The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old February 20, 2007, 12:17 AM   #1
Mtschust

Reasonable groups

What is a decent group from 7 yards with a 9mm or .45 I have not been able to put more than a couple shots on top of each other and feel I need more training. Any book or video reccomendations?
Old February 20, 2007, 12:50 AM   #2
capbuster

since you are shooting at 7 yards I would imagine that you are working on defensive type shooting skills. you might pick up some cheap paper plates to use as targets. at 7 yds try to get center hits with your handgun. with a little practice you should be getting a group about the size of your fist. when you really start tearing the center out,move your paper plate out farther such as 15 yards. This will give you a new challenge. later you can try your hand at 25yards and beyond.use varibles such as shooting strong hand only,weak hand only,drawing and shooting, and shooting from a ready position to name a few.
Old February 20, 2007, 12:53 AM   #3
Mtschust

indoor range

THe range I have been going to only has a 50 foot facility. I have been guessing about the distance to the target because the distances are not marked. Also, is a group a full magazine, ten shots, or what? I have just been putting like ten or more rounds in the target, checking it out and then continuing on.
Old February 20, 2007, 01:39 AM   #4
Lurper

A "decent group" depends on the purpose you are shooting for. If you are shooting for pure accuracy, you should be able to shoot 1-2" group at 7 yards. If you are shooting for practical purposes, then the group size is only equally as important as the speed with which you hit the target. Being able to shoot a 1" 5 shot group means nothing if it takes you 5 or 6 seconds to do so. On the other hand, a 8" group in half that time is decent in practical terms.
Old February 23, 2007, 05:36 PM   #5
JDG

I'm happy with groups like in my pic at 25', that was aimed fire, with a second to reaim between shots.If I'm drawing from my holster and quickly putting 2 shots on target, I'm happy keeping everything on a paper plate