The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 12, 2012, 02:32 AM   #1
samsmix

What IS a trail gun?

I put this in the revolver forum because most trail guns are revolvers.

My question is WHAT THE CRAP IS A "Trail Gun" in the first place. The term is so broadly generic as to have no meaning whatsoever. If I am out on the prairie then a .22 is a trail gun. In Alaska it's a .500 S&W. In California I'll take a Hi-cap auto or a .357 mag. But these are specific tools for specific jobs/threats.

I am constantly hearing of things like .38's & .32-20s described as "not potent enough for hunting, but it's a good 'trail gun'"

I think I have narrowed the term down to meaning: 1) n. Any pistol in any caliber that is fairly light, and will kill a rabbit or snake, while being completely useless for any other purpose except perhaps (or not) self defense against humans. 2) n Any hand gun you brought into the woods that you had no business being in the woods with. 3) n Any pistol of any kind that one could in fact carry into the woods, whether it's any good for the job at hand or not, as long as it goes "BANG!".

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old August 12, 2012, 02:44 AM   #2
lefteyedom

Trail gun... depends on the trail

I finished hiking the Appalachian Trail this summer. For me on that trail it was Kel-tec P3 380. Very light, small, carried it 24/7. I did not worry about bears (saw 3) Snakes , stray dogs, or moose. I only worried about human and only then when I was on the ground in my tent. I never pulled, but more than a few times my hiking partner was glad that we where armed...

They creature that caused us the most trouble? Mice... go figure
Old August 12, 2012, 02:48 AM   #3
mattleegee

i would say something light, that you would pack as if you didnt really need it
....mostly something for noise
Old August 12, 2012, 08:12 AM   #4
dahermit

Quote:
The term is so broadly generic as to have no meaning whatsoever.
Exactly! Ambiguous. A trail gun in the context of bear country is very different from a trail gun in the context of who I might meet on a trail. The same as a "camp gun"...bump in the night, or tasty squirrel stew. If one is going to use those terms, please give the context of what you think you may need that type of gun for.
Old August 12, 2012, 08:28 AM   #5
kraigwy

I think the definition of a trail gun is a little more complicated then that.

Trail Gun: Gun you carry on the trail, as in hiking, fishing, horseback riding, camping, etc. etc.

Which Type of Trail Gun; That would be up to the individuals needs and opinions based on his experience and background.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 12, 2012, 08:37 AM   #6
sheepman

Guss I am guilty of using the term woods gun, to me its handy enough to be carried discretely and big enough to handle any thing I may have to shoot. In the desert it would be a 22 and in bear county a 45 colt or 44 mag.
Old August 12, 2012, 08:49 AM   #7
Pointshoot

I love the idea of the 'trail gun' or 'perfect packing pistol' because I love being in the outdoors ! Contemplating/discussing this topic gives me something to ponder between outings.

Everyone's idea will depend on their own circumstances and where they are located. To me a 'trail gun' will be one able to deal with any two or four legged potential threat in the area. For me, most of the time, that is bad guys, mountain lion, and black bear - - - but am sometimes in griz country and use a heavier piece when there. It will be a gun that I could also, if push comes to shove, use to provide food if I found myself in a survival situation. (I carry some cartridges suitable for this purpose). I like this gun to be just plain fun to shoot if I find myself in an area where I can do that. Depending on what activities I'm doing & other gear I'm carrying, the weight of the gun will be a consideration too. I generally prefer a 4" barrel gun for general use, including trail guns. To me its a good compromise between sight radius, a little less muzzle blast, balance, and quickness into action.

I've used various guns as 'trail guns' including S&W Mountain Gun in 45 Colt, S&W 329PD lightweight 44 Mag (mainly loaded with 44 Specials), Taurus Titanium 41 Mag Tracker, Glock 20sf 10mm, Ruger Redhawk 4.2" barrel in 45 Colt and in 44 Mag. (And even carried a S&W 317 super lightweight J-frame .22 kit gun while carrying another bigger bore - that thing is so light you can wear it around your neck on a lanyard !)

Last edited by Pointshoot; August 12, 2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old August 12, 2012, 08:57 AM   #8
jmortimer

Depends on where you live and where you go. General all around woods gun in "safe" area (No big bears or meth labs or pot farms) then .22. Area with meth labs, pot farms, and no big bears, then any semi-auto normally carried for self-protection would work. Area with big bears, then as big a caliber as you care to carry, the bigger the better. "Woods gun" or "trail gun" or even "kit gun" - it all depends on the circumstances. Many would just pick a
Old August 12, 2012, 09:17 AM   #9
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
The term is so broadly generic as to have no meaning whatsoever.
No more so than Home Defense gun, or Self Defense gun, IMO...

For me a trail gun is the one I may take with me when going into the wilds, based on the likely threats, however unlikely they may be.
In that respect it happens to be a revolver...
Old August 12, 2012, 09:29 AM   #10
Pointshoot

I suspect that some of these categories may have come from guys trying to justify a new purchase to themselves, or get it pass their wives - - -

"Honey, yes I have a 'self defense gun' - - but we really need a 'home defense gun' and I need a 'trail gun' when I go hunting with the guys."
Old August 12, 2012, 09:50 AM   #11
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
trying to justify a new purchase to themselves, or get it pass their wives
And it's been working beautifully for me these last 12 months!!
Old August 12, 2012, 10:09 AM   #12
PetahW

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsmix

My question is WHAT THE CRAP IS A "Trail Gun" in the first place.
If it needs explaination, you'll never understand;

If you understand, there's no need for explaination. .

Old August 12, 2012, 10:25 AM   #13
samsmix

I understand that some pistols pack easier than others, and so some guns are purely hunting guns. I've packed a 9mm in black bear country because my .44 was too heavy. I guess what gets to me is when you hear questions like this:
"What would be a better trail gun, Caliber A, or Caliber B?"

Now just how can anybody answer that question without knowing what trails the poster might follow?

Old August 12, 2012, 10:30 AM   #14
Patrice

Yeah, as others' have said it depends on the trail & what might cross one's path.

[Hhmmm...High capacity in California= 10 rounds (or maybe 10+1...don't know how picky they are)].
--Patrice
Old August 12, 2012, 10:59 AM   #15
Pointshoot

"I understand that some pistols pack easier than others, and so some guns are purely hunting guns. I've packed a 9mm in black bear country because my .44 was too heavy. I guess what gets to me is when you hear questions like this:
"What would be a better trail gun, Caliber A, or Caliber B?" " - -

samsmix - - - given your situation, you'll just 'need' to get a dedicated 'lighter weight black bear defense gun' to adequately replace your 44 Mag versus that puny 9mm. Might want to check out the Glock 20 (or 20sf) in 10mm.

If you need to justify the purchase to some female family member - - let her know that black bears will turn you into hamburger if youre not adequately protected.

So now you have an excuse to buy another gun !

P.S. - - actually the Glock 10mm does make a great outdoorsmans gun. I sometime carry mine when bowhunting for elk and deer. 16rds of 10mm goodness readily available and a spare mag.

Last edited by Pointshoot; August 12, 2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old August 12, 2012, 11:06 AM   #16
BlueTrain

It's like a kit gun, only less so.
Buy War Bonds.
Old August 12, 2012, 12:22 PM   #17
Water-Man

It's my GP-100 .357Mag.
Old August 12, 2012, 01:07 PM   #18
samsmix

I use my GP-100, for a bear defense gun, my .22 mag or .38 for snake guns, My .38 or .380 for Personal Protection guns, and a titanium .44 mag would be a good backpacking gun....And I define them as such, but none are specifically "Trail Guns".

The sackful of non-answers I am getting has me pretty well convinced that I am just about right...

...either that or there are only two kinds of "trail guns": Plinkers and pistols that will topple a grizzly. Both can be used on humans, and anything in between is just fluff.

I am not currently married, so I do not have to justify purchases to anyone.

Old August 12, 2012, 02:58 PM   #19
Cemo

For me, a Ruger SP101 .357.
Old August 12, 2012, 04:15 PM   #20
Water-Man

samsmix,

It's a shame you're not satisfied with the "sackful of non-answers" you received from us. Maybe next time you'll get better answers by not asking questions in such a crude manner "WHAT THE CRAP IS A".

BTW, you may want to change your Profile Biography.

W-M
Old August 12, 2012, 06:50 PM   #21
badge851

For me, a "Trail Gun" is a light REVOLVER, easy to pack, in a CALIBER large enough to handle; the LARGEST, HEAVIEST, MEANEST, THREAT. In my state (WA), we have a large population of Black Bear and Cougar. When I am tramping the woods and rain forests of the Pacific North West; my trail gun is a 35.4oz (unloaded weight) 41 RemingtonĀ® Magnum.

(Just my $0.02.)
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Last edited by badge851; August 13, 2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old August 12, 2012, 07:38 PM   #22
tulsamal

You live in the city. You carry a 9mm all day with a CCW. It's a self defense gun.

You live in a more rural area and carry a .357 with a CCW when you drive to town in your pickup. It's still a self defense gun.

So just because you decide to go walking around in the woods with a gun and you want to carry a gun to protect yourself... it's still a self protection gun. Maybe you decide you want to "upgrade" to a .44 Magnum because you are worried about bears or something but it is still a self defense gun. You carry a self defense gun every day of your life.

On the other hand, you are going for a walk in the woods. A nice relaxing hike down by a creek. And you are going to carry your self defense handgun with you because... well, you always do. But you don't expect to actually shoot it. It's your "In the Gravest Extreme" gun. Not a recreational gun. Your trail gun is something that is actually to be used on the hike. As a part of the woods walk. When I think of a "woods gun," I expect to return to home with a gun that actually has been fired. Quite a few times. Maybe even a few hundred times if it was a really good hike!

A woods gun is a Ruger Bearcat. Or a S&W M63 with a four inch barrel. Maybe a Ruger Auto with fixed sights. Nothing with a bull barrel or that weighs too much. We want something light that we can carry around all day. (We are already carrying that CCW gun plus whatever hiking gear we have. Or fishing equipment, whatever.) I like to grab the Ruger Bearcat and three or four 50 round boxes of .22's and take it wherever I go. If the fishing doesn't pan out or the walk ends up in just the right place, I can sit down and have a fun plinking session. Nothing more fun than trying to hit "that little white rock way over there on the edge of the water." I'm not going to do that with most of my "serious guns." Not more than a few rounds anyway.

That's the difference between a woods gun and a self protection gun.

Gregg
Old August 12, 2012, 09:55 PM   #23
treg

Trail gun = flavor of the day.
Old August 12, 2012, 10:09 PM   #24
spaniel

"I am not currently married, so I do not have to justify purchases to anyone."

Considering your Biography, it is either outdated or you are lying to troll?

A trail gun is one light/handy enough to always have on you on the trail and (hopefully) sufficient for whatever purpose you plan to need it for on the trail. For some that is hunting, shooting varmits or small game....for others predator defense.
Old August 13, 2012, 08:55 AM   #25
dahermit

Quote:
Considering your Biography, it is either outdated or you are lying to troll?
leave him alone. He started an interesting debate. Troll= someone who posts something that sparks meaningful responses? He was only pointing out that a common term was ambiguous.