc

Quote:
I would like to modify this advice:

1. Don't draw unless you are in danger of grievous bodily harm to you or someone you want to defend. You do not have to use it (fire) as you can deter in some cases. You should train to know when to do this or not.
2. You do not plan to kill the BG but to stop the aggressor.
The first point is well made. The second point is true legally, but I think what Goatwhiskers was trying to get across is that one may find oneself obliged by the circumstances to fire, and in delivering that legally justified stopping shot (meaning "as many discharges of the firearm as are necessary to end the threat"), you must factor in the reasonably high possibility of causing your attacker's death. And if you can't deal with that on the intellectual, the moral and (where applicable) the spiritual level, don't draw.

I once saw it stated in print as "Draw your gun, go to jail." By no means always, and the author made it clear there were exceptions, but I think he wanted to make it perfectly clear to the new CCW carrier just how grave the situation had to be before they should consider unholstering their firearm.
Old January 3, 2015, 11:21 AM   #62
toddster

beginner

I see four common things students and newbjes do. 1) cheap holster, buy a quality holster, it will eliminate alot of sight and feel, 2) belt, you want a quality gun belt to help hold and dispers the weight, 3) touching, 1 &2 will help, leave it alone. 4) take more training, getting your ccl is the lid of paint can, there is a lot to it, fyi that you tube video will not testify why you did what you done.