The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 22, 2000, 08:35 PM   #1
The_Huntman

Hello all, I am looking to start reloading but have two general questions. I would like to reload only the .45 ACP as that is all that I shoot so I was going to get the Dillion SBD. I know the disadavantes since I have been looking through the old posts, but it seems of very good quality and about the price I would like to spend. Plus I am only interested in the .45 ACP for reloading.

Question 1 is what else will I need and approximate cost? Question 2 is once I have all the necessary equipment what is the cost per bullet to reload?

Thanks so much,

Hunter
Old December 22, 2000, 09:33 PM   #2
Doug 29

.45 ACP cost

Using lead bullets, figure .05 for the bullet, plus .02 for powder and primer. $3.50 per box of 50. The nice part is being able to tailor the load to your gun for accuracy, as well as shoot a LOT more. For self-defense, I personally go with factory loads (230 gr. Golden Sabre.).
Old December 22, 2000, 09:40 PM   #3
The_Huntman

Thanks for the answer to the cost question. That is alot better than the $12.00 per box that I pay at the range. As for the other question what other equipment will need besides the Dillion SBD? I would think that I would reload a couple hundred rounds each session.
Old December 22, 2000, 10:04 PM   #4
Coolray

You might want to look at the Lee turret press in .45ACP or the deluxe pistol kit from http://www.fmreloading.com at $88 delivered all you need is the dies.
Old December 22, 2000, 10:39 PM   #5
tawakoni

Welcome, Huntman. It's always nice to see someone joining the reloading fraternity/sorority. Like you, I got my first Dillon strictly for .45ACP. Been reloading since '64 but I wanted a good progressive because I needed A LOT of .45s in a short time. I got an SDB in '90 and I still crank out at least 500/week. The customer service at Dillon is second to none. Some other things you will need in addition to the Dillon:

A quality scale. A set of 'check weights' would be nice.

A primer-flipper tray.

Dial Calipers.

Most importantly, one or more reloading manuals like Speer and/or Lyman. They have chapters for beginners. After you have read them, read them again.

A tumbler is nice to have but not required. I got my first tumbler when I got the SDB and wouldn't reload without one (I use all the range brass I can find). Bins, boxes and GI ammo cans are things you will acquire over time and wonder how you ever got along without them.

Don't plan on really saving money by reloading. Just plan on shooting a lot more for what you are spending. If you haven't already, check out Dillon's website: http://www.dillonprecision.com

Best wishes,

tawakoni

I don't know if I reload because I like to shoot, or I shoot because I like to reload...
Old December 22, 2000, 10:51 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

You can find a lot of good used stuff at gunshows. The only new item I consider a must for the ACP is a carbide resizing die. (Dies for rifle cartridges need not be carbide.)

Sooner or later you'll get into other cartridges for reloading. If rifle, there are various tweaky gadgets which make life easier; case-mouth reamer and primer-pocket clean-out tool, for instance.

I've owned new scales and I bought my Dillon progressive new. Most of the other stuff was used when I got it, including two RCBS "O" presses and a "C" press. I have dies which were not new when I got them in 1950, and they still work just fine.

FWIW, Art
Old December 23, 2000, 12:30 PM   #7
The_Huntman

Thanks for all the input from everybody. I was wondering what people thought of the Lee Deluxe Pistol Reloading kit? Will it work OK for my application or is the Dillion SBD going to be much faster and easier?

Hunter
Old December 23, 2000, 05:13 PM   #8
Steve Smith

Huntman, you may want to take a look at Ebay. An auction is closing tomorrow on a dillon 550B with a PACT scale, some dies (.45 acp I think) and more. It is selling for $405 right now. No matter what you buy, welcome to the fraternity! BTW, buy Dillon!
Old December 23, 2000, 08:16 PM   #9
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Whatever you buy huntman make sure it can be upgraded to different calibers. I can promise you once the bug bites you stay bitten and sooner or later another firearm will come along and............... .