The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old September 20, 2010, 06:21 AM   #51
Uncle Buck

Quote:
I was under the impression that one of the rules on this forum is not to promote illegal activity.

Telling anyone to keep quiet about an illegal firearm does promote an illegal activity.
This statement that I made was in consideration of the "Shoot it - just don't tell anyone" crowd.

As far as stripping the gun and turning in the receiver, I have no problem with that. What I do have a problem with is people advocating (Especially to a new member who really does not know) breaking the law.
Old September 20, 2010, 07:52 AM   #52
Skans

Quote:
Okay, completely leaving aside the fact that only half your list is remotely accurate... what's your point? That some people in politics commit crimes,
My point in listing a few politicians that are crooks just goes to show that it is not "nutty" to think that your politicians are criminals. Many are. And, although I tend to think there are more criminals in one party than the other - they both have their share of criminals and perverts.

There are two types of people that become politicians - those that are in love with power, status, and money; and those that honestly want to change something they find repugnant about the political establishment. Unfortunately the latter are about as rare and elusive as sasquatch.
Old September 20, 2010, 02:20 PM   #53
RJay

Why is this subject rehashed over and over again? The answer is no, any way you want to slice and dice it. I can't change the laws, you can't change the laws, the law is not going to be changed. FWIW if someone brought a fully auto AK 47 from Nam, it was an illegal act. Any war time AK , had to be deactivated prior to being a war souvenir. When the army got done deactivating it, believe me it would never shoot again, even semi auto. I don't want to hurt any ones feelings , but only an idiot would keep arguing the point.
Old September 20, 2010, 04:38 PM   #54
ADB

Quote:
Does the gun store have to run the firearm's numbers to buy the gun, and would the gun even be marked in english characters?
This is a good point that I hadn't thought of. Like I said, this scenario really IS hypothetical--it was inspired by an anecdote I heard from a friend about the friend of a relative of his. I actually have no idea how it turned out, but was curious what would happen to someone who was ignorantly in that situation.

Quote:
My point in listing a few politicians that are crooks just goes to show that it is not "nutty" to think that your politicians are criminals.
So power corrupts some people. Okay. But it IS nutty to extend that into a giant overarching conspiracy to "oppress those who yearn to breathe free."
Old September 20, 2010, 06:03 PM   #55
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
He did not know what happened to them, but it wasn't up to the combat troops or the commanders how to dispose of these weapons. Nagants, on the other hand....tons of them came back - along with Enfields and even a few Springfields he remembers seeing, along with all kinds of other semi-auto, never full-auto, weapons.
Two things played greatly into this.

The first is the National Firearms Act of 1934. This required specific paperwork and paying a $200 tax for a civilian to own a machinegun. Not too many vets returning from WWII cared for the paperwork or could spare the $200. They brought these guns back, but never registered them. Over the years, they have been destroyed or confiscated. Many were registered during a machinegun amnesty in 1968. They still turn up today, as this thread implies.

The second thing was the 1968 Gun Control Act. This law required that imported firearms for civilians be considered "sporting". No more machinegun imports for the peasant class, including war trophies.

NRA Life Member
Old September 22, 2010, 08:19 PM   #56
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Enough of this

All the answers have already been posted. Rehashing them over and over is profitless.

CLOSED
Closed Thread