between 150yds and 200yds 6 7.14%
between 200yds and 250yds 1 1.19%
between 250yds and 300yds 0 0%
Over 300yds 1 1.19%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 14, 2007, 08:13 PM   #1
Buzzcook

What range do you usually shoot deer at

I average between 100yds and 150yds. My longest shots were about 250yds and less than 10yds as my closest.
Except for a couple occasions I've only used a .30-06.

I'm asking because it seems like people are more interested in idealizing a particular caliber round rather than considering real world application first.
Old December 14, 2007, 10:26 PM   #2
Boris Bush

My longest shot was at 94 yards with an opensighted 12 gauge, two days earlier I took another deer with the same shotgun at 88 yards. Both are my longest shots to date. other than that every other deer I have shot has been 42 yards or closer with various weapons from 9mm up to the shortest magnum I know of.... the 7.62x39mm
Old December 15, 2007, 12:34 AM   #3
MeekAndMild

The woods in the deep south resemble a jungle. I've hunted areas where you could have a brass band and a dozen baton twirlers 50 yards away and you wouldn't see them.

Unless you're set up in a field I doubt you'd ever get a shot greater than 50 yards. The longest shot I ever bagged a deer was about a 100-125 yards in a green field but typically if you see deer in the woods its more like maximum of 30-40 yards. My average is about 65 yards with maximum of about 100-125 and minimum of 35+/- .

Concerning rifles, I've gotten deer with .243, 6.5 Grendel (the most elegant and efficient deer caliber I know), .270, .35 Rem, .45-70 and .50 muzzle loader, from 100 grain to 325 grain bullets, but I've given serious consideration to trying 00 buckshot due to the short ranges involved.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old December 15, 2007, 01:16 AM   #4
hunter33

I got my first deer this year at about 200 yards.But we mostly see are deer at 100 yards or less.
Old December 15, 2007, 01:21 AM   #5
Southern_guy

Quote:
other than that every other deer I have shot has been 42 yards or closer with various weapons from 9mm up to the shortest magnum I know of.... the 7.62x39mm
9mm for deer? Isn't that illegal in most states?
Old December 15, 2007, 01:46 AM   #6
Boris Bush

Southern_guy

Not in MI.
Old December 15, 2007, 02:28 AM   #7
Desertscout1

I didn't vote because I don't have a "usual" range. I've killed some as close 15 yards and the farthest shot that I can remember on a deer was 320 yards. I guess the most common was between 100 and 200 yards. My farthest elk was 400.

BTW, the 9mm is legal for deer here to but I don't think I'd attack a full-grown mulie with one unless I didn't have any other choice. However, I did kill my deer the last 2 years with a 10 mm.
Glocks are what you show your enemies.
Old December 15, 2007, 04:41 AM   #8
bswiv

I'm with meekandmild on this one. Here in NE FL., unless you sit on a road or a recently cut pine plantation field, the ranges are close. I've taken very few over 75, most at 25 or less.

In fact I've gotten to the point where I'll set up during rifle season just as I used to for bow hunting. Have found it far more interesting watching deer up close. I say "watching" becasue far more often than not it's does or not yet legal bucks that we see.

Gotten to where I'm almost as excited at seing a juvenile buck come in as a shooter becasue it gives me a opportunity to "play" with him and really be attentive to his behavior.

Last season I had a spike come feeding along one morning. He rubbed a tree out on the trail and then feed his way right up under my tree. After a couple of minutes under my tree he just FLOPPED down. Yes FLOPPED!

Somehow it was not how you expect to see a deer lay down but it was almost as it he was knocked cold. He sat down there, ruminating, with his back to the breeze and his eyes and ears facing the other way.

After a few minutes it ocured to me to see what would happen if a twig or a piece of Spanish moss fell on him. Droped a twig on him, expecting a explosion of activity. He shrugged it off, did not even look up to see why it fell?

The point being........set up so the deer come close and you can really see them..........hunting is about far more than just killing.
Old December 15, 2007, 05:35 AM   #9
Hawg

I grew up hunting across soybean fields where if you couldn't make a 300+ yard shot you weren't going to get much meat. Now most of my shots are 100 yds. or less
Old December 15, 2007, 02:30 PM   #10
44capnball

I only say less than 100 yds because I pass up anything much more than that. I hunt with iron sights usually. Sometimes for a change I hunt with a shotgun and keep it closer.

Most of the deer I see in open woods are at 150-200 yards. In treestand I've had shots less than 25 yds away. I have to get some kind of scent blocker because I think the deer are smelling me. Must be all the pork rinds and whiskey. Just kidding.
Old December 22, 2007, 07:01 AM   #11
Kreyzhorse

My longest shot a deer was this year. Killed a doe at 43 yards. Longest deer shot I've ever seen was 120 yards. My hunting partner killed a doe on a two track at that distance on the last day of the hunt.

I hunt out west and my longest shot out there was around 275 yards. That distance is a hell of a thing to get used to when your "long" shots don't usually exceed 40 yards.
Old December 22, 2007, 09:17 AM   #12
castnblast

The longest shot I had was on a coyote at 417 yds per the rangefinder last year. The next longest was at a Nilgai - (exotic antelope from India equal in size to an elk) at every bit of 300. Other than that, I've killed lots of deer w/ a bow between 5 and 50 yds. Lots of deer w/ a rifle, I'd say 90% were 100 yds & under. I've made a few WOW shots, but for the most part, I'm more impressed with the close shots than the far ones...It takes a lot more skill and stealth to shoot em up close than way out there. It takes a better marksman though to hit the AT&T shots... But for me, I like the close range stuff...
Old December 23, 2007, 11:21 PM   #13
Mtn Hawk

Quote:
...for the most part, I'm more impressed with the close shots than the far ones...It takes a lot more skill and stealth to shoot em up close than way out there.
Well said.

I have to wonder about people who shoot game animals at vast distances, as if it's something to be proud of. A glance at a ballistics chart shows how many inches a bullet in flight can deviate from the target in just 100-200 yds. Even the super-duper "magnums" aren't exempt from the laws of physics. Also, almost everything in the field detracts from accurate shooting.

It's sad that so many kids now grow up thinking "hunting" means executing animals at 2-3 times an ethical hunting distance, with of course a large percentage of animals wounded and left to die slow, painful deaths. I have a lot of respect for bowhunters, handgun hunters, and close-range rifle hunters, who have the skill, wisdom, and integrity to really hunt. It's nice to see the great majority of people who voted on this thread do just that.
Old December 24, 2007, 03:09 AM   #14
Desertscout1

Quote:
I have to wonder about people who shoot game animals at vast distances, as if it's something to be proud of. A glance at a ballistics chart shows how many inches a bullet in flight can deviate from the target in just 100-200 yds. Even the super-duper "magnums" aren't exempt from the laws of physics. Also, almost everything in the field detracts from accurate shooting.

It's sad that so many kids now grow up thinking "hunting" means executing animals at 2-3 times an ethical hunting distance, with of course a large percentage of animals wounded and left to die slow, painful deaths. I have a lot of respect for bowhunters, handgun hunters, and close-range rifle hunters, who have the skill, wisdom, and integrity to really hunt. It's nice to see the great majority of people who voted on this thread do just that.
"Vast" distances? What is that, exactly? What some folks from back east think is a "vast" distance", may be a common, every-day shot in places in the west. Glancing at a ballistics chart may tell you how many inches a given bullet drops but if you KNOW your distance and your gun and cartridge and are sportsman enough not to try and take a shot that you are not absolutely sure you can make, then who decided what is "ethical"? I've seen just as many or more people lose deer and other animals at "ethical" distances due to over-confidence as I have long distances due to other factors.
Where are your facts that there are a "large percentage" of animals that have been shot long range that go off and die slow, painful deaths? Do you have any clue how many deer bowhunters lose every year?
"Ethical" is in the mind, not the distance. If you can make a good clean, humane kill at 600 yards, it is just as "ethical" as someone else making the same type of kill at 40 yards.
Glocks are what you show your enemies.
Old December 24, 2007, 10:48 AM   #15
CajunBass

I think the longest shot I ever made was about 35, maybe 40 yards. Most have been right around 20 or so.

Of course I'm using buckshot.

I missed one at 10 yards once. Threw the whole load into the side of a tree.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old December 24, 2007, 11:10 AM   #16
SavageSniper

I made the longest shot ever on a deer this year- 207 yrds. Other than that we are talking 75yrds down to a few feet. Over 40 years of hunting, that says something. I am giving serious thought to all these 300yrd rifles that I have and start using my .44 levergun. To be honest, I think I could have killed one this year with a ballpeen hammer.
Old December 24, 2007, 08:35 PM   #17
Buzzcook

Thanks for the replies guys.
I was browsing through the older threads and found that my question wasn't the most original in the world.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=266313
What average distance do you shoot deer?

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ighlight=range
Typical Range of shot (deer and other medium game)

Long Range Hunt....uh-oh.

Elk Shooting Range

What's the max range you'll shoot at game?

What do you consider practical max range for 30-30 on deer?

What is "Long Range" to you, when hunting?

I've only scanned these threads but it looks like long range bean field hunters in South Dakota are in a minority
Old December 25, 2007, 03:16 AM   #18
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Longest shot, 225 yards. Shortest, 15 yards. Average, in all reality probably between 30 and 50
Old December 28, 2007, 12:08 AM   #19
bclark1

I've taken 5 deer - est. yardage as follows: 190 ('05), 215, 220 ('06, both deer at once), 175, 90 ('07).
Old December 28, 2007, 01:30 AM   #20
YukonKid

i said 200-250, with a winchester model 70 .270 and a 3-9 power scope
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!
Old January 2, 2008, 11:58 AM   #21
geez768

I shoot out to about 200 yrds. I will make some people mad on this subect, because people alwayssay that if you can take a 600 yrd shoot and make a humain kill them its ok and ethical and it may be ok but its not hunting. I know that some of the goats are hard to get close too and out west long shots are normal but I also know guys who hunt in those areas that also get short shoots. I can also punch paper at 400 yrds but I would not take a shoot on a deer from there. This is just my opinion but I feel that in most situations with deer if you can get closer that than 300 yrds it may be time to learn to hunt them better. Ill leave the long range shoots for the range were im just shooting stuff because at most long distances that is all it is, shooting stuff, not hunting. If I lived in a rifle state I may extend to 250 yrds. (I also hunt soybean and corn fields alot)
Old January 2, 2008, 12:41 PM   #22
OJ

Quote:
What range do you usually shoot deer at
Matter of fact, the deer seem to avoid going to the range where I shoot since one was shot there (not by me).

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Last edited by OJ; January 3, 2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old January 3, 2008, 01:27 PM   #23
fxdrider

I've never fired a shot at a deer that was more than 75 yards away. Not by choice....the opportunity just hasn't presented itself. Usually hunt in somewhat thick woods. Although, I saw one crossing a wide-open field once. I shot it, but it was only about 75 yards away. One day I'd like to get a longer shot on one - say 200 yards or so. Just so I can use a little of the potential of my scoped, bolt-action Tikka .308.
Old January 4, 2008, 09:54 PM   #24
mosinfanatic

armalite 300 win mags rule

i have shot 3 deer in the last fortnight below 50 yards, but have taken them at 800 with my armalite it really depends where youre shooting, but remember you can never have to many guns.
Old January 5, 2008, 09:56 AM   #25
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The deer around here are so far off that you gotta put salt on the bullet so the meat won't spoil before you get up to 'em.

Serously, though, sometimes these mulies, ya gotta step on 'em before they'll move. Other times, your first sight will be at three or four hundred yards, and he's in fifth gear and wide open throttle.