The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 7, 2005, 12:22 PM   #251
Low Key

The 1858 Remington will hold 40 gr of fffg blackpowder, I loaded a cylinder myself last night. Mikes right, you have room for grease over the ball if you want it too. Minus the wad under the ball and you have room for 45 gr, just barely, but I don't recommend it.
Old December 7, 2005, 01:47 PM   #252
MPP1423

Low Key,
I Use 40 Gr Of 777 With A Wad And There's No Problems Either.it Does Have A Big Bang Though.the Accuracy Is Still Good Too.i Go From 25-40 Gr Depending On If Im Hunting Or At The Range.no Matter,they Are Just Plain Fun To Shoot!
Old December 8, 2005, 01:55 AM   #253
Smokin_Gun

BP Conversion Sheet

Try this for data on FFg 777 loads...http://www.curtrich.com/BPConversionSheet.htm
Old December 8, 2005, 02:31 AM   #254
MPP1423

smokin gun,
i use the info from hogdon's site on 777 reloads.its simply and easier to read.
Old December 8, 2005, 02:38 AM   #255
Smokin_Gun

It ain't that hard...

But do you realize that 40.5gr of FFg 777 equates to 65 gr of FFg Goex from the Hogdon charts? All you do is find a BP load go to the 777 adjusted load and that's what you'd use.
http://www.curtrich.com/BPConversionSheet.htm
Old December 8, 2005, 03:16 AM   #256
gmatov

Smoke,

Damn, Kevin sounds like you do on the other board.

Nuh, just use your measurer, plenty good enough, they always throw the same charge.

Now you're thinkin that he's usin a MEASURER that will fit 40 gr under a ball and wad in a 58 and he uses 777, and you are worried that he is shooting 50% overloads.

Thanks, Pal, I think you are seeing what I am trying to say.

You got to measure the load, then weigh the load then adjust the MEASURE to that load. And, with the hotter powders, you gotta be even more careful.

You mention deer antler measures, elsewhere. I got antlers in the garage, be nice to cut a tine off, drill a hole in it, WEIGH the volume, drill a little deeper till I got a true measure, but I will WEIGH the powder in the hole, to check volume. Then I will shoot by volume that the horn tip throws.

Cheers,

George
Old December 8, 2005, 03:25 AM   #257
Smokin_Gun

No George I'm not worried..it's MPP's gun and he's a big boy and can do as he pleases, the numbers are there if anyone wants to use them...it's you that I worry about cause you still don't get it...wellI give up on you in this forum too...all these other guys understand volumetric measuring devices but you still don't...that's what I can't understand george, how you can't or won't seem to understand something so simple...you win geoge i give up on you...

FYI you outta read the last posted pages before you reply george....
Old December 8, 2005, 03:48 AM   #258
gmatov

Smoke,

Damn, you can take a fist and drop a ball on it and cover it with powder and say, "That's the way you measure this stuff."

Or you can do like everybody else and weigh the charge from your measure and say "Yup, 35 grs is what you shoot, and if you'll look at my MEASURER, you'll see that I scratched a line here, below the 25 mark that WEIGHS 35 grs."

****, I say everybody else, and apparently NOBODY else has ever weighed their charge, just take it on faith that CVA and Treso and anybody else that has a plastic injection molding company really gives a damn what you do.

Hey, I give up, you won't even check your charge and come back and say . yup, it's right on is like sayin' God said it, I believe it, that settles it.

With you, I can't argue. You will not listen to any kind of reason. You know what's what, and that is all there is to say.

I give up, for the last time,

Cheers,

George
Old December 8, 2005, 03:59 AM   #259
gmatov

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/muzzlelo...p-and-ball.php

Kevin,

I think Smoke is trying to tell you that the "kinda hot" is because you are shooting "WAY" hot. Link above is the EASY Hodgon's site that says the 58 should shoot 25 grs 777. That is close to 40 grs BP. 40 grs VOLUME 777 is like 60 grs BP. So, yeah, it's kinda hot, but hey, you like it, shoot it at your own risk, nobody on here said to use that hot a load.

I will advise against it, but do what you want. It's your hands, your gun, just try to shoot without any innocent bystanders nearby.

Cheers,

George
Old December 8, 2005, 11:06 AM   #260
MPP1423

you know guys,we never had these kinda back and fourth discussions till some of you came aboard! i use hodgon's site on 777 cause i dont use goex!and if im loading my gun to hot i have done so for 11 yrs now,damn thing aint blown up yet!i didnt just start yesterday either!you know,most of us on here came to learn and enjoy each others words and thats it!i have to put up with arguing at work so i dont expect to have to see it here at a fun place!if yall want to argue please go somewhere else cause the rest of use are trying to have fun!! thank you.
Old December 8, 2005, 11:38 AM   #261
Remington kid

Kevin, Whats the load you used in the Ruger for this last deer you got? Did you use your conicals? Whatever it was that you used it must have worked just as my Remington did on my gun season deer.
When I get my .36 it will be carried around the house with a good accurate load and used for snakes and other ferrous critters in these hills. Not to many Bear right around the house here but lot's of snakes and it never fails that I don't find one or two while mowing. I'm think of getting or making a rig where I can wear this .36 cross draw style across my chest while mowing and working around the house. You know what I mean? Something like a hunting rig for the big magnums.
Old December 8, 2005, 11:42 AM   #262
MPP1423

mike
i beleive it was 42gr of 777 and yes i used my hollow point conicals.great shooting piece.i want a .36 and a .31.the .31 i hope i can get tomorrow from dixie.i have to see how much overtime is on the check.lol.
Old December 8, 2005, 12:29 PM   #263
Smokin_Gun

Public Forum?

Well MPP I'm sorry you are so bitter about me posting a facts page to do with this thread. I didn't post it for you, I posted it for Public info. I never said a thing about the way you load your guns it was just a chart for everyone. I was told there were friendly, knowledgable people in here. Which I thought was true till you just told me to leave a public forum for discussing something pertinant to the topic. Sorry if I struck a nerve and sorry you have such a hard time with stress. But you ain't the Lone Ranger in that Dept., please remember that. I don't feel I was arguing, yes some do like to argue when they feel threatened with facts just like most others do. So thanks for being so friendly and the fine lookin welcome mat at you alls front door. I'll leave MPP' but because I want to not because you think it's your forum and not because you asked me to. Follow?

Far ye Well, reguardless,
SG

Last edited by Smokin_Gun; December 9, 2005 at 01:23 AM.
Old December 8, 2005, 12:57 PM   #264
MPP1423

my point exactly.thank you sir.
Old December 8, 2005, 01:15 PM   #265
Smokin_Gun

What Point ?
Old December 8, 2005, 01:36 PM   #266
Smokin_Gun

Gone....

George I would appreciate you not trying to tell people what I say. Now you gone and done it and we have been asked to leave..Thanks alot george.

FYI members of the Forum gmatov does not speak for me and has not a clue as to what think. Some people can think then type...some just type.
Sorry for him using my name with his thoughts..that weren't right at all.

Later!
Old December 8, 2005, 02:27 PM   #267
Remington kid

Kevin, Thanks for the info. Would have gfotten back on here earlier but we have a bad winter storm coming and my hunting blind was still in the woods. Went and got that and then went to town to get more gas for the generator. The power goes out around here is someone even sneezes to hard!
It was out the other night for four hours and al it did was rain a little We have an all electric home and my generator allows my wife to watch here big screen TV (61") and run all the lights, the Microwave , water pump and a couple of electric heaters so it's not to bad. Just can't run the stove or oven or the heat pump, but we really don't need it.
Now back to guns!
Does anyone make the hollow point conicals like you use for the .36? That would really be cool! Thanks for the info, Mike
Old December 8, 2005, 02:51 PM   #268
MPP1423

I Know What You Mean About The Power Going Out,my Generator Is Stand By As Well.my Power Goes Out Too If The Wind Blows.im Not Sure About The .36 Conical Holoow Points.i Have Never Seen Them In A .36 Any Way.lee May Have A Mold Thats Not Advertised Or Something ,thats Where I Got My Ruger Mold.man,i Should Have Sent You Some Ruger Hollow Point,what Was I Thinkin!!i Didnt Even Think About Them.sorry.im Going To Try And Get That .31.its Made By Palmetto/italy.any Of Yall Heard Of These And How Good Are,just For Shooting?im Not Concerned About The Perfect Looks As Long As It Shoots Ok.hell,for 129.00 Can I Go Wrong?its From Dixie By The Way.
Old December 8, 2005, 06:50 PM   #269
Remington kid

Kevin, I don't have a Ruger anyway, do they fit in your Remingtons as well?
I shot and emptied a cylinder and got it cleaned up spotless to try the ones your sending.
Sure glad I got ready for this ice storm. Everthing out side looks like a big popcicle and the rain keeps pouring down and freezing as it hits.
What a mess! Oh Well, I'm ready and warn and cozy
Old December 8, 2005, 11:15 PM   #270
gmatov

We got an inch or so here, so far, calling for 3 to 6. At least it's a little warmer.

All electric house bothers me. My kid's new house is the same. We lose power here at a sneeze, too. They have a fireplace, but don't know if it will warm the house enough for a toddler and an infant.

Ah, well, my house is close enough to get to in 2 minutes.

Cheers,

George
Old December 9, 2005, 01:43 AM   #271
MPP1423

no mike they dont fit my rem.we didnt get anything but a little rain.guess we lucked out or up.
Old December 9, 2005, 08:04 AM   #272
Remington kid

We had some freezing rain last night and then it warmed up to 37 and it all meted . This morning it's not bad out at all. Just dry and a little breezy. Looks like we missed the bullet! I know some parts of the country got hit bad.
Dragoon, Have your son get a generator and get the main box wired for it . Mine sits out away from the house in my workshop bay area where I keep my tractor and mower. I have a way of turning off the main breaker in my house and then feeding the power from my generator back through the main box. Then I just turn on the breakers I need. Can't even tell it's being run off a generator.

Kevin, Lyman has a starter kit for people like me who just want to cast there own bullets. It looks like it has all you need for melting and casting #10 of lead and it sells for $64,00. What do you think?
Old December 9, 2005, 08:35 AM   #273
Old Dragoon

RK,
That was George's son with the total Electric house, I don't have any kids, wish I did, but I guess I'm to spoil my Nephew and my Great Nephew.

Sounds like you have a great setup for the "lights out " condition. We lose our electricity often here too. When I'm living in MY Silver Streak RV trailer I have Solar Charger, Battery backup, and if the batteirs are low, all I have to do is plug it into the truck for a bit. My other Silver Streak (like an Airstream) had a generator on board. I do need to get a small Gen. I'm in my Boss's 5th Wheel right now, one of the perks of the job. MY RV is parked on the property, ready to roll.
Old December 9, 2005, 11:11 AM   #274
MPP1423

Mike,
I Like The Lee Melting Pots For Casting.at This Time Im Using The Small Pot With The Lyman Ladel But Im Going To Purchase The Bottom Spout Lee Pot Cause The Ladel Is A Pain In The But.i Started Casting My Bp Bullets Sometime Ago And This Set Up Was Good To Start But I Would Get The Bottom Spout If I Were You ,its Much Easier To Fill Your Mould.
Old December 10, 2005, 12:13 AM   #275
gmatov

Mike,

After Christmas, if you still want to get into casting, try www.bosesguns.com
, ordered my Production Pot IV, holds 10 pounds of metal, supposed to melt it in 20 minutes, bottom pour spout, 36 bucks.

2 cavity Lee molds, with handles, 14.58 each, ordered one in 380, one in 451.

With shipping, 71 bucks all told.

Our storm, here, was about 5 inches of snow, but it must have been an inch of snow, a time of freezing rain, then 4 more inches of snow. Took half an hour to clean off the car to go to my daughter and s'in'laws house to check to see if the salamander had run out the first bottle of propane. Have to provide heat, cause the builder won't connect the electric furnace till all the other stuff is done, and the b*****rds won't come around to do that.

Builder sayin' they don't get this that or the other unless they want to pay a ton more, so the boy started to finally read his contract. They're supposed to get this, they don't have it. That, they don't have it. White receptacles instead of ivory, nope you get ivory, unless you want to pay a thousand more. Hook up the electric stovetop and oven, nope, you put in your own instead of ours, we don't do that.

15 pages faxed to their lawyer today about what they ain't gettin' that's in the contract. Wouldn't liisten to the old man who has built a few houses and said he would be the General Contractor (ME).

Ain't gonna be in till the New Year, if then. G'kids still gonna be 35 miles away.

Got a 200 AMP welder generator in the garage, propane fired Onan, 3500 watt. Power goes out here, plug into the wall, flip the main on the panel to not electrocute a lineman working to restore power, and I'm still running. Hate to see the neighbors without power when I got lights, but hey, go buy one.

Cheers,

George

Might be a little off topic. Sorry.