The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 23, 2009, 01:59 PM   #1
Doodlebugger45

The cost of shooting reloads

My business partner doesn't shoot very much so lately he has been amazed at how much I started shooting since I began reloading. He asked me how much it costs now that I reload. So I figured up the costs on a couple different rounds I was shooting a lot. That was kind of interesting so I figured up the cost of everything that I shoot. It's kind of an interesting number to think about in terms of a price per box of 50 (handguns) or 20 (rifles) or even more interesting to think about the cost of every bullet you send downrange. I thought some of you might find it interesting as well so I am passing along those numbers.

For each cartridge, I figured up the cost if you had to buy brand new factory brass to start and then the cost after that when you reuse that brass. The cost of the bullets of course are extremely variable. For some of the rifle cartridges you can spend a whole lot more than I figured here. For all the rifle bullets and the 357 magnum revolver I used a Hornady jacketed bullet. Your costs will vary a bit, but they will probably be fairly close to these.

The interesting thing is that even when factoring in buying brand new brass and a pretty decent bullet, the cost is remarkably similar to the very cheapest factory ammo that I can find on the shelf (if I can find them). Obviously when you reuse the brass, the cost goes way way down.

38 Special - 158 gr cast bullet
New brass included = $0.33/round = $16.50/box of 50
Reused brass cost = $0.13/round = $6.50/box of 50

357 Magnum - 158 gr JHP Hornady bullet
New brass included = $0.44/round = $22.00/box of 50
Reused brass cost = $0.24/round = $12.00/box of 50

45 Colt or 44 Magnum (very similar) - 200 or 240 gr cast bullet
New brass included = $0.41/round = $20.50/box of 50
Reused brass cost = $0.16/round = $8.00/box of 50

243 or 308 rifle (very similar) 100 or 150 gr JHP bullet
New brass included = $0.78/round = $15.60/box of 20
Reused brass cost = $0.41/round = $8.20/box of 50

30-30 150 gr jacketed flat nose
New brass included = $0.68/round = $13.60/box of 20
Reused brass cost = $0.39/round = $7.80/box of 20

7 MM Mag 139 gr JSP
New brass included = $1.00/round = $20.00/box of 20
Reused brass cost = $0.47/round = $9.40/box of 20

45-70 300 gr JHP
New brass included = $1.36/round = $27.20/box of 20
Reused brass cost = $0.68/round = $13.60/box of 20
Old June 23, 2009, 03:05 PM   #2
Sevens

It's a very popular subject, and it's one of the FIRST things that every non-reloader wants to know.

I have a hard time answering the question. It's not difficult to come up with numbers (as you have) but the equipment that I use, the investment that I've made in components (whose cost varies wildly over time) and the time that I've put in to my ammo makes it impossible to put a firm number on them.

In the end, I'd reload most calibers even if it wasn't a cost savings. I do it because I enjoy it.
Old June 24, 2009, 06:57 PM   #3
jamaica

Interesting.

I have loaded for so many years that the equipment was paid off many moons ago. For the most part after you have the brass, I figure you can load for about half of what factory ammo costs. Depends on the cartridge, and the cost of components of course.

Now if you cast your own bullets too, you can drop the cost of expensive stuff like 44 Spl down to 5 cents a shot.

Have a great day!
Old June 24, 2009, 07:02 PM   #4
tomh1426

This makes it easier to figure out http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp
cost me about $6.50 for 50 rounds of .45Colt (after I got brass)
Old June 24, 2009, 07:35 PM   #5
oneounceload

There are a few of those calculators out there and they all work well...I've had my equipment for over 20 years, so prices for new equipment just blows me away.......but I still can load shotshells for under $3/box and 9mm/38 for about the same...(I've had bullets/primers/powder for quite some time).......to see current store prices makes me want to start to play golf
Old June 24, 2009, 11:42 PM   #6
Doodlebugger45

One thing this exercise made me do was to look at the cost of certain components for the more expensive cartridges I shoot. The cost of primers is real cheap for any of them compared to the rest of it. Not much I can do about the cost of powder, and it's not that important anyway until you get into things like the 7 mm mag or 45-70. Brass costs what it does to get it but then you got it. The big variable and a real expense is the cost for bullets.

In my calculations, I always figured when I shoot 38 I use cast bullets but for 357 mag I use jacketed. Obviously that makes the 357 a lot more expensive, because the brass, primer, powder is about the same as the 38.

This has made me do a LOT of reading about the virtues of cast bullets. In my naivety I just figured that you should only shoot jacketed bullets at high velocities. Or that jacketed bullets were the obvious choice for critical situations like shooting at an elk or deer. I have learned that is not always true. For the handguns and at least the 45-70 I have learned that hard cast bullets are perfectly acceptable at velocities over 1100 fps. For some things like shooting at big critters with a 44 mag, they might be preferable even. Too much expansion can be a bad thing.

Now, I don't think I'll be shooting cast bullets in the 7 mm mag or 243 if I'm shooting at a deer, but I can sure reduce my costs for the 357, 44, 45-70 by switching to cast. No, I don't cast my own, but buying them is still cheaper than those premium jacketed bullets.
Old June 25, 2009, 01:15 PM   #7
Russ5924

I was surprised that with new brass the price doubled But not sure that is a fair price since you will use them over and over again. If you are just starting out and you average in your reloading equipment your price should be significantly higher
Old June 25, 2009, 03:37 PM   #8
James R. Burke

That was very interesting. Never really took the time to figure all out that far into it. I new I was saving money but not how much. I pretty much try to buy what I think is the best, and works good for me. Not that I dont like saving money I do. Thanks for the info!