The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 6, 2015, 01:43 PM   #1
Kimio

Lazerlyte training, worth the price?

As a relatively young bloke, making it out to the range and being able to have enough $$$ to fund a constant supply of ammunition can be.. problematic at times.

I'm considering investing in one of these lazerlyte things to help me practice with dry fire drills at home.

Currently I practice by aiming at a paper target taped to the wall at various points around the house.

For those who have bit the bullet (pun intended) on these, do you find them worth it? I was planning on getting the targeting system thar shows where your shots are as well as the reactive cans as well.

I figured it may also serve as a good way to introduce new shooters to handguns and rifles as well as overall safety and manual of arms for the gun without the noise and distractions thar come with taking them to the range.

It's a pretty steep investment, but if it will help me train while at home, I'd be more than willing to drop the cash on it.

EDIT: To specify, these are the items I'm looking at investing in.

http://www.amazon.com/Laserlyte-Lase...ords=laserlyte

http://www.amazon.com/LaserLyte-TLB-...ords=laserlyte

Last edited by Kimio; February 7, 2015 at 07:40 PM.
Old February 7, 2015, 09:37 AM   #2
g.willikers

I have an early version around here, somewhere.
But I much prefer a modern, recoiling (blowback version) CO2 powered air gun replica of my "real" gun.
Far less cost and very effective as a training tool.
Old February 7, 2015, 01:05 PM   #3
jmhyer

No experience here, but this is on my list to get. I guess nobody else here has experience with it either.

My plan would be to use it to improve my draw-from-concealed-and-get-that-first-shot-on-target time.
Old February 7, 2015, 03:00 PM   #4
phwe9774

We used them in the military. They helped, but even the CO2 blowback version can't replace live ammo. I felt it was a waste of time for me since I typically go to the range at least once a week. However, I did see it help some people in my time as a line coach. So I think it depends on your experience level with firearms
Old February 7, 2015, 03:52 PM   #5
jmhyer

It also depends on what type range you go to. Drawing and firing rapidly from concealment is against many ranges' rules.
Old February 7, 2015, 05:39 PM   #6
turkeestalker

First hand experience...

Has not been all that consistent. I purchased one that looks just like the Laserlyte Trainer Pistol Universal a couple of years back.

http://www.laserlyte.com/products/trainer-lt-pro

It does function, but not all the time. Sometimes the light is bright and crisp, sometimes it is dim and barely visible and it is not dependent upon the battery strength. It just seems to have a mind of it's own. Not sure what to say beyond that.
I got mine on eBay for around $80 when I bought it. It does chew up those tiny batteries pretty quickly. It is too long to use in some snub nose revolvers. The clicking of the action on a double action revolver will cause it to light before the actual moment when the hammer falls, so count on using it as a single action. It will not fit into a .32 caliber bore so I would guess that .38/.357 is as small as it will go, at least with mine and like I said it is a couple years old.
Beyond that, when it does work it works well and I do believe it can show an individual where they may be making mistakes in trigger manipulation and such. It will also help a person learn to point and shoot or at least if they are pointing and shooting effectively without using the sights.
The cans could make it more fun I would guess, but I never gave the target a second thought considering the cost. I simply would point at a door knob, center of the clock on the mantel, an item on the desk, what have you when it works.
Perhaps todays product is more reliable than mine.
Old February 7, 2015, 07:41 PM   #7
Kimio

Added some links of what I'm looking at purchasing.
Old February 7, 2015, 08:27 PM   #8
ATW525

My experience with the LT-Pro is similar to turkeestalker's. It's nice when it works, but unreliable in operation. Practice from the holster was especially bad, because the unit almost never worked on the first shot after the draw.

I bought the laser target that shows the hits at the same time. It was also nice, until it fell over one day and stopped working. In hind sight, though, I don't think it really added a whole lot to the experience.

I think lasers for training are great, but I personally wouldn't purchase another LaserLyte product.
Old February 7, 2015, 08:40 PM   #9
hartcreek

You would be just as well off with an old Nintendo playing Duck Hunt. The only purpose I can see for them is at a range that trains virgin shooters.
Old February 7, 2015, 09:44 PM   #10
turkeestalker

Kimio, I actually own two of those as well that I bought sometime before the one I had the link to in my first response. I would not advise spending the money on them. They were only 50% as reliable as the other which put them well below par for being very usable. I bought one in .40 and one in .45 and both were about the same. Perhaps someone here had better luck, but I'm skeptical.

Quote:
You would be just as well off with an old Nintendo playing Duck Hunt. The only purpose I can see for them is at a range that trains virgin shooters
I can understand your perspective, but I do disagree. The one thing that it did for my better half is show her how she was actually pulling the pistol off mark with her trigger pull, very definitively. The laser would illuminate long enough to show an actual circle rather than a dot. She was able to adjust her grip and the amount of finger that she had on the trigger and correct the problem. She could have corrected it without the device, but the device proved to her what I was telling her that she was doing wrong. Me telling her didn't cut it, she had to see it for herself and then she accepted it. I don't know if that is a 'woman' thing, or due to being born and bred in the 'show me' state. I also believe that when it's functioning correctly, it very much helps a person to hone a shooting skill more fitting a real SD situation. One where you do not have the time and perhaps not even the motor skills or thought to actually look down your barrel and use your sights much less any laser grip or what not. That of course is only my opinion.

Last edited by turkeestalker; February 8, 2015 at 05:51 AM.
Old February 7, 2015, 10:04 PM   #11
db4570

I got one a couple weeks ago and really like it. It is great to be able to shoot hundreds of shots every night before bed from the comfort of my basement at no cost.

I think it's a great tool for developing positive muscle memory drawing from a holster.

Being a cheapskate, I bought just the cartridge for about $80 on Amazon. I shoot it at a plain paper target. I set my camera on video and record the shots to review, but I can see pretty well where I am hitting as I shoot.

Mine has worked flawlessly. The aim is off, but consistent. If you rotate the cartridge in the chamber you can tweak the aim.

No, it's not the same as live rounds but is still great practice.

David