The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 20, 2010, 10:36 AM   #26
REL1203

Where can you thread a power cord through?
Old April 20, 2010, 10:45 AM   #27
ZeSpectre

Most safes have a pre drilled hole. You run this style of cord through and then attach it to a surface mount power socket like this one and mount the power socket inside.
Old April 20, 2010, 11:26 AM   #28
F. Guffey

Refrigerator compressors run on electricity, the pot is sealed against the atmosphere and run on pressure and a vacuum, the safe is too low tech?, I purchases a (small) bull eye (Louisiana light strapped to the head for alligators, coon hunting and I suppose going through the safe when the electricity is off), it has a lot of uses and cost less than $4.00 from Harbor Freight, it works great until the grand children find out where the switch is located.

F. Guffey
Old April 20, 2010, 12:20 PM   #29
oneounceload

If you have a predrilled hole for a goldenrod dehumidifier, you can fit another cord through (or do what I did and drilled a hole from the inside out - took a few minutes but it wasn't hard)
Old April 20, 2010, 12:32 PM   #30
Brandy

Living in Key West and Wyoming

I see the extremes. In WY I put two cans of damp rid in the bottom of the safe and replace the product once a year. In Fl, a whole different story. We hardly ever use A/C so humidity is 80%-100%. The best thing I have found is to treat guns with the Brownells anti rust oil, put the guns in the cases with the Intercept technology (made by Boyt, available from Sinclair) and put an old sock filled with Brownells dessicant in the case. Each gun is uncased every two months and the dessicant checked for color change (it can be "baked" to refresh it). The cases are expensive but so far have worked 100% perfectly and a lot cheaper than what I had to pay to have a Sauer drilling's barrel re-rustblued after they got rust spots in 2 weeks in a brand new "rustproof" silicon treated sleeve..

http://www.boytharness.com/catalog/a...tion=1&x=0&y=0

Also found them at a substantial discount from Opticsplanet.
The LE is a shotgun case, the LER a scoped rifle case, all are $49.99 each, just ordered four more LER 46" ones.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/boyt-har...ment-case.html

Last edited by Brandy; April 20, 2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old April 22, 2010, 12:09 AM   #31
highvel

The higher the temp the higher humidity, that being said, what you want is constant temp,i.e (heated rod) so the humidity is constant. If the temperature is fluctuating the cooler steel will condense moisture out of the warmer air and corosion will occur. That is why the steel condenses moisture on it when you go from a cold place like outside into a warm room, it will not condense when you go from warm to cold.

If you use a constant temp and find your humidity is too high for your storage area your best bet is desicant dryers of some form or another, however you need to have some humidity in the air, if you remove too much you can end up with damaged wood finishes, or cracked stocks from too low a humidity level.
Just my two cents

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old April 23, 2010, 01:52 AM   #32
JStetson

We've had a lot of customers who have either fabricated their door jams with a small seal or have used moisture absorbers like the "Keep it Dry" Closet Dehumidifier.

Hope this helps.
Old April 25, 2010, 02:30 AM   #33
Venom1956

I am in WI and currently have my guns stored in the basement... No other viable option. Winter its easy to keep them around 20% humidity but now since its warmer the basement is much more damp I have a heat rod and silica packs. Its around 40% percent. Thinking about Borestores as well. Anyone else find that to be acceptable humidity levels?
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old April 25, 2010, 11:05 AM   #34
Brandy

Intercept technology cases are on sale at

The Sportsman Warehouse for shotguns and conventional scoped rifles (not ARs). They really do work...heck if they work in Key West they'll work anywhere!
Old April 26, 2010, 09:51 AM   #35
a1abdj

Quote:
I am in WI and currently have my guns stored in the basement... No other viable option. Winter its easy to keep them around 20% humidity but now since its warmer the basement is much more damp I have a heat rod and silica packs. Its around 40% percent. Thinking about Borestores as well. Anyone else find that to be acceptable humidity levels?

45% to 55% at 70 degrees is ideal for guns. This is especially true if you are storing guns with wood stocks or leather accessories. To little humity will draw moisture out of wood and leather causing damage.

I would keep the dry rod, and get rid of the silica. I would also get a hygrometer to keep an eye on the actual humidity level within the safe.