The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 30, 2000, 08:57 PM   #1
Havoc

I recently discovered "Laser Blaster" a dry fire training device. Never seen such a device before and was wondering what the general concensus was. Do they work? Are they worth it?
Old April 18, 2005, 02:40 PM   #2
IronGeek

Laser Blaster

I'm curious about this product too. Doesn't seem like it would work for a revolver, though. Unless, that is, there was some sort of special dummy cartridge to transfer the force of the hammer through the cylinder and into the laser emitter device.

In any case, it seems like a good dry-fire tool. Doesn't anyone have experience with it?

S&W M19-3 .357 4"
Old April 18, 2005, 08:09 PM   #3
MartinR

No direct experience, but a friend of mine, D. R. Middlebrooks, highly recommends them for practice.

from his forums:
http://www.tacticalshooting.com/foru...hread.php?t=19
Old April 19, 2005, 09:53 AM   #4
skidmark

Location: Richmond VA - home of a street full of second-place trophies.
LaserBlaster is GOOD.

D.R. introduced me to the gizzmo last year. I've gone through one (1) set of batteries, whch should mean ~10K trigger pulls.

Dry-fire practice, plus having a buddy watching and reporting on the spot configuration, equals almost instant feedback/correction/repeat the good moves. It also saves a bit on the cost of ammunition, if you know what I mean.

I started out with the great big reflective target you can buy, then put out a whole bunch of taillight reflectors with sticky tape on the back side. Moving the targets around, or better yet having somebody set up reflectors on dummys, is a good way to do drill exercises.

LaserBlaster works in both semi's and revolvers. The hammer fall "jars" the battery forward to make the connection. I guess it is between 1/10th & 1/5th second of laser flash. (And if you screw up your trigger reset you get a "secondary" flash that will drive you nuts till you figure out why it is showing up.)

stay safe.

skidmark
Old April 20, 2005, 01:54 PM   #5
IronGeek

Feedback

Skid,

About having a buddy provide feedback, can't you see the flash yourself? Or is it hard to pick up on these things while you're concentrating on firing? Do you mean when the target is 25 yds away or more?

I was thinking of rigging a video camera to capture laser dots, feeding to a cumulative digital feedback display, showing all of your shots thus far.

This product also has great potential for video games, I'd say...

Any fellow geeks out there interested in collaborating?

S&W M19-3 .357 4"
Old April 20, 2005, 06:51 PM   #6
trlaye

IronGeek,
Already been done. It's called BeamHIt or LaserSHOT. $150 - $10,000.

Tom
Old April 22, 2005, 06:21 AM   #7
skidmark

Location: Richmond VA - home of a street full of second-place trophies.
seeing the LaserBlaster

I can see the LaserBlaster beam flash, but prefer to have somebody else watch for it and call the shot. Depending on your sight picture - 6 o'clock or dead center hold - makes a big difference unless you are using a target that is HIGHLY reflective.

Sort of like shooting plates - if I had a good sight picture & heard the "clang" I do not need to see the plate fall. In a move&shoot drill I see the flash but am 1) pretending it was a great one-shot stop 2) scanning for the next target or where my feet should go next or looking for cover -- so an observer to call shots is a good way to keep honest.

Dry fire practice is different. I use the shape of the beam (movement) to either confirm skillset or diagnose problems. Doing that is easier because I am concentrating on watching the beam.

Without wanting to get off-topic and into another debate on the subject, but D.R. Middlebrook teaches his own brand of P&S, which makes seeing the LaserBlaster much easier than if you are focusing on the front sight.

The LaserBlaster is one more tool in my bag of tricks. I find it has helped me. YMMV always applies.

stay safe.

skidmark